3 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2013 7:40 PM by VANJ RSS

Packaged applications - Locked or unlocked

VANJ
      APEX 4.2.2

Just curious...right after installing all the packaged applications, I noticed that some of them are Locked and others are Unlocked (i.e. we can inspect how the apps are built using the Builder). Does the choice of which ones are locked vs unlocked signify anything or is it just a random choice made by the Oracle person(s) who built the application?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Packaged applications - Locked or unlocked
          fac586
          VANJ wrote:
          APEX 4.2.2

Just curious...right after installing all the packaged applications, I noticed that some of them are Locked and others are Unlocked (i.e. we can inspect how the apps are built using the Builder). Does the choice of which ones are locked vs unlocked signify anything or is it just a random choice made by the Oracle person(s) who built the application?
          See the docs:
          >
          Oracle Application Express includes two types of packaged applications:

Sample applications
          Productivity applications
          Both sample and productivity applications are fully functional applications that have been designed to address a specific business need. You can install, run, and use packaged applications as is, or analyze them to better understand how to use Application Builder to build specific types of functionality.

The main difference between a sample and productivity application is the level of support. By default, sample applications are fully editable. In contrast, you must unlock productivity applications before you can edit them. Unlocking a productivity application makes it ineligible for future upgrades or support by Oracle Support.
          • 2. Re: Packaged applications - Locked or unlocked
            VANJ
            Ah, thanks, I missed that.

Being the curious sort, I was wondering how the installer tells them apart. apex_040200.wwv_flow_pkg_applications has app_status and unlock_allowed attributes but they don't appear to correspond to these two types of packaged applications.

Or maybe the distinction is hard-wired and out of sight in one of the wrapped packages.
            • 3. Re: Packaged applications - Locked or unlocked
              VANJ
              Also, if we are not allowed to change anything about how and where packaged applications are installed, why make us click dozens of times to install all the applications? Wouldn't it be much easier to make it a packaged_apps=yes/no question during the install/upgrade processs?!