1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2013 7:14 AM by Subramanian Meyyappan Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Forum On mobile?
        BluShadow
        Dude wrote:
        Your response was to the OP, but nevertheless it was public.

You are obviously not missing your chances to share your opinion and convince others that the point system is not important. That's how I am interpreting your personal remark, which could be considered unnecessary and was not asked by the OP as such.
        The op expressed concern over losing posts and points...
        from my past experience(more than 2 yrs) i lost my posts, points
        I was trying to reassure him that even if points were lost (and I did make it quite clear that it was my opinion that the points could be reset to 0 and it wouldn't matter) if experts are answering questions they will regain those points.

It was a simple fact and reassurance to the OP, and you appear to be blowing a simple question and response completely out of proportion and thus disrupting his thread. I'm starting to think you designed the points system yourself and you're taking it personally. :D
        With all due to respect, considering also that you are a forum moderator, perhaps you could please reconsider the use of words like "ranting" when someones tries to express an opinion or experience that you do not appreciate. I don't have much to loose, but certainly no intention to get into a personal dispute with you, which will just be to the amusement and entertainment of others. If it is fine with you, let's put this at rest or use a more private communication channel.
        I only used the word "ranting" as you seem to keep popping up on any thread that talks about points, vehemently defending it as though it's something precious. As for putting this to rest, that's fine with me, it was yourself who wanted to go on about it.
        • 16. Re: Forum On mobile?
          Dude!
          BluShadow wrote:
          Dude wrote:
          Your response was to the OP, but nevertheless it was public.

You are obviously not missing your chances to share your opinion and convince others that the point system is not important. That's how I am interpreting your personal remark, which could be considered unnecessary and was not asked by the OP as such.
          The op expressed concern over losing posts and points...
          I read that too and wondered about your response.
          > > from my past experience(more than 2 yrs) i lost my posts, points
          >
          I was trying to reassure him that even if points were lost (and I did make it quite clear that it was my opinion that the points could be reset to 0 and it wouldn't matter) if experts are answering questions they will regain those points.
          Sorry that's a piece of logic I cannot follow, assuming the points had whatever value for the person being afraid to loose them, hence asking. Imagine the points were like money, you are saying "I couldn't care less about money, and you should not worry about it either since it can be earned again".
          It was a simple fact and reassurance to the OP, and you appear to be blowing a simple question and response completely out of proportion and thus disrupting his thread. I'm starting to think you designed the points system yourself and you're taking it personally. :D
          Nicely and convincingly said, but again your opinion, which insinuates I'm the one to blame. I gave you an explanation for my response to you, which you seem to ignore or refuse to address.
          With all due to respect, considering also that you are a forum moderator, perhaps you could please reconsider the use of words like "ranting" when someones tries to express an opinion or experience that you do not appreciate. I don't have much to loose, but certainly no intention to get into a personal dispute with you, which will just be to the amusement and entertainment of others. If it is fine with you, let's put this at rest or use a more private communication channel.
          I only used the word "ranting" as you seem to keep popping up on any thread that talks about points, vehemently defending it as though it's something precious. As for putting this to rest, that's fine with me, it was yourself who wanted to go on about it.
          Maybe, but I'm following your model. It did however not start to belittle or educate those who see any value in the point system. I was replying to your and other people's response in doing so.
          • 17. Re: Forum On mobile?
            BluShadow
            No belittling on my part, just trying to help and be informative. I could have quite as easily said... "yes you may lose forum points during the upgrade, but that's tough luck, nothing you can do about it"... however, I prefer politeness.

How you can equate meaningless virtual forum point to something like money is beyond me. Losing forum points will not cause a person to lose their house and family and end up living on the streets, so that's a very bizarre comparison. Would you like my points? You can have them if you like, if you really feel they're that valuable?
            • 18. Re: Forum On mobile?
              Dude!
              This discussion turns into playing scrabble. I pass.
              • 19. Re: Forum On mobile?
                Subramanian Meyyappan
                hi,
                from myself am saying,
                each and every day i'll check it out my thread which is open. is there any updates? but today i checked that Suprised :) many of the post's are there
                not yet i read fully (i.e)just i gave look.

this is to blu and dude
                first fall i would like to thank you Both of them. whenever am being here you both of them suggesting me ah lot.i always encourage the healthy discussion., but sometimes it may lead to argument(am correct vs am only correct) in my office i seen this oftenly. anyhow, from the post i hope that dude,blu is not working oracle. if we lost points or posts we cant do anything. lost is lost just leave all those things. here we are ready to share the knowledge that is it.

i would like say this, "here we are brother and sisters(thing is: we are not bloody related one another) ,friends". share the feel and enjoy their sweet moments.

consider this scenario.
                am unknown to all(Except family,friends,colleagues). here am in name of user707, if my points make it 0points - 0posts then am a newbie
                A another new bie may think of like this. he is not having such stuff to suggest/provide me a answer(if am wrong). if my answer is right, he may think he having such stuff. just it's ah human nature no one can change that.

In cut short., i know that how capable? how worth am? in my office collegues may know that too.

i had a humble request., if anyone hijack my thread means related to me i always encouraged. ok. here also same but if forum moderator,forum admin see all those thing he may lead to lock the thread. but really dont like to lock my thread. simple i want to close my door with my own key. i wont allow another one do that ;)

hey dude, blu
                if am hurting means i'll way sorry sorry.

for your contributionon this post i 'll award points. now am going to read your post.

thanks.
                • 20. Re: Forum On mobile?
                  Subramanian Meyyappan
                  hey i read it fully.
                  here am not going judge(i h've not experience ;) ). i understand the blu point. in meantime i understand the dude point also.
                  i can offer only this +infinity bucks & points (to blu and dude).

am looking for sonya answer for my question as i earlier said.
                  thanks
                  • 21. Re: Forum On mobile?
                    BluShadow
                    user707 wrote:
                    hey i read it fully.
                    here am not going judge(i h've not experience ;) ). i understand the blu point. in meantime i understand the dude point also.
                    i can offer only this +infinity bucks & points (to blu and dude).

am looking for sonya answer for my question as i earlier said.
                    thanks
                    I'm not sure if Sonya will return to your question, I'm sure she's pretty busy trying to prepare for the upgrade.
                    As per my previous replies, from the information I know Sonya has given us, they are looking to potentially remove/archive old posts, so there's a potential that points could be lost as those posts are removed. As the criteria for removing such posts is likely to involve old posts that haven't been viewed in ages, then the people most likely to lose points are those who are older members, so more likely noticable amongst the experts and gurus who've got a long track record on here. From my knowledge of what's been discussed about the points system in the past years, most of those experts (And I say most, as I'm excluding dude here) won't actually care if their points go down, as that's not their intention for posting on the forums. Newer members are less likely to lose any points, unless they've made posts in forums that are now defunct and are going to be archived.
                    • 22. Re: Forum On mobile?
                      Subramanian Meyyappan
                      hey blu,
                      thanks for quick response, am going to wait for 2 days to close this thread. by any chance sonya may have time in this weekend.
                      if my thread is still remain same means i'll close it.

hey, i dont really have enough time to involve in this discussion. am running running towards the clock ;), around the clock ;)
                      thanks
                      • 23. Re: Forum On mobile?
                        Brianw-Oracle
                        The answer has already been given in this thread. There will be no change to your points or post count after the upgrade
                        • 24. Re: Forum On mobile?
                          Dude!
                          From my knowledge of what's been discussed about the points system in the past years, most of those experts (And I say most, as I'm excluding dude here) won't actually care if their points go down, as that's not their intention for posting on the forums.
                          Considering also previous discussions about this subject, your indirect remark that my intention or the intention of others for being here was the point system, shows me again that you do not understand what I was talking about, or do not accept or understand the purpose of the point system.

The point system is not necessarily an ego shooter, showing the success in providing valuable answers, but also encourages the poster of a question to provide feedback.

I don't think it is a good idea for you as a forum moderator to play experts against the point system and express your favor for a personal point of view or ideology despite of the forum etiquette, which encourages the use of the point system.
                          • 25. Re: Forum On mobile?
                            Subramanian Meyyappan
                            hi brain,
                            thanks for info. now it's time to close this thread.
                            • 26. Re: Forum On mobile?
                              BluShadow
                              Dude wrote:
                              From my knowledge of what's been discussed about the points system in the past years, most of those experts (And I say most, as I'm excluding dude here) won't actually care if their points go down, as that's not their intention for posting on the forums.
                              Considering also previous discussions about this subject, your indirect remark that my intention or the intention of others for being here was the point system, shows me again that you do not understand what I was talking about, or do not accept or understand the purpose of the point system.

The point system is not necessarily an ego shooter, showing the success in providing valuable answers, but also encourages the poster of a question to provide feedback.
                              Correct, the point system is not necessarily an ego shooter, I never said that it was categorically that. Yet there is evidence of some members who do treat it in that way. Yes, in an ideal world, people would just use the point system for what it's intended, in which case everything would be fine, but there's no denying there are people who try and abuse it, and such people do disrupt threads or mess things up with rubbish answers etc. I've seen enough quick-shot, rubbish answers ending with "Mark my post as correct" at the end of it, to know there are those types of people in our midsts.
                              I don't think it is a good idea for you as a forum moderator to play experts against the point system and express your favor for a personal point of view or ideology despite of the forum etiquette, which encourages the use of the point system.
                              Not sure what you mean about playing experts against the point system. It's nothing to do with me as a moderator... I'm not posting as a moderator, I'm posting as a member, and as such I'm entitled to a personal point of view. My responsibilities as a moderator are to remove spam, support new members by helping them to post questions correctly etc. and to remove (or highlight to admin) people's "begging for points" (admin have said this practice is unacceptable), and highlight problem people to admin for them to deal with. That doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about the abilities of the forum, or choose to express those. I'm also a member and moderator on a 'discussion forum' elsewhere and it was laughable when one member got very abusive about me posting in a discussion, telling me... no actually dictating to me... that I shouldn't be taking part in discussions as I was a moderator; some people seem to think that moderators should just be in the background and not taking part... but hey... we're real people too! :D I'm all for encouraging people to use the points system, if it can be used correctly, but unfortunately, it has it's flaws which gets abused, and that's why it's not the most ideal system. There have certainly been better systems about such as up/down voting (and even that can be abused). Nothing is ideal, but please don't tell me that I shouldn't express my personal point of view, as that is just wrong.
                              • 27. Re: Forum On mobile?
                                Subramanian Meyyappan
                                hi blu and dude,
                                please please leave it. i beg you. :(
                                • 28. Re: Forum On mobile?
                                  jgarry
                                  Take it as a compliment that you've asked a question that stimulates interesting discussion!
                                  • 29. Re: Forum On mobile?
                                    Subramanian Meyyappan
                                    Take it as a compliment that you've asked a question that stimulates interesting discussion!
                                    sometimes it may. but most of times it not,. it may leads to misunderstand..
                                    1 2 Previous Next