This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2013 9:53 AM by jgarry Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
    sonyabarry Guru Moderator
    Currently Being Moderated
    Hi Sanjay,

Points were tweaked a while back to keep them in line with the points system in the MOS forums because we will be merging OTN and MOS together at some point in the next year, so we wanted the status levels and names to be consistent across the board.
  • 16. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
    EdStevens Guru
    sonyabarry wrote:
    Hi Sanjay,

Points were tweaked a while back to keep them in line with the points system in the MOS forums because we will be merging OTN and MOS together at some point in the next year,
    ?!?!?!

so we wanted the status levels and names to be consistent across the board.
  • 17. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
    Timo Hahn Oracle ACE
    Sonya,
    very interesting. However I don't know how that should work as most of have two handles, one for the otn and one for support.
    Is there a way to use the otn handle to login into support forums without a support contract?

Timo
  • 18. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    sonyabarry wrote:
    Hi Sanjay,

Points were tweaked a while back to keep them in line with the points system in the MOS forums because we will be merging OTN and MOS together at some point in the next year, so we wanted the status levels and names to be consistent across the board.
    Sonya,

That's probably would be an issue for me (and I believe many like me) who has two separate accounts for both OTN and MOS. So are you saying we need to start the process to merge the emails together or some other way around is coming up?

Aman....
  • 19. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
    jgarry Guru
    I suppose this is the time to say I post here a lot and on MOS communities hardly at all partly because I don't like that user interface. And partly because the interaction is better here.

Not every database and application in the world needs to be consolidated.
  • 20. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
    Marwim Expert
    for me (and I believe many like me) who has two separate accounts for both OTN and MOS
    Most likely two accounts, because I assume that the MOS account will be bound to an employer for most members and therefore be valid only for a limited time.
    I at least have a private account for OTN and job account, connected to my employer, that I use for MOS. And I would not want them to be connected.

Regards
    Marcus
  • 21. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE
    Let me add my voice to those who say that the maintain separate accounts for MOS and OTN. I may change jobs and have to switch to a new MOS account. I keep my OTN account unchanged.

Hemant K Chitale
  • 22. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
    riedelme Expert
    Hemant K Chitale wrote:
    Let me add my voice to those who say that the maintain separate accounts for MOS and OTN. I may change jobs and have to switch to a new MOS account. I keep my OTN account unchanged.

Hemant K Chitale
    Excellent point
  • 23. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
    EdStevens Guru
    Hemant K Chitale wrote:

Hemant K Chitale
    I concur. Ever since MetaLink (MOS) started using email addresses as the userid, I have taken the position that since my access to ML was on my employer's nickle, and when changing employers my ML access would necessarily change (new CSI's for a new employer) I'd use my current employer's email. But access to OTN is my access, so use my own email and keep it across changes of employers. It does make for some difficulty with single-sign on when I want to have an OTN forum open in one tab and MOS in another, but I just deal with it.
  • 24. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
    Sc0tt Expert
    Hemant K Chitale wrote:

Hemant K Chitale
    This. I've had several different Metalink accounts over the years, but this OTN has been the one constant.
  • 25. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
    riedelme Expert
    EdStevens wrote:
    Hemant K Chitale wrote:

Hemant K Chitale
    I concur. Ever since MetaLink (MOS) started using email addresses as the userid, I have taken the position that since my access to ML was on my employer's nickle, and when changing employers my ML access would necessarily change (new CSI's for a new employer) I'd use my current employer's email. But access to OTN is my access, so use my own email and keep it across changes of employers. It does make for some difficulty with single-sign on when I want to have an OTN forum open in one tab and MOS in another, but I just deal with it.
    So there are several of us who prefer to keep or Oracle identities seperate. The Merge is probably going to happen based on history. Anybody remember the great MOS (might have been Metalink) Flash thread from years ago?
  • 26. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
    EdStevens Guru
    riedelme wrote:
    EdStevens wrote:
    Hemant K Chitale wrote:

Hemant K Chitale
    So there are several of us who prefer to keep or Oracle identities seperate. The Merge is probably going to happen based on history. Anybody remember the great MOS (might have been Metalink) Flash thread from years ago?
    I don't remember the specific thread, but I do remember quickly discovering (and book marking) the non-Flash-enabled MOS/ML and eventually Oracle's admitting that Flash wasn't such a great idea after all.
  • 27. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
    jgarry Guru
    riedelme wrote:
    EdStevens wrote:
    Hemant K Chitale wrote:

Hemant K Chitale
    They've kinda fixed the SSO issue by requiring a second login when you go there after being here (or at least allowing it by stopping you and asking for the password again). That seems to me to be the correct way to go. Perhaps it could be improved by a user setting asking how to handle it.

SSO is kind of a misnomer when you have mutually exclusive usage, unless you explicitly recognize that a single person may have such mutually exclusive usage and just let them have multiple accounts. I hope we are misunderstanding this merge thing. I'm not optimistic, after seeing the lousy way Google and friends have tried to suck people into their walls. At least they have the excuse of advertising dollar eyeballs. I don't see the advantage for Oracle to do the same thing.
  • 28. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
    sonyabarry Guru Moderator
    OK, sorry for disappearing on you (been a busy week), and my choice of words could have been better.

Long term plan is to move MOS from their existing platform onto the one we are migrating to - this fall at the absolute earliest. The two communities will still be separate, and MOS will continue to be entirely private. That said, the alignment in points/rewards is so that we can tie the two separate accounts together and give people who do post in both places credit for doing that.

I have no idea what will happen with the individual accounts - we'll be working that out in the next few months as we start working on their migration plan. I will definitely bring your comments here to the table when we start working on this.

Sonya
  • 29. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    sonyabarry wrote:
    OK, sorry for disappearing on you (been a busy week), and my choice of words could have been better.

Long term plan is to move MOS from their existing platform onto the one we are migrating to - this fall at the absolute earliest. The two communities will still be separate, and MOS will continue to be entirely private. That said, the alignment in points/rewards is so that we can tie the two separate accounts together and give people who do post in both places credit for doing that.
    Sonya, as you said that the two communities would be separated so can we assume that the MOS email linked with the CSI would stay as a separate one compared to the one used here , on OTN forums? Points is a completely different matter and I am sure that many won't be really concerned about the points being credited at one place by answering at another but the separation of the accounts is something which is an important matter to look into.

Aman....

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points