5 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2013 8:24 AM by Bas de Klerk RSS

Using AL16UTF16 NCHAR in XE

user10607235
      Hello,

I have to instal Express DB using AL16UTF16 NCHAR for Linux x64
      Tis option is available with "Western European" character set when using Oracle XE 10g
      This option seems no to be available in 11g
      The only XE version available on OTN is Oracle XE11
      Do you know:
      - how to configure AL16UTF16 NCHAR in Oracle XE 11g ?
      - or where dowload : Western European character set: oracle-xe-10.2.0.1-1.0.i386.rpm

thanks for your help

Serge

Edited by: user10607235 on 10-May-2013 00:34
        • 1. Re: Using AL16UTF16 NCHAR in XE
          Paul M.
          - how to configure AL16UTF16 NCHAR in Oracle XE 11g ?
          Not sure what's your problem... the following is from a standard 11g XE installation :
          SQL> select * from v$version;

BANNER
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Oracle Database 11g Express Edition Release 11.2.0.2.0 - 64bit Production
          PL/SQL Release 11.2.0.2.0 - Production
          CORE    11.2.0.2.0      Production
          TNS for Linux: Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production
          NLSRTL Version 11.2.0.2.0 - Production

SQL> select * from nls_database_parameters
            2  where parameter='NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET';

PARAMETER
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          VALUE
          NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET
          AL16UTF16

SQL>
          • 2. Re: Using AL16UTF16 NCHAR in XE
            "Gunther Vermeir, Oracle-Oracle"
            Oracle 10g is desupported and is not available anymore as download

Oracle Database 11g Express Edition has no provisions to change/use other charactersets than AL32UTF8 as NLS_CHARACTERSET and AL16UTF16 as NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET
            The NLS_CHARACTERSET is used for CHAR, VARCHAR2, LONG and CLOB columns;
            The NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET is used for NCHAR, NVARCHAR2 and NCLOB columns.

If you want to use an Oracle 11g database with an other characterset than AL32UTF8 as NLS_CHARACTERSET you need to use Oracle standard or enterprise edition
            • 3. Re: Using AL16UTF16 NCHAR in XE
              user10607235
              hello,

thanks for your answer
              on the following Oracle link:
              http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/downloads/index.html
              it's written:
              ++Previous Database Release Software++
              ++Oracle Database 10.2 and 11.1 are no longer available for download. The software is available as a media or FTP request for those customers who own a valid Oracle Database product license for any edition. To request access to these releases, follow the instructions in Oracle Support Document 1071023.1 (Requesting Physical Shipment or Download URL for Software Media) from My Oracle Support. NOTE: for Oracle Database 10.2, you should request 10.2.0.1 even if you want to install a later patch set. Once you install 10.2.0.1 you can then apply any 10.2 patch set. Similarly, for 11.1 request 11.1.0.6 which must be applied before installing 11.1.0.7. Patch sets can be downloaded from the Patches and Updates tab on My Oracle Support++

So, I have oppend a case on My Oracle Support, and the answer is the same
              in a fist way (this link) Oracle said : "Oracle Database 10.2 and 11.1 are no longer available for download. The software is available as a media or FTP request for those customers who own a valid Oracle Database product license for any edition"
              and in a second way (hwhen oppening a cas), Oracle said the inverse

What is the Oracle position ?

"to be (available) or not to be (available)"
              WS + I
              • 4. Re: Using AL16UTF16 NCHAR in XE
                user10607235
                Hello PaulM

You are right, when I look into my db, the parameter is the same than you:
                SQL> select * from nls_database_parameters where parameter='NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET';

PARAMETER VALUE
                ------------------------------ ----------------------------------------
                NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET AL16UTF16

But, when I try to import data , I receive the following messages:

Connected to: Oracle Database 11g Express Edition Release 11.2.0.2.0 - 64bit Production

Export file created by EXPORT:V11.02.00 via conventional path

Warning: the objects were exported by SYSTEM, not by you

import done in WE8ISO8859P15 character set and AL16UTF16 NCHAR character set
                import server uses AL32UTF8 character set (possible charset conversion)
                . . importing table "ABSELEM" 0 rows imported
                . . importing table "ABSGLOB"
                IMP-00019: row rejected due to ORACLE error 12899
                IMP-00003: ORACLE error 12899 encountered
                ORA-12899: value too large for column "HRVADM"."ABSGLOB"."ABSCOMM00" (actual: 33, maximum: 32)

so, how can I import data ?

thanks for you help

note: a French Champagne bottle for the good answer
                • 5. Re: Using AL16UTF16 NCHAR in XE
                  Bas de Klerk
                  Hi,

First set the NLS_LANG env variable to the correct value.
                  assuming you start your import from a unix command line :
                  export NLS_LANG='AMERICAN_AMERICA.AL32UTF8'

I prefer blanc de noir ;-)

Regards
                  Bas

p.s. It all depends on what you want to accomplish. You might still get character set conversion if your export was done using a different character set database and/or client, this is meant to work like that.
                  If you still encounter problems please let us know what your source/target environments are and what clients youuse ( windows/unix etc etc ).

Edited by: Bas de Klerk on 10-mei-2013 6:43