This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2013 11:02 AM by Michael Ferrante (Oracle) RSS

display high resolution scanned tiff images in oracle forms 10g

1003234 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
i need to display high resolution scanned tiff images in oracle forms 10g. i have used read_image_file to do this. i could able to get normal tiff images but could not load high resolution scanned tiff images (size is less than 1mb) in forms. Any help would be appreciated

thank you
david

Edited by: 1000231 on Apr 15, 2013 9:15 PM
  • 1. Re: display high resolution scanned tiff images in oracle forms 10g
    Amatu Allah Guru
    Hi
    Pls try to use IRFANVIEW program to adjust resolution...
    U can down load it the following link http://www.irfanview.com/
    Amatu Allah
  • 2. Re: display high resolution scanned tiff images in oracle forms 10g
    1003234 Newbie
    Actually we dont want to reduce the resolution, as we need good quality while zooming. The image must be opened only in the form.
    thank you
    david
  • 3. Re: display high resolution scanned tiff images in oracle forms 10g
    FrançoisDegrelle Oracle ACE
    Hello,

The formats Forms recognize do not evoluate for a long time, so that I'm affraid you have no chance to read some more recent format files.

Francois
  • 4. Re: display high resolution scanned tiff images in oracle forms 10g
    Michael Ferrante (Oracle) Guru Moderator
    You haven't exactly explained what the problem is nor have you provided the exact Forms version you are using, so providing specific help will be difficult. You should alway include complete product versions when posting technical questions on any forum.

As for TIF image support, although Forms hasn't offered many changes to image support in a long time, some changes have been made. However, one thing that remains the same is that Forms does not support multi-page TIF and does not support many of the compression formats. However, Forms recently added support for TIF-G4 compression. To enable it you need to add the following to default.env:

MM_USE_TIF_G4=TRUE
  • 5. Re: display high resolution scanned tiff images in oracle forms 10g
    1003234 Newbie
    i am using forms builder version 10.1.2.0.2. here is my code for the image
    begin
    ---Image Display start
         Declare
                   image_dir VARCHAR2(80):='C:\image_dir\';
                   photo_filename VARCHAR2(80);
         Begin
              :system.message_level:=25;
              photo_filename :=image_dir||'abcd.tiff';
              read_image_file(photo_filename,'tif','cntl.image');
              image_zoom('cntl.image',adjust_to_fit);
         End;
    --- Image Display end
    end;

the scanned image dimensions are 10393*7369 and size is 244KB. i tried to save the image in jpeg and load it, but the image is not displayed.

Michael Ferrant... i tried ur solution but could not get it.

thank you
    david
  • 6. Re: display high resolution scanned tiff images in oracle forms 10g
    FrançoisDegrelle Oracle ACE
    The Irfanview tool can display the compression type for every image. You could see if that kind of compression in handled by Forms.

Francois
  • 7. Re: display high resolution scanned tiff images in oracle forms 10g
    I just tested this in 10.1.2.3 generally speaking it works. The situations that do not work are related to the file compression type and EXIF data (where applicable). I tested with a 4288x2848 image that resulted in approximately a 5.5 meg file size.

o In jpg format, the image would not load when it contained EXIF data. Once the EXIF data was removed the full image was properly displayed.

o For tif formats, results appear to be inline with what is described in the Builder Online help. Here is a snippet from the Builder Help:
    <blockquote>Format: TIFF4, 5, & 6
    Feature: Monochrome, 8-bit gray, 4 and 8-bit LUT, 24-bit RGB, Planar data, Tiled data, Intel byte order, Motorola byte order, Photometric interpretation, MSB/LSB
    Compression: Packbits, CCITT G3 (FAX), CCITT G4 (FAX), LZW, LZW with horizontal difference, JPEG. Oracle Forms does not support multi-page TIFF</blockquote>
    My recommendation are as follows:

1. Install the 10.1.2.3 patch set
    2. Remove ":system.message_level:=25;" from your code so you can actually see the error that results.
    3. Avoid using tif if possible.
    4. If avoiding tif is not possible try using a different tif format
  • 8. Re: display high resolution scanned tiff images in oracle forms 10g
    1003234 Newbie
    hello

here are the details of the image which i found in irfanview

compression: CCITT Group 4 Fax Encoding
    resolution: 300*300 dpi
    original size: 10393 x 7369 Pixels (76.59 MPixels) (1.41)

Does the oracle forms builder version 10.1.2.0.2 support the above format. It takes time for me to get the patch. I ll try to apply patch when i get it. Is there any alternative solution for this.

thank you
    david

Edited by: 1000231 on Apr 17, 2013 11:19 PM

Edited by: 1000231 on Apr 17, 2013 11:19 PM
  • 9. Re: display high resolution scanned tiff images in oracle forms 10g
    Please refer to my previous update where I explain where you can find information on which formats are supported. I included the list in my update.

If you have determined that the file is CCITT Group 4 then you will only be able to display them when you properly set MM_USE_TIF_G4=TRUE in default.env (or your custom file if you created one). That said, I still recommend applying 10.1.2.3. Also remember that images will not appear in the Builder. They will only appear at runtime.

Finally, as previously mentioned, remove this line of code so that you can see exactly why it isn't working:
    <blockquote>:system.message_level:=25;</blockquote>
  • 10. Re: display high resolution scanned tiff images in oracle forms 10g
    1003234 Newbie
    hello

thanks Michael Ferrante for your suggestion. I can give you feedback on monday as i am out of the city. i need this thread to be active. I need your suggestions.

thank you very much
    david
  • 11. Re: display high resolution scanned tiff images in oracle forms 10g
    user12072642 Newbie
    Hi Michael,
    you seem very knowledgable on this subject so I thought I'd give this a try.
    We are running forms 10.1.2.0.2
    datebase server 10.2.0.4
    application server 10.1.2.3

We have a customer who does TIF images....I have an oracle form that displays that image in an image item using READ_IMAGE_FILE.
    They create most of their TIF images using corel draw, saving to a .cdr file, and then exporting to a TIF file. there are different sizes.
    This was working fine UNTIL we installed patch 14825718 to resolve the java 7 issues.

Is there some setting that could have gotten 'reset' from installing that patch.
    The wierd thing is - this patch was installed on different servers, on one it is not failing, on the other 3 it is.

It does seem to be 'size' related....if I pick something with dimensions smaller than 1500x700, they display fine...
    1500x900 seems to be a 'toss up' as to whether it will display or not.
    over that fails with the FRM-92102 error and you lose connection and have to close out.

These TIFS have existed for a long time in some cases, the form has worked for years.
    Any idea?
    Kellie
  • 12. Re: display high resolution scanned tiff images in oracle forms 10g
    Patch 14825718 assumes you first have 10.1.2.3 in place and not 10.1.2.0. Did you try to install this patch on top of 10.1.2.0? You indicated that you have Forms 10.1.2.0 and Application Server 10.1.2.3. I'm not sure how that is possible since patching Application Server to 10.1.2.3 will also patch Forms in that environment to 10.1.2.3 also. If however you do/did have Forms 10.1.2.0 and somehow managed to get the patch installed, you may have created a mess.

Also, Java 7 is not supported for use with any Forms version older than 11.1.1.6. The patch you applied is intended for Oracle EBusiness customers only. Although there likely would not be a problem using this patch outside of the EBiz environment, understand that Oracle Support (specifically the Forms team) may not assist you with such a configuration or while using Java 7 since it is not certified with this Forms version for non-Ebiz users.

If you are finding that you have more than one server with the same patches installed and the problem only reproduces when accessing specific servers, likely the client jar cache ("Temporary Internet file") needs to be cleared. This can be done from the Java Control Panel on each client machine. This is not the same as the browser cache, so don't waste time clearing the browser. Close all open browsers then open the Java Control Panel and clear the Temporary Internet Files and retest.

However, as mentioned, your current configuration technically isn't considered "certified".
  • 13. Re: display high resolution scanned tiff images in oracle forms 10g
    user12072642 Newbie
    Hi Michael,
    Yes our application server was at 10.1.2.3 before the patch was installed. The forms version was the forms builder....but that probably doesn't enter into the equation. The forms are compiled on the app server.
    We know the patch configuration with Java 7/ oracle 10g is not supported..but we do not have control of our client machines...so this was a way to make it 'work' while we get another release together and we are upgrading to Oragle 11 in the next couple of months.
    But as I said, everything seemed to be working fine, until someone got to displaying a large TIF image in one of the forms. Actually, there are three forms that allow you to display the same images...it does not work in any of the three. They do pull into reports fine and display and print.
    Are there other environment variables that deal specifically with TIF files other than the one you mentioned above? which I am trying to try but my app server doesn't seem to want to come back up. ugh.
    Kellie
  • 14. Re: display high resolution scanned tiff images in oracle forms 10g
    I would recommend the following (assuming you have an account with Oracle Support):

1. Create a Service Request with Oracle Support
    2. Create a very simple test case which illustrates how your application loads the image into the form. Verify that you can reproduce the failure with this test case.
    3. Provide Support with the test case and at least one image that works correctly and one that does not.

They should be able to help identify if the issue is in a lack of support for the image format or if there is a defect in Forms or if there is an issue in the code you are using. However, keep in mind that because Forms 10 is no longer entitled to Error Correction Support, they will run your test case against a currently supported version like 11.1.2.1. If the problem reproduces in that version and the images are deemed of a supportable format, a product defect (bug) can be filed against the new Forms version. A fix will not be provide versions older than 11.1.1.6

If you are not willing or able to contact Support, your only other option that I can think of would be to change the file format or create a java bean that supports the format you need.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points