This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: May 4, 2013 3:18 AM by Kirill.Boyko RSS

Using Tableau and importing Microsoft SSAS's XMLA files

user7341600 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Our current OLAP environment uses Tableau as the visualization tool on top of Microsoft SSAS cube. Oracle is used as the database from which Microsoft Cube is built.

Current Configuration:
Presentation layer: Tableau
Cube layer: Microsoft SSAS
DB layer: Oracle

We want to move from Microsoft SSAS to Oracle OLAP because the latter is embedded within the Oracle DB. My questions are:

1. Does Tableau work with "Oracle OLAP", like it does with Oracle and Oracle Essbase?
2. Is there a way to import cube definitions from Microsoft SSAS in XMLA into Oracle database using Analytic Workspace Manager?

Thanks,
Logan
  • 1. Re: Using Tableau and importing Microsoft SSAS's XMLA files
    Nasar Journeyer
    (1). As long as Tableau can work against Oracle database and can generate sql SELECT statements, then it can also work Oracle OLAP data. When you create a dimension or a cube, olap engine automatically generates CUBE_TABLE views, which can be queried just like regular sql views. The naming convention for those views are
    <DIM_NAME>_VIEW
    <DIM_NAME>_<HIER_ID>_VIEW
    <CUBE_NAME>_VIEW

If you have created any AW, then you should see these sql views in your schema.

(2). I doubt there is any utility to "import cube definitions from Microsoft SSAS in XMLA into Oracle database using Analytic Workspace Manager".
    It is a one time task to create AW and all its objects (using AWM), which does not take much time - assuming your source sql tables/views which will "map" to dimensions and cubes are ready.

Keep in mind that many operations that you do in MSAS are "pushed" into relational logic in source views (of cubes and dimensions) when working with Oracle OLAP.
    That is why you see relatively less functionality in AWM compared to MSAS development environment.

• 2. Re: Using Tableau and importing Microsoft SSAS's XMLA files
    Kirill.Boyko Newbie
    Hi Logan!

I am also interested in merging OLAP option with Tableau desktop using native drivers. Unfortunately, I did not have time to study this question in detail. Try to look these options:
    http://www.simba.com/MDX-Provider-for-Oracle-OLAP.htm
    http://www.simba.com/news/Simba-Announces-Release-of-XMLA-Provider-for-Oracle-OLAP-2.0.htm

Will be great to see some updates from you

Regards,
    Kirill

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points