6 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2013 5:31 AM by 945537 RSS

Identifying SRID from .PRJ file

Hi Team,

I have following in .prj file and i need to identify the SRID so that i can import the .shp files into oracle db via map builder.

PROJCS["UTM_Zone_43_Northern_Hemisphere",GEOGCS["GCS_Geographic Coordinate System",DATUM["D_WGS84",SPHEROID["WGS84",6378137,298.257223560493]],PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],UNIT["Degree",0.017453292519943295]],PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"],PARAMETER["latitude_of_origin",0],PARAMETER["central_meridian",75],PARAMETER["scale_factor",0.9996],PARAMETER["false_easting",500000],PARAMETER["false_northing",0],UNIT["Meter",1]]

This site http://prj2epsg.org/search gives more than 1 SRID and i am confused which one to use. I tried EPSG/SRID 24372 and i am successful with the import but when i create a them and overlay on a Base Map, this layer is not appearing on the India Map or any where in the world map +(i suspect the X and Y coordinates are wrong, It has X as 1,294.537839 and Y as 1,252.647797 which in turn caused by wrong SRID)+.

Please advice the fix

Thanks
      Nag
        • 1. Re: Identifying SRID from .PRJ file
          Paul Dziemiela
          Hello Nag,

Have you tried 32643?
          http://www.spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/32643/
          it would seem to be very close to your description.

Cheers,
          Paul
          PROJCS[
             "WGS 84 / UTM zone 43N",
             GEOGCS[
                "WGS 84",
                DATUM[
                   "WGS_1984",
                   SPHEROID[
                      "WGS 84",
                     AUTHORITY["EPSG","7030"]
                   ],
                   AUTHORITY["EPSG","6326"]
                ],
                PRIMEM[
                   "Greenwich",
                   AUTHORITY["EPSG","8901"]
                ],
                UNIT[
                   "degree",
                   AUTHORITY["EPSG","9122"]
                ],
                AUTHORITY["EPSG","4326"]
             ],
             UNIT["metre",1,AUTHORITY["EPSG","9001"]],
             PROJECTION["Transverse_Mercator"],
             PARAMETER["latitude_of_origin",0],
             PARAMETER["central_meridian",75],
             PARAMETER["scale_factor",0.9996],
             PARAMETER["false_easting",500000],
             PARAMETER["false_northing",0],
             AUTHORITY["EPSG","32643"],
             AXIS["Easting",EAST],
             AXIS["Northing",NORTH]
          ]
          • 2. Re: Identifying SRID from .PRJ file
            Hi Paul,

Thank you for looking at this.

I tried with that SRID *(32643)*, i can import the shape successfully and i can see the expected polygons when i create a theme out of the imported table. however, when i overlay this theme over a world map, i could not see the imported polygon anywhere on the world map. I believe this is to do with X and Y coordinates being wrong, which i am not sure how to fix this.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
            Nag
            • 3. Re: Identifying SRID from .PRJ file
              Paul Dziemiela
              Hmmm,

So you think that the coordinate order in the shapefile was Y before X? I do not think that is possible.
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapefile
              Like Oracle, shapefiles can only store X and then Y. Such issues normally only occur when you have a format that can go either way, notably GML.
              I assume your feature class maps correctly when you view the original shapefile?

At this point I am not sure what to recommend. What exactly do mean when you say you overlayed the imported data on a world map. What are you using to view things? What did you use to import the shapefile into Oracle?

Cheers,
              Paul
              • 4. Re: Identifying SRID from .PRJ file
                Hi Paul,

I dint mean the interchange of X and Y values, but i meant they are wrong.

Overlaying means, i created a theme out of the imported table and created a base map along with a world map theme. I was expecting the imported table theme to be shown on top of the world map theme but i couldn't see it.

Do you have any suggestions? Let me know your email Id, i can directly share screenshots to better illustrate the problem.

Thanks
                Nag
                • 5. Re: Identifying SRID from .PRJ file
                  Paul Dziemiela
                  Hi Nag,

Well we've come this far so feel free to send me your screen shots at my first name at my last name dot com. With a name like mine I am pretty easy to find.

If we can determine something useful to others I would want to post the results to tie up this thread.

Cheers,

Paul
                  • 6. Re: Identifying SRID from .PRJ file
                    Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot for willing to help. I am suspecting the problem could be with the shape files being not geo referenced. I have asked the vendor to resend the .shp files after geo referencing. I will keep you and the forum posted with the updates.

Thanks again

Regards
                    Nag