2 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2013 9:04 PM by Hemant K Chitale RSS

how to switch the mrp process on standby  instance to another node

Hi,

Our stand by is 3 node cluster ( 11.2.0.3 db on red hat 6.3). We want to patch one node at a time.
      My mrp process is running on node 1.
      How can i start my mrp process on node 2 ?
      Will there be a downtime / delay ( for recover to happen) during which mrp process is switched from node 1 to node 2?

Thanks
      Naveen.
        • 1. Re: how to switch the mrp process on standby  instance to another node
          Mark willium
          See here for help: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B10500_01/server.920/a96653/rac_support.htm
          • 2. Re: how to switch the mrp process on standby  instance to another node
            Hemant K Chitale
            Recovery can be running at only one instance in a RAC DG environment. That instance must have access to all the archivelogs from the primary.

My guess is that you would need to
            1. Stop (CANCEL) recovery on node 1
            2. Shutdown the instance on node 1
            3. Startup the listener on node 2
            4. Startup mount the instance on node 2
            5. Check that the listener and password file on node 2 are configured and the tnsnames on the primary is configured for the net name for the instance on node 2
            6. set log_archive_dest_state_2 (or whichever you are using) on the primary to DEFER
            7. configure log_archive_dest_2 (or whichever you are using) on the primary to the net name for the instance on node 2
            8. set log_archive_dest_state_2 (or whichever you are using) on the primary to ENABLE

But I have never done so.

You should check with Oracle Support if they have a proper note on switching the MRP to another node in RAC DG.

Hemant K Chitale