This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2013 12:39 PM by Stefan Jager RSS

How to display the data store in Oracle Spatial?

Latvian83 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello everyone,

I am totally newbie in Oracle Spatial and to GIS in general. I have started playing around with Oracle Spatial and did an example which is to store a couple of polygons in Oracle and my question is: how to view/display the stored data (in my case the polygons) using Oracle?

Thanks in advance
  • 1. Re: How to display the data store in Oracle Spatial?
    NoelKhan Journeyer
    Latvian83,

The Oracle database doesn't have any tools to help you see your spatial data, but there's a plethora of tools you could use. The lowest hanging fruit would be:

[1] Oracle 10g Client > Oracle Enterprise Manager > Tools > Database Applications > Spatial Index Advisor
    This may be the easiest way to view data, but it has its flaws. Arcs are sometimes flipped and rendered as circles

[2] Oracle SQL Developer > GeoRaptor
    [ SQL Developer | http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/sql-developer/overview/index.html ]
    [ GeoRaptor | http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/georaptor/index.php?title=Main_Page ]

Some mapping applications like AutoCAD, ArcMap and Geomedia can connect to your database through Oracle client. Many other mapping tools like Gaia and OpenLayers can view data published by software like GeoServer or ArcGIS Server. What tools do you have?

Regards,
    Noel
  • 2. Re: How to display the data store in Oracle Spatial?
    Latvian83 Newbie
    Noel Khan wrote:
    Latvian83,
    Some mapping applications like AutoCAD, ArcMap and Geomedia can connect to your database through Oracle client. Many other mapping tools like Gaia and OpenLayers can view data published by software like GeoServer or ArcGIS Server. What tools do you have?

Regards,
    Noel
    Thank you very much for your reply. I have both ArcMap and MapInfo and I have already made a connection from both applications to the Oracle Server. Now I am facing the problem of viewing the Oracle Spatial data which is stored in Oracle and ways to convert them to both SHAPE files and TAB files. I am doing this as part of a school project.

The thing is, most of the GIS data out there are in SHAPE format so does it make sense to convert the SHAPE files to Oracle Spatial, store it in the Oracle server and then when you want to access it, convert it back to SHAPE files?
  • 3. Re: How to display the data store in Oracle Spatial?
    NoelKhan Journeyer
    Latvian83,
    thing is, most of the GIS data out there are in SHAPE format so does it make sense to convert [between formats]
    Depends.

If you're a data producer that wants to ensure a single version of the truth across your company, then maintaining a central repository makes imminent good sense. The alternative would be people working on likely outdated snap-shots of data – stored on their PCs as well as duplicated on file-servers -- bumbling along creating derivatives and passing on the results as if they were valid... Anyhow, spatial analysts would also benefit from a single version of truth.

Data consumers who just want the latest mashups may not want to be bothered with the translation in/out of a database.

Then there’s a grey area with transformations: I've seem instances where it was more expedient to pull data into ArcMap for a massive transformation than performing a similar operation within Oracle.

Regards,
    Noel

(I'm sure you've already found it, but you can right-click on a legend entry on ArcMap's Table of Contents and find the Export to ShapeFile option on the context-menu.)
  • 4. Re: How to display the data store in Oracle Spatial?
    Stefan Jager Journeyer
    In my experience the (by now very old) shapefile format is mainly used as an exchange format, to exchange information. Almost everybody uses some sort of database (in NL it's mostly Oracle) to store their data, because as Noel says: you only want one version of the truth. And even if you need more versions (like variations on a design or something), Oracle can provide those for you (Workspace Manager).

That said: it really depends on your business case: If you're a one-man shop, and mostly deal with customers that use ESRI, then why invest in anything else? If on the other hand you're a multinational with 1000 GIS analysts, you want one central warehouse that everyone can use. And with file-based systems, you usually run into problems with multiple users as well, which is also a big consideration.

And for transformations: I recently started learning FME, and I was surprised at how powerful that is, to be honest. For storage Oracle is still my alltime favourite, because of the many possibilities (add OWM, APEX and MapViewer and there's virtually no limit anymore...)

Regards,
    Stefan

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points