5 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2013 4:20 PM by sxkumar RSS

Agent Deployment failing due to MS-DOS style path

maddox
      I am running Enterprise Manager 12c on a Windows 2008 R2 64 bit environment. When using the option to add a target manually, I get an error cygwin warning: MS-DOS style path detected. After receiving the error I have tried to use the suggested POSIX equivalent which produced an error. Using a Unix style path as stated in the user's guide returns an error that I should only use alphanumeric characters, _, ., or /. My path follows these rules but I still get the error. (ex /path_oem12/agent_inst).

My cygwin install uses the nodosfilewarning. It is in the registry (hklm\system\CurrentControlSet\services\sshd\Parameters\Environment and set as a system variable). I also set the variable on the target machine which is running Windows 2008 R2 64 bit.

During my test I was able to use cygwin to ssh to my database server without problem.

When the process starts it creates the base directory on the target machine. Then the install fails with the above error.

Can anyone suggest a way around this problem? Is there something I am missing with the nodosfilewarning message?

Edited by: maddox on May 9, 2013 10:46 AM
        • 1. Re: Agent Deployment failing due to MS-DOS style path
          Akanksha Sheoran Kaler-Oracle
          Hi maddox

Can you pls clarify following:

a) are you trying to install em 12c agent on a windows box? If yes then did you follow the cygwin setup steps from here http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/install.121/e22624/preinstall_req_cygwin_ssh.htm#CBHCDFCH
          Let me know on which step you get this error , this wiill help me to identify the steps causing this

b) you also mentioned install failed, can you share the exact error?
          c) What is the agent deploymnet method you are using ? Add host wizrd ( agent push ) or manual agent deployment
          d) Can you open an SR for this so that you can share logs with us or email me the install logs and error screeshot

OMS_INSTANCE_HOME>/sysman/agentpush/*.*

-Akanksha
          • 2. Re: Agent Deployment failing due to MS-DOS style path
            maddox
            a) All the servers are Windows 2008 R2 64 bit. I followed the set of instructions in the Cygwin setup. The setup did not produce an error. The error was in OEM at the time of the agent deployment.

b) no error code just the message: cygwin warning: MS-DOS style path detected

c) adding target manually from OEM

d) I did open an SR and sent them logs. Can't share logs on the forum due to company rules. Can provide a screenshot but it shows the same message as above plus server path information.
            • 3. Re: Agent Deployment failing due to MS-DOS style path
              Akanksha Sheoran Kaler-Oracle
              Thanks maddox for updating me. Can you share the Sr number with me, i will look at it. This is a know issue and have a mos note 1489302.1 on this that you can refer.

Going by your last update : this warning that you see while doing agent deployment is created by Cygwin and it will be like this:
              Error Message:cygwin warning:
              MS-DOS style path detected: c:/agent
              Preferred POSIX equivalent is: /cygdrive/c/agent
              CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this warning.
              Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
              http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames

the warning suggests, setting the CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this warning.

Per Cygwin documentation

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ov-new1.7.html
              On the usage of a DOS path (C:\foo, \foo\bar), the Cygwin DLL emits a warning that DOS paths shouldn't be used.
              • 4. Re: Agent Deployment failing due to MS-DOS style path
                maddox
                Oracle support stopped responding on the SR so I rebuilt the OEM server completely. Finally got past the error that way.
                • 5. Re: Agent Deployment failing due to MS-DOS style path
                  sxkumar
                  Can you share the SR number so that we can look at the details?