6 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2013 1:28 AM by user8058501 RSS

Is the Listener necessary when deploying Oracle APEX using Weblogic?

user8058501
      Purpose: accessing APEX application (url) using Weblogic.

questions:
      1) Does the Oracle APEX listener need to be used when deploying Oracle APEX using Weblogic?
      2) If yes, are there stop/start up scripts to automatically stop/start Oracle APEX Listener?

Thanks and Regards.
        • 1. Re: Is the Listener necessary when deploying Oracle APEX using Weblogic?
          Udo
          Hello,
          1) Does the Oracle APEX listener need to be used when deploying Oracle APEX using Weblogic?
          Yes. Weblogic is "just" a so called JEE Container. It doesn't have any built-in feature to connect to your APEX instance. APEX Listener is a web application for that purpose that can be deployed onto JEE Containers that fulfill the requirements for that application. Weblogic is one of the officially supported JEE Containers.
          2) If yes, are there stop/start up scripts to automatically stop/start Oracle APEX Listener?
          Usually all web applications are started automatically when your Weblogic starts. There are means to (re)start or stop web applications, in Weblogic also for command line interfaces, so you could create a start/stop script. But usually, there is no need to have that: Just configure and deploy your APEX Listener and let it run. See the [url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37099_01/doc/doc.20/e25066/install.htm#CHDIDHCD]Instsallation Guide for details.

-Udo
          • 2. Re-Is the Listener necessary when deploying Oracle APEX using Weblogic?
            user8058501
            Hi,

Thanks.
            One question more about it.
            The listener can be (for instance) unzipped and started - through a command and switches - on the prompt.
            After that, it simply runs. To stop it, we use Ctrl-C.

The Weblogic server can be started/stopped through scripts (mentioned in the installation guide).
            If the Weblogic is hosted on a another server, how can Weblogic start and stop the listener?

Kind Regards.
            • 3. Re: Re-Is the Listener necessary when deploying Oracle APEX using Weblogic?
              Udo
              The listener can be (for instance) unzipped and started - through a command and switches - on the prompt.
              After that, it simply runs. To stop it, we use Ctrl-C.
              That's the so called Standalone Mode, which is not recommend for production use. In that scenario, APEX Listener uses an Embedded JEE container that ships within the apex.war. You don't need that when you deploy APEX Listener to your Weblogic, i. e. there is no command line to start/stop APEX Listener directly, it would all be part of the command line interface of your Weblogic if you don't want or can't use the web interface to manage your web applications.

-Udo
              • 4. Re-Is the Listener necessary when deploying Oracle APEX using Weblogic?
                user8058501
                Ok, I understand that I do not need the standalone mode for deployment through Weblogic.
                I have followed the steps in the documentation to configure Weblogic for APEX Listener usage (Oracle® Application Express Listener Installation and Configuration Guide Release 2.0, Part Number E25066-05).

At that stage, APEX Listener was configured for standalone mode, but it is now stopped.
                Both the APEX Listener and Weblogic are on the same server (the database server runs on another server).

Through the Weblogic console, I see that my applications apex.war and i.war are with status=active, heath=OK, and type=Web Application.
                This seems OK.

But now, how can I access the APEX application through the url (thus using Weblogic as application server)?

Kind Regards.
                • 5. Re: Re-Is the Listener necessary when deploying Oracle APEX using Weblogic?
                  Udo
                  Through the Weblogic console, I see that my applications apex.war and i.war are with status=active, heath=OK, and >type=Web Application.
                  This seems OK.
                  Sounds okay.
                  But now, how can I access the APEX application through the url (thus using Weblogic as application server)?
                  If everything is configured correctly, you should be able to simply call http://<weblogic hostname>:<weblogic port>/apex to access your APEX instance.

-Udo
                  • 6. Re-Is the Listener necessary when deploying Oracle APEX using Weblogic?
                    user8058501
                    Thanks.
                    I have found the problem. Weblogic was not using the right version of apex.war file.

Kind Regards.