This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2013 12:15 PM by user12060737 RSS

Tutor 14 and Visio. Can I use without other Oracle modules?

user12060737 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Can anyone clarify what I can do with Visio process maps and Tutor? I'm reading the implementation guide but it keeps referring to Oracle BPM and I don't think we have that. I was hoping to be able to use our exisitng Visio process maps in my Tutor procedures, but I'm not sure how to do it, and what the end result would be. I'd be grateful for any suggesions or examples anyone has. Thanks!
  • 1. Re: Tutor 14 and Visio. Can I use without other Oracle modules?
    EmilyChorba Newbie
    With Tutor Author, you can import a Visio VDX file. Depending on the quality of the visio flow diagram, it will be converted into the Tutor narrative text format and is formatted using the standard Tutor paratraph styles.

If you have Oracle BPM, you can import a VDX file into Oracle BPM and get a swimlane flow diagram that can be modified and used to help execute workflow.

The intent of the import model feature in both Oracle Tutor and Oracle BPM is to extend the use and value of the Visio diagram, since visio diagrams often become static and out of date quickly after being created.

If you are familiar with Tutor, you know how easy it is to update the narrative text of a procedure and then flowchart it in one click.

Does this help?
    Kind regards,
    Emily
  • 2. Re: Tutor 14 and Visio. Can I use without other Oracle modules?
    user12060737 Newbie
    Hi Emily: thanks for your response. Do you know where in the manuals I can get details for troubleshooting the import feature? I seem to be getting multiple errors trying to import. Thanks so much, Heather
  • 3. Re: Tutor 14 and Visio. Can I use without other Oracle modules?
    EmilyChorba Newbie
    Hi Heather,

If you are getting error messages when importing a VDX model into Tutor, could you log a Service Request and upload the vdx file you are trying to import along with the erorr messages. It is important for the Oracle Developers to know when you encounter an error as it may be programatic. Please let me know the SR# so I can track it. You can reply to this post with your SR #

Kind regards,
    Emily
  • 4. Re: Tutor 14 and Visio. Can I use without other Oracle modules?
    user12060737 Newbie

When I run the import with one of the Tutor BPM files, it works correctly. My hunch is that the format on our Visio files doesn't conform with the requirements. I'm still learning Visio and BPMN so this is likely the issue. I'll log an SR if I continue to get errors with correctly formatted visio files. Thanks much, Heather

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points