12 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2013 10:23 AM by Loc Nhan RSS

EM 12c monitoring DataGuard Primary and Standby Environments

SherrieK Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Oracle RDBMS 11.1.0.7
EM Agent 12.1.0.2
EM Cloud Control 12 Release 2
Dataguard environment: 2 node primary, 2 node standby

We are using EM to monitor our databases, but perform a switchover, or role reversal, through dgmgrl.

The EM console doesn't reflect the change in role reversal.

To monitor a standby, SYSDBA must be granted to dbsnmp and the orapwd file handled accordingly. After a role reversal, when the standby becomes the new primary, the configuration of the database in EM still uses DBSNMP as SYSDBA. I have found that this manually needs to be changed to DBSNMP as Normal, and then we are good.

Very weird. To me, SYSDBA is the big guy and we should be able to monitor a primary and standby with this, no problem either way.

Perhaps there is something else that needs to be granted to DBSNMP to monitor a primary as SYSDBA?

Any insights into this?
  • 1. Re: EM 12c monitoring DataGuard Primary and Standby Environments
    Loc Nhan Expert
    Hi,

Database monitoring credentials will swap with role switching (primary to standby and vice versa) if you use EM to switch roles.

Regards,
    - Loc
  • 2. Re: EM 12c monitoring DataGuard Primary and Standby Environments
    SherrieK Newbie
    Thank Loc.
    We suspected as much, but have had great trouble using em12c for Dataguard implementation and management, so we abandoned the idea. We tried to work through a few tickets with support, ultimately giving up because every aspect was too painful.

I'm sorry to say this because we were big on OEM 10.2. After upgrading to EM12C, we've found its use and management is almost a career unto itself. I've always relied on OEM to help me do my DBA job .. EM12C makes it harder. It's a shame.

Sherrie
  • 3. Re: EM 12c monitoring DataGuard Primary and Standby Environments
    Loc Nhan Expert
    Sherrie,

If you can please tell us why you think "EM12C makes it harder", perhaps we can suggest some solution.

Regards,
    - Loc
  • 4. Re: EM 12c monitoring DataGuard Primary and Standby Environments
    Loc Nhan Expert
    Sherrie,

Please share some EM12 related SRs that were not resolved to your satisfaction. We would like to understand reasons for your dissatisfaction and hope to bring you a more positive experience of the product.

Regards,
    - Loc
  • 5. Re: EM 12c monitoring DataGuard Primary and Standby Environments
    SherrieK Newbie
    Loc,
    Thank you for asking, I appreciate it. I've been snowed under, but will put together a list and post soon.
    Sherrie
  • 6. Re: EM 12c monitoring DataGuard Primary and Standby Environments
    SherrieK Newbie
    Loc,
    I've opened quite a few SRs, some handled well, some not. My biggest issue perhaps is that SRs are needed at all. We are a small shop that relied on OEM 10.2 for a long time, skipped over 11G and went right to 12R2. It was a culture shock, and I'm not sure if skipping the version added to our woes.
    There are 3 DBAs here, with Oracle experience between 13 and 18 years, we are not newbies. I took the em12c class from Oracle.
    But still, acceptance of its use has not been high, mostly because it's no longer the quick, targeted place we 'go to'. It's a huge product now, with much built-in. We are finding we need a mind adjustment to use it and the transition period related to how much time we can spend on that. Our intent, though, was to make things easier, not harder.

Case in point is our implementation of DataGuard. This project was new to us and I made EM12C upgrade as a predecessor project because I needed its help. I ultimately abandoned it, we hired a consultant, we learned manual steps, and that's what we use today. Everything is homegrown.

I feel as through the purpose for EM moved from a DBA monitoring tool. Remember OEM 10.2 and its initial summary page that showed the overall health of everything on one shot? I can't do that in em12c, or at least haven't found that.

Here are some SRs:
    SR 3-6392247151
    Sr 3-7159111371
    SR 3-6645421051
    * SR 3-6608820051
    SR 3-6667182071

* Covers "invalid objects" missing, something we previously relied on.

Back to the original question of this post - I understand now that if we use EM to switch our databases, the role reversal will show. We would have loved to rely on EM for everything. Now that we must do everything manually, I have to then manually drop the target being monitored and re-add it. Again, something that should make our jobs easier is now harder.

Thanks for listening. Am I really the only DBA that says EM12C is harder to use for basic functionality?

Sherrie
  • 7. Re: EM 12c monitoring DataGuard Primary and Standby Environments
    sxkumar Explorer
    Thanks for your feedback. We will like to follow up with you and understand your issue better. EM 12c does have a new UI and this change was made based on the overwheling customer demand. But as with any change, some new leraning is required.

But we would still like to follow up and understand your issues.

For the overview page, have you tried looking at Enterprise --> Summary page. This page is more or less like what 10g overview page.
  • 8. Re: EM 12c monitoring DataGuard Primary and Standby Environments
    Loc Nhan Expert
    Hi Sherrie,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and providing the SR numbers. We are reviewing the SRs and will get back to you directly. As Sushil (sxkumar) pointed out, it takes some time to be familiar with the new UI.

Regards,
    - Loc
  • 9. Re: EM 12c monitoring DataGuard Primary and Standby Environments
    SherrieK Newbie
    Thank you Sushil and Loc, I appreciate any help that I can get. I don't want to be a complainer and truly want to use this product to its fullest.
    Yes, I am using the Enterprise Summary screen, thanks for reminding me of that.
    One of my frustrations stems from the DataGuard switchovers. Since we didn't switch from EM, the database roles were totally confused and I eventually had to drop and re-add targets. When you do that, everything from Target Properties, Jobs, .... goes away and has to be redone.
    This weekend we have a major DR test, but our switches will be done manually because that's our tried and true method. I'm hoping my properties will stick because we are dong a snapshot standby instead of a switchover.

Two things that we miss are (1) invalid objects - an SR was opened on this one and (2) database size. OEM 10.2 has a space summary on the database instance home page.

Sherrie
  • 10. Re: EM 12c monitoring DataGuard Primary and Standby Environments
    Loc Nhan Expert
    Sherrie,

>
    Two things that we miss are (1) invalid objects - an SR was opened on this one and (2) database size. OEM 10.2 has a space summary on the database instance home page.
    >

(1) The fix for bug 16058872 (12C COMPILE ALL INVALID OBJECTS MISSING) will be part of EM 12.1.0.3, which will be available around July this year.

(2) In EM 12c, the homepage of a database target has the Data Storage (GB) chart in the Resources section.

- Loc
  • 11. Re: EM 12c monitoring DataGuard Primary and Standby Environments
    SherrieK Newbie
    Thank you for the INVALID OBJECTS.

I knew the Data Storage chart was on the Home page, I was looking for figures, but I can get that from the Storage --> Tablespaces page.

Thanks for the reply, have you any thoughts on the SRs?
  • 12. Re: EM 12c monitoring DataGuard Primary and Standby Environments
    Loc Nhan Expert
    Sherrie,

A Support manager will contact you on the SRs.

Thanks,
    - Loc

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points