1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2013 8:59 AM by BluShadow Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Upgrade now scheduled for June 2013
        Hemant K Chitale
        I see the very same underlying issue I often see in first hand - the application layer somehow being considered the core and the application layer determining performance, scalability and flexibility even in the data layer.
        Hmm. That reminds me of the performance issues we had when forums.oracle.com was upgraded a few years ago. I am sure that it was the application layer that underwent an upgrade, not the backend "datastore" ;>

Hemant K Chitale
        • 16. Re: Upgrade now scheduled for June 2013
          ranit B
          I'm actually scared entering into the discussion... among the biggies. But I've a small suggestion (currently only for Oracle SQL and PL/SQL).

Why not create a '*Mandatory*' drop-down with all possible versions listed there like 9.0.0.0, 9.1.0.0, upto say 11.2.2.2
          If they miss it, prompt saying 'Mandatory field - Use select * from v$version'

Similarly can make usage of
           tags also mandatory?

I believe we can't make people realize the importance of best-practices only by redirecting them to FAQs and articles but at least, can _force_ them to follow the best-practices. May be after posting 10 'proper' posts they'll automatically follow the best-practices.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
          • 17. Re: Upgrade now scheduled for June 2013
            EdStevens
            ranit B wrote:
            I'm actually scared entering into the discussion... among the biggies. But I've a small suggestion (currently only for Oracle SQL and PL/SQL).

Why not create a '*Mandatory*' drop-down with all possible versions listed there like 9.0.0.0, 9.1.0.0, upto say 11.2.2.2
            If they miss it, prompt saying 'Mandatory field - Use select * from v$version'

Similarly can make usage of
             tags also mandatory?

I believe we can't make people realize the importance of best-practices only by redirecting them to FAQs and articles but at least, can _force_ them to follow the best-practices. May be after posting 10 'proper' posts they'll automatically follow the best-practices.
            Please see my first post in [url https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=2530972&tstart=0]this thread
            • 18. Re: Upgrade now scheduled for June 2013
              BluShadow
              ranit B wrote:

Because the oracle products are more than just the oracle database version... there are SQL Developer versions, Oracle Forms version, oracle Reports version, EBS, BI.... etc. etc.
              As you say, it would have to be just for those forums it's relevant for, and hence why I mentioned (was it here or on another thread?) that it may be good if a template could be set up for each forum, so it could be customized with the basic requirements for each.

Maybe in the future... if it's something Sonya and the team can get around to looking at.
              • 19. Re: Upgrade now scheduled for June 2013
                Dude!
                Are these posts still in line with the thread subject?

I think templates are not going to steal anyone's job, so why not using tools to a reasonable extend that can actually help to make life easier?

I too appreciate the free style nature of this forum. So how about to make the use of a template optional. For instance, to be able to optionally attach a template to a question. Fields in that template could be mandatory. If someone posts a message that simply lacks information, rather than having to pull each necessary information from the OP, which can be tiresome, it was simply a matter of informing the OP to please fill out and attach a template. I would actually even find it very useful to be able to keep some basic environment info away from my actual post.

To my experience, there is a substantial number of posters who seem to ask questions without a sufficient technical background or simply not understanding the overall picture. It think this is often causing unnecessary tensions between frequent posters having to continuously ask for information and pull the "ignorance tooth". It can be annoying wanting to help and share some wisdom, but not being able to do so efficiently, simply because of lack of basic information.
                • 20. Re: Upgrade now scheduled for June 2013
                  Paulie
                  >
                  Why not create a '*Mandatory*' drop-down with all possible versions listed there
                  like 9.0.0.0, 9.1.0.0, upto say 11.2.2.2
                  Orafaq (the second best Oracle self-help - or social collaboration if you will) site out there has this feature.

Its backend is free and open source. There are any number of such products available. Also, doesn't
                  Oracle have one of its own?

Furthermore, I've always thought that such a project would be a good opportunity
                  for Oracle to showcase Application Express (Apex). Doesn't/Didn't Metalink run on
                  Apex?

I just think it's a poor showing that a company claiming to be the world's number one
                  business software firm;

a) uses such a poor product (try searching!!!) and

b) can't offer something that is readily available as Open Source and adopt/adapt such
                  software for the needs of the OTN user community.

Just a thought.

Paul...
                  • 21. Re: Upgrade now scheduled for June 2013
                    Barbara Boehmer
                    Paulie wrote:
                    >
                    Why not create a '*Mandatory*' drop-down with all possible versions listed there
                    like 9.0.0.0, 9.1.0.0, upto say 11.2.2.2
                    Orafaq (the second best Oracle self-help - or social collaboration if you will) site out there has this feature.
                    Actually, no. It is not mandatory and there are no values to choose from. It is just a box under the title box labeled, "Product, version, OS:". It does not force people to list such things, but makes it more likely that they will and gives a convenient place to enter it and display it, directly underneath the title. -- OraFAQ forum moderator
                    • 22. Re: Upgrade now scheduled for June 2013
                      jgarry
                      You can't view what you can't find. I can't find all of my old posts.
                      • 23. Re: Upgrade now scheduled for June 2013
                        jgarry
                        Purging is backwards. Everything should be kept, but there should be a subset or downstream DSS for active.
                        • 24. Re: Upgrade now scheduled for June 2013
                          bigdelboy
                          What will the state of censorship be on the new forums ... will sex and discounts be allowed?

Edited by: bigdelboy on May 9, 2013 3:54 PM
                          • 25. Re: Upgrade now scheduled for June 2013
                            BluShadow
                            bigdelboy wrote:
                            What will the state of censorship be on the new forums ... will sex and discounts be allowed?
                            I think your in the wrong place if you're looking for discounted sex. ;)
                            1 2 Previous Next