This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2013 10:14 AM by OBYYS RSS

Accessing deployed app from another PC

OBYYS Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi
I use Oracle Fusion Middleware 11.1.2.3.0 and Weblogic 10.3

Is it possible to connect to my application from another computer using a web browser?
I already tried it a couple of times by connecting the My PC (server) and another computer over an ethernet cable, pinged the two computer and they all worked fine.. but when i tried to run the URL of my app on the web browser (Mozilla Firefox) of the other computer it wasnt successful and i couldnt call my application, except i run it from the computer i installed the Weblogic Server.
On my PC i already configured the Node manager which automatically starts the Admin and Managed server on system startup.... and my application which i already deployed, runs on the Managed server...

Please can someone advise me on what to do and possibly steps to follow to accomplish that..
Thanks

OBYYS.
  • 1. Re: Accessing deployed app from another PC
    Erik Janssen Pro
    Your description suggests that you have setup a sort of network between two servers with a crossed ethernet cable. In such a setup, things will work fine if each of the computers share the same network. Note however that you still need to resolve host names to IP numbers should you want to use the host name of your web server instead of the IP number.

First, does it work with the IP number of the web server?
    If that works, add the web server as an entry in your local host file. Once you have done that, you should be able to use the host name instead of IP number.

Thanks,
    EJ
  • 2. Re: Accessing deployed app from another PC
    OBYYS Newbie
    Hi EJ, thanks for the reply.....

It doesn't work with the ip number of the web server neither does it work with the host name. I changed the IP address in the Node Manager to 127.0.0.1 and in the Host file i entered the following: 127.0.0.1 OBYYS-PC but when i tried running the url from a browser in another computer using either of the two, none worked.

Note however that you still need to resolve host names to IP numbers should you want to use the host name of your web server instead of the IP number. Please can you give me a brief example of how to resolve host names to IP numbers and should it be done in each computer or just the web server?.... im not really a pro in that...

I await your reply,
    Thanks alot

OBYYS
  • 3. Re: Accessing deployed app from another PC
    Erik Janssen Pro
    127.0.0.1 won't work as this is your localhost address, it it not reachable from computers other than the local computer itself.

Telling you how to build a network is a bit out of scope for these forums as we discuss Oracle Application Server software here. I'll give you a brief example but if you need to learn more about networking, I'd recommend to get a good book about it.

You can build a simple network between two computers by computers by connecting them to each other through either a hub or a crosslinked network cable. Each computer needs to have its own IP number but they must share the same network in order to see each other. I'd recommend to use one of the private address ranges, e.g. 192.168.178.0 as your network address.

The configuration below would build you a network already :

computer1 :
    ========
    address 192.168.178.101
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.178.0
    broadcast 192.168.178.255
    gateway 192.168.178.1

Computer 2 :
    ========
    address 192.168.178.102
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.178.0
    gateway 192.168.178.1

hosts file :
    ======
    192.168.178.101 computer1
    192.168.178.102 computer2

Notice that most home use routers include a DHCP server to provide connected clients with the network configuration. Should you have such a setup, you only need to setup your client computer to use DHCP. The exception would be the server where you are running the Application Server software. You can configure a static address (unique - you must not have two IP numbers on the same network) for the server and then add this to the local host file on your client.

Hope this helps, otherwise get the book :-)

EJ
  • 4. Re: Accessing deployed app from another PC
    1008403 Newbie
    Since you are able to ping both the machine from each other, please check firewall in both the machine. And make it off. It should work for you.

Subrat
  • 5. Re: Accessing deployed app from another PC
    OBYYS Newbie
    Frankly speaking i dont know what is really wrong, i already turned off the Windows firewall setting of both computer, but still cant call my application from the other PC browser.....
    you gave me this example..

computer1 :
    +========+
    address 192.168.178.101
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.178.0
    gateway 192.168.178.1

i see these in the IPV4 properties in Network and Sharing Centre,

IP address:
    Subnet mask:
    Default gateway:
    Preferred DNS server:
    Alternate DNS server:

Please i'm a little bit confused.. on matching the two, which relates to which?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points