4 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2013 9:21 PM by Hemant K Chitale RSS

Physical standby database backup

Hi,

I have Oracle database on Oracle 10g R2 with physical as well as logical standby database.

1) Is is necessary to take Physical standby database backup?
      2) If 1) yes then Which RMAN backup is preferred?with catalog or default?How to take backup as different location?
      3)how to Restore that backup?How to ensure backup is valid?

Thanks,
      Shital Patel
        • 1. Re: Physical standby database backup
          L-MachineGun
          Shital Patel wrote:
          1) Is is necessary to take Physical standby database backup?
          Not if you have backup of primary .... BUT you can take the main backup from standby and release the load from your primary.
          2) If 1) yes then Which RMAN backup is preferred?with catalog or default?How to take backup as different location?
          Better use catalog.
          2) ......How to take backup as different location?
          What do you mean? Just configure "format" on the disk "channels".
          3)how to Restore that backup?How to ensure backup is valid?
          Restore as normal procedure detailed in the fine:
          Oracle® Database Backup and Recovery User's Guide

:p
          • 2. Re: Physical standby database backup
            Thanks for Prompt response...!!

Like I have primary database Oracle 10g R2 for which I am taking backup using catalog on TMS storage.

Using dataguard have implemented DR which is physical standby database of primary db.

Now i want to take backup of physical standby database(DR) on another server using RMAN catalog.

I am totally confused with all this...Kindly provide me steps for physical database backup using RMAN catalog with it's pros and cons...!! :)

Thanks,

Shital
            ;)
            • 3. Re: Physical standby database backup
              L-MachineGun
              Shital Patel wrote:
              Now i want to take backup of physical standby database(DR) on another server using RMAN catalog.
              I am totally confused with all this...Kindly provide me steps for physical database backup using RMAN catalog with it's pros and cons...!! :)
              Just do the backup same as you are doing it in production, some rman configuration parameters that are set on the primary db will be inherited by the standby backup.
              Once your standby backup is executing ok, you can stop the backup in production.
              The rman catalog provides a better management of your backups.
              No-catalog limits the backup information to reside only in the controlfile and restricted to the retention period of the controlfile data (CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME).
              • 4. Re: Physical standby database backup
                Hemant K Chitale
                I wouldn't jump to stop taking backups at the primary (yes, yes, I know that the docs and "experts" talk of backups on the standby to offload the job from the primary)

I would need to know the context and the environment.

I might be using production backups to clone to development environments at the primary site. Then, I do need to continue production backups.

Management might want the ability to restore production back at the primary site --- what if the database is so large and the standby site is so far away (network latency) that a restore from the standby site to the primary site would take 24 hours ?
                Why would the ability to restore backups to the primary be desirable ? The standby might be a much smaller server and a decision to switch to standby would be taken only in the case of data centre / building failure at the primary. If a restore from backup at the primary is faster than managing a switchover to a standby site with the performance risks on running a smaller server, I would favour a restore at the primary.

Hemant K Chitale