This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2013 5:45 AM by 1004833 RSS

Cannot edit Java updater via control panel (x64 version)

1007992 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Windows 7 SP1 x64

Hi,

since no direct feedback to Oracle is possible (feedback form does not work), I'm using this forum for feedback. The feedback is meant for Oracle but I appreciate any input from the community.

Installing the x64 version of the Java JRE does not give you any access to the update settings via the control panel --> Java link. However the installer installs and activates the Java updater without any user acknowledgment. In case you don't want to have a background task running checking periodically for updates you have to manually edit the registry to get rid of this process.

This is poor programming and should be changed with the next update.
  • 1. Re: Cannot edit Java updater via control panel (x64 version)
    gimbal2 Guru
    Unfortunately Oracle does not look here, this is a user to user programming forum. And they decide for themselves what should or should not be fixed (as you may have noticed seeing how Java 7 is handled); if you want any kind of control over that you'll need to get a support contract.
  • 2. Re: Cannot edit Java updater via control panel (x64 version)
    1007992 Newbie
    gimbal2 wrote:
    if you want any kind of control over that you'll need to get a support contract.
    Yes, or I just stop using a software whose programmers are not the least bit interested in their customers experience.

I personally think it's a shame that such a well known company as Oracle dares to give its customer such a crappy piece of software.
  • 3. Re: Cannot edit Java updater via control panel (x64 version)
    RogerL (Oracle) Java Champion
    Hello 1004989,

The 64-bit JRE for Windows does not have auto update (AU). The 32-bit JRE has the AU feature. On java.com the bitness of the JRE that is provided for download is based on the bitness of the browser, determined programmatically. On 64-bit versions of XP, Vista, and Win7 the 32-bit browser is the system's default browser. The 64-bit browser must explicitly started by the user.

In the 32-bit version, the Java Control Panel does allow for the AU settings to be changed.
    http://www.java.com/en/download/help/java_update.xml#sched

There is notification that AU is a part of the JRE installation, during the install process, please see the last image on
    http://www.java.com/en/download/help/windows_offline_download.xml

Not installing security updates for any software on a system is something that should be carefully considered.

-Roger
  • 4. Re: Cannot edit Java updater via control panel (x64 version)
    1004833 Newbie
    RogerL (Oracle) wrote:
    Not installing security updates for any software on a system is something that should be carefully considered.

-Roger
    Yes but let the customer decide when and how updates get applied within their environments.

While it is practical for endusers to get updates automatically installed from the internet this is a no go in a large enterprise environment.

If you have ever seen thousands of users no longer able to do their work on the next moring because an updated was applied automatically without your notice you get a somewhat differentiated view on that.

In an enterprise environment updates most often get tested before rolled out, so give their admins an easy way to disable autoupdate and do the updates via their preferred software distribution systems.

Just my two cents.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points