6 Replies Latest reply: May 5, 2013 7:17 AM by Srini Chavali-Oracle RSS

ORA-12546 TNS Permission Denied-Database configuration assistant

Hi there!
      I just installed Oracle database 10.1.0 on my home system. While the installation went fine, and the other configuration assistants also did their job, the problem started during the Database configuration assistant. After putting in and configuring all required details to make a database I clicked the 'Finish' button. At the instant the process of creation started a pop up appeared saying 'ORA-12546 TNS Permission Denied' asking me to ignore or abort.

I tried to start SQL *Plus with the username password - system/manager but it gave TNS protocol adapter error.

Can someone please advise me what to do? I have a Windows 7 32-bit PC named - Shikhar-PC. The contents of listener.ORA and tnsnames.ORA are as follows:

listener.ora*

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
      (SID_LIST =
      (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
      (ORACLE_HOME = D:\oracle\product\10.1.0\db_1)
      (PROGRAM = extproc)
      )
      )

LISTENER =
      (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
      (DESCRIPTION =
      (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))
      )
      (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = Shikhar-PC)(PORT = 1521))
      )
      )
      )

tnsnames.ora_

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
      (DESCRIPTION =
      (ADDRESS_LIST =
      )
      (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SID = PLSExtProc)
      (PRESENTATION = RO)
      )
      )

Any help would be appreciated! And by the way I am a newbie so please bear me!

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: ORA-12546 TNS Permission Denied-Database configuration assistant
          sb92075
          1004111 wrote:
          Hi there!
          I just installed Oracle database 10.1.0 on my home system. While the installation went fine, and the other configuration assistants also did their job, the problem started during the Database configuration assistant. After putting in and configuring all required details to make a database I clicked the 'Finish' button. At the instant the process of creation started a pop up appeared saying 'ORA-12546 TNS Permission Denied' asking me to ignore or abort.

I tried to start SQL *Plus with the username password - system/manager but it gave TNS protocol adapter error.

Can someone please advise me what to do? I have a Windows 7 32-bit PC named - Shikhar-PC. The contents of listener.ORA and tnsnames.ORA are as follows:

listener.ora*

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
          (SID_LIST =
          (SID_DESC =
          (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
          (ORACLE_HOME = D:\oracle\product\10.1.0\db_1)
          (PROGRAM = extproc)
          )
          )

LISTENER =
          (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
          (DESCRIPTION =
          (ADDRESS_LIST =
          )
          (ADDRESS_LIST =
          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = Shikhar-PC)(PORT = 1521))
          )
          )
          )

tnsnames.ora_

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
          (DESCRIPTION =
          (ADDRESS_LIST =
          )
          (CONNECT_DATA =
          (SID = PLSExtProc)
          (PRESENTATION = RO)
          )
          )

Any help would be appreciated! And by the way I am a newbie so please bear me!

Thanks.
          V10 is obsoleted & unsupported.

Which Windows 7 Edition runs this PC.
          No Oracle version is ever certified on any Windows Home Edition.

was Oracle installation done while logged into the OS as "system administrator"?

Getting TNS error when not using SQL*Net; indicates an OS/Networking misconfiguration

is/was loopback connector properly installed?
          • 2. Re: ORA-12546 TNS Permission Denied-Database configuration assistant
            damorgan
            Correction:

Oracle Database 10g is supported. So are Oracle 9i, 8i, 8.0, etc.

Database Version 10.1 and 10.2 are in desupport mode which means that a customer must pay extra for an extended support contract and Oracle no longer creates patches.

Nothing precludes a customer with an extended support contract from opening an SR and obtaining help and downloading existing patches.
            • 3. Re: ORA-12546 TNS Permission Denied-Database configuration assistant
              Srini Chavali-Oracle
              10gR1 was never supported/certified with any Win 7 OS - http://docs.oracle.com/html/B10130_02/reqs.htm#CHDHGGFE

The only supported/certified combination is 10.2.0.5 on Win 7 Professional (or higher) - therefore, your issues should not be a matter of surprise. Assuming you have Win 7 Professional or higher, is there a reason you cannot install 11.2.0.1 ?

HTH
              Srini
              • 4. Re: ORA-12546 TNS Permission Denied-Database configuration assistant
                Hi
                Thanks for the awesome response. I installed this one because I had the installer hands-on. Will it work in XP?
                Thanks
                • 5. Re: ORA-12546 TNS Permission Denied-Database configuration assistant
                  ora_tech
                  HI,
                  Thanks for the awesome response. I installed this one because I had the installer hands-on. Will it work in XP?
                  yes I blv it should work on XP.

thanks,
                  X A H E E R
                  • 6. Re: ORA-12546 TNS Permission Denied-Database configuration assistant
                    Srini Chavali-Oracle
                    1004111 wrote:
                    Hi
                    Thanks
                    If by "it" you mean 10gR1 software, then the answer will depend on which version of XP - Professional version is the only version certified - see link I posted above

HTH
                    Srini