This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2013 7:12 PM by User287063 RSS

After Upgrade to SLES11SP2, we're unable to print checks in PRODUCTION

User287063 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
DB - 11.2.0.3 - s390/System Z - SLES11SP2
APP - 12.1.3 - Linux x86_64 - SLES11SP2

This past weekend, we upgraded our PRODUCTION operating system from SLES10SP3 to SLES11SP2.

Ever since then, we've been having issues with our printing.

Check printing is all messed up........garbage is printing and it appears that Doc 761566.1 is not updated/current for SLES11SP2.

This O/S upgrade has been a total bummer.......

If anyone (including Hussein) has any ideas or has been down the SLES11SP2 upgrade path, I would love to hear from you.

Have also referenced notes

How To Print XML Publisher PDF Reports From The Concurrent Manager [ID 338990.1]

Where To Find Documentation On Third Party Preprocessing Tools Used With Pasta [ID 783918.1

Thsnks                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
  • 1. Re: After Upgrade to SLES11SP2, we're unable to print checks in PRODUCTION
    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Employee ACE
    Check printing is all messed up........garbage is printing and it appears that Doc 761566.1 is not updated/current for SLES11SP2.
    This OS is supported as per the doc " 11 - SP2 or higher (64-bit)1" however you need to do additional upgrades as mentioned in (After Installing or Upgrading) section in the same doc.
    If anyone (including Hussein) has any ideas or has been down the SLES11SP2 upgrade path, I would love to hear from you.

Have also referenced notes

How To Print XML Publisher PDF Reports From The Concurrent Manager [ID 338990.1]

Where To Find Documentation On Third Party Preprocessing Tools Used With Pasta [ID 783918.1]
    Did you relink all executable files after the OS upgrade?

How to relink an Applications Installation of Release 11i and Release 12 [ID 356878.1]
    How to Relink Oracle Database Software on UNIX [ID 131321.1]
    Process To Upgrade the Operating System and Oracle Database Server [ID 407055.1]

If yes, can please share more details about the issue you have (type of reports, apps/db characterset, PASTA setup ..etc)?

Please run the test as per (R12.0.6+ : Oracle Application Object Library Pasta Printing Health Check Test [ID 732270.1]) and see if it returns any error or warning messages.

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 2. Re: After Upgrade to SLES11SP2, we're unable to print checks in PRODUCTION
    User287063 Newbie
    >
    No I did not. I was not aware that I had to. No where in note 761566.1 does it talk about re-linking the executables. As each upgrade was complete, I just brought the instance up without doing anything else.
    If yes, can please share more details about the issue you have (type of reports, apps/db characterset, PASTA setup ..etc)?
    On an SR we have open for this, we were asked to add the following line "-Fpasta_pdf.cfg" to the argument line of the PASTA_PORTRAIT driver.

Why is it that people like me never have the advantage of working alongside people like Hussein....where we can learn something - instead of depending on those who are less than knowledgable :)?
  • 3. Re: After Upgrade to SLES11SP2, we're unable to print checks in PRODUCTION
    User287063 Newbie
    864641 wrote:
    No I did not. I was not aware that I had to. No where in note 761566.1 does it talk about re-linking the executables. As each upgrade was complete, I just brought the instance up without doing anything else.
    On an SR we have open for this, we were asked to add the following line "-Fpasta_pdf.cfg" to the argument line of the PASTA_PORTRAIT driver.
    This seems to have resolved our check printing issue.
  • 4. Re: After Upgrade to SLES11SP2, we're unable to print checks in PRODUCTION
    Yes, it is not mentioned in the installation doc, but as you see from the docs referenced in my previous reply relinking executables is required after the OS upgrade.
    If the database was not migrated (exported/imported) then you should have the same settings in the database after the OS upgrade -- 128mb Of Memory Is Required To Enable Direct Printing[Article ID 742579.1]
    Why is it that people like me never have the advantage of working alongside people lik Hussein....where we can learn something - instead of depending on those who are less than knowledgable :)?
    Thanks for your kind words :)

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 5. Re: After Upgrade to SLES11SP2, we're unable to print checks in PRODUCTION
    Is it the relinking or "-Fpasta_pdf.cfg"?

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 6. Re: After Upgrade to SLES11SP2, we're unable to print checks in PRODUCTION
    User287063 Newbie
    >
    If the database was not migrated (exported/imported) then you should have the same settings in the database after the OS upgrade -- 128mb Of Memory Is Required To Enable Direct Printing[Article ID 742579.1]
    The O/S upgrade reset the PASTA_PORTRAIT settings. Hopefully this evenings bounce will set it straight.
    Why is it that people like me never have the advantage of working alongside people lik Hussein....where we can learn something - instead of depending on those who are less than knowledgable :)?
    Thanks for your kind words :)
    Now that I have not re-linked the executables in PRODUCTION, and I know that we're still having issues with the re-linking of some of the reports executables in our DEV instance (cloned over after the O/S upgrade), what am I to expect when I attempt to overlay with the latest Forms/Reports patches per Note 437878.1

More errors?
  • 7. Re: After Upgrade to SLES11SP2, we're unable to print checks in PRODUCTION
    User287063 Newbie
    Hussein Sawwan wrote:
    addition of -Fpasta_pdf.cfg to the argument line of the PASTA_PORTRAIT driver.
  • 8. Re: After Upgrade to SLES11SP2, we're unable to print checks in PRODUCTION
    User287063 Newbie
    864641 wrote:
    Hussein Sawwan wrote:
    addition of -Fpasta_pdf.cfg to the argument line of the PASTA_PORTRAIT driver.
    I don't have the guts to reling in PROD and have users out today.

This can wait until the next major change.
  • 9. Re: After Upgrade to SLES11SP2, we're unable to print checks in PRODUCTION
    Now that I have not re-linked the executables in PRODUCTION, and I know that we're still having issues with the re-linking of some of the reports executables in our DEV instance (cloned over after the O/S upgrade), what am I to expect when I attempt to overlay with the latest Forms/Reports patches per Note 437878.1

More errors?
    Well, you can test this in your development instance and see what issues you might have then :)

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 10. Re: After Upgrade to SLES11SP2, we're unable to print checks in PRODUCTION
    User287063 Newbie
    Hussein Sawwan wrote:

More errors?
    Well, you can test this in your development instance and see what issues you might have then :)

Thanks,
    Hussein
    Yeah - doing in TEST/DEV is one thing - doing in PROD with no backup is an entirely different thing.
  • 11. Re: After Upgrade to SLES11SP2, we're unable to print checks in PRODUCTION
    Production should be backed up before any upgrade/patching.

We usually patch the development instances, then if all are good we move it to UAT and do all necessary testing (technical and functional) and once it's confirmed that there are no issues we send it to production.

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 12. Re: After Upgrade to SLES11SP2, we're unable to print checks in PRODUCTION
    User287063 Newbie
    Hussein Sawwan wrote:
    Production should be backed up before any upgrade/patching.
    I meant backup person to lean on for help/advice. PROD is always backed up - but rarely the APP tier since it's always a fight for space on the NFS mount.

>
    We usually patch the development instances, then if all are good we move it to UAT and do all necessary testing (technical and functional) and once it's confirmed that there are no issues we send it to production.

Thanks,
    Hussein
    That's a luxury - we have 7 instances - and they're all at different levels - never patched up to the level of PROD - unless a clone is requested........

No one wants to save off work and perform setups again - after a clone.....
  • 13. Re: After Upgrade to SLES11SP2, we're unable to print checks in PRODUCTION
    I meant backup person to lean on for help/advice. PROD is always backed up - but rarely the APP tier since it's always a fight for space on the NFS mount.
    Apart from Oracle support, we are available here ;)
    That's a luxury - we have 7 instances - and they're all at different levels - never patched up to the level of PROD - unless a clone is requested........
    At least UAT should be identical to production. We clone some of the instances before we need to patch them, and once the patching is tested we send it to UAT/PROD.
    No comment :)

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 14. Re: After Upgrade to SLES11SP2, we're unable to print checks in PRODUCTION
    User287063 Newbie
    Hussein Sawwan wrote:
    Apart from Oracle support, we are available here ;)
    No Kidding - I think in every single case this far in my 7+ years of doing this, I've found answers here quicker than in the SR's I've logged. That's not saying much for MOS
    At least UAT should be identical to production. We clone some of the instances before we need to patch them, and once the patching is tested we send it to UAT/PROD.
    I wish.......

No comment :)
    :)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points