0 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2013 8:35 AM by 965649 RSS

Is there a universally visible table in all OBIEE installations?

Greetings.

I have, in a number of places, used a common trick to create data by selecting static values "from" an application table.

For example, this is an excerpt from a Dashboard prompt's SQL expression -

SELECT
      tab.ou
      FROM (

(SELECT 'SM_AT_OU' ou, "- Nx_CSDG0_Repair_Orders (Depot Repair Views)".Repair_Number
      FROM "[Noetix-NoetixGlobalRepository] NoetixViews for Oracle Service"
      WHERE "- Nx_CSDG0_Repair_Orders (Depot Repair Views)".Repair_Number = '325405') union

(SELECT 'SM_AU_OU' ou, "- Nx_CSDG0_Repair_Orders (Depot Repair Views)".Repair_Number
      FROM "[Noetix-NoetixGlobalRepository] NoetixViews for Oracle Service"
      WHERE "- Nx_CSDG0_Repair_Orders (Depot Repair Views)".Repair_Number = '325405') union

Anyhow, the idea is that Order Number 325405 is meaningless - just used "because it is there", and because I need to (quickly) get back a list of "ou" values.

Here's the problem - as my application is distributed across the business, it turns out that not all users have access to all rows in this table! (Repair Orders). Thus, this SQL returns no rows for those users.

My question is - can you think of a table that is always (or almost always) delivered as part of an OBIEE (10.3) install that will be visible to everyone? Of course, I immediately tried DUAL - but this is not visible in my installation.

Alternatively, maybe you can propose an alternative to my (simple-minded ?) approach.

I should mention that I cannot alter the back end (or middle end) - any solution must be achievable using techniques that only rely on the OBIEE "user interface."

Thank you!

CSeelig