1 Reply Latest reply: May 7, 2013 11:04 PM by rp0428 RSS

failure establishing connection to debugger

Hi all,

I'm using SQL developer 3.1.07 and I'm unable to use the debugger functionality. I've searched and found a number of other threads that relate to either VPN's or users putting the server address in the debugger host but I'm still unable to resolve the issue.

The difference here may be that I have virtualbox set up on my pc and have all the associated VM IP addresses set up.

Virtualbox is not running when I attempt this.

the message I'm getting is (IP address hashed out):
      Connecting to the database whitehat.
      Executing PL/SQL: ALTER SESSION SET PLSQL_DEBUG=TRUE
      Executing PL/SQL: CALL DBMS_DEBUG_JDWP.CONNECT_TCP( '###.29.34.96', '65078' )
      ORA-30683: failure establishing connection to debugger
      ORA-12535: TNS:operation timed out
      ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_DEBUG_JDWP", line 68
      ORA-06512: at line 1
      The above address is the one chosen by SQL developer initially and is also the one shown in my sys_context('userenv','ip_address').

The database server itself is not on my PC, but is readily accessible on the network.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed. any suggestions?

Edited by: WhiteHat on May 8, 2013 9:26 AM

fixed embarrassing spelling oversight in the subject line
        • 1. Re: failure establishing connection to debugger
          rp0428
          >
          The above address is the one chosen by SQL developer initially and is also the one shown in my sys_context('userenv','ip_address').
          >
          It might be a firewall issue; especially if you have been working with VM on that machine.

While you wait for one of the sql dev people to respond you may want to review this doc about 'Running and Debugging PL/SQL and Java Stored Procedures'.

This is from the Fusion Middleware doc for JDeveloper but sql developer is based on JDeveloper
          http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E16162_01/user.1112/e17455/dev_stored_proc.htm
          >
          29.3.2 How to Specify the Database Debugger Port
          When the database debugger is running, for example to debug PL/SQL through a database connection, the ports used are randomly assigned. This can cause problems with firewalls, and to avoid them you can edit the ide.properties file to ensure that a specific port is used.

To specify the port:

If necessary, close JDeveloper.

In a text editor, open jdev_install/jdeveloper/jdev/system/oracle.jdeveloper.release_number/ide.properties.

Type the following:

DatabaseDebuggerPortOverride=port_number
          where port_number is the port number you want the debugger to use.

Save ide.properties. When you restart JDeveloper, the port you specified will be used.
          >
          The entire section at the link provides more information about establishing a debugger connection if you haven't done that before on any machine.