This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2013 6:24 PM by 850765 RSS

Identify forms in Oracle forms Builder

994691 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi every one,

I am very very new to Oracle forms and Oracle Builder, how can we find the complexity of a form and also a report, I have the access to the Oracle forms builder and Oracle report builder, Can any one help me how to move further and, how to identify. It would be really great thing, If any one helps me As soon as possible.

waiting for your suggestions.

Thanks,
raki
  • 1. Re: Identify forms in Oracle forms Builder
    InoL Guru
    how can we find the complexity of a form and also a report
    What do you mean by that? Complexity is a personal opinion. Maybe you think it is complex, and your colleague think it is simple.
  • 2. Re: Identify forms in Oracle forms Builder
    994691 Newbie
    Thanks for response,

The forms and reports are already build, I just wanted to open the forms and check for no of procedures, and number of triggers each forms and each report have, and I need to rebuild all the forms and reports using Oracle application express(APEX), So they want me to give the estimation of how many procedures, how many triggers, how many functions each have , and how to open them in oracle form builder or oracle report builder.

I just need to give then this form has low complexity , middle or high complexity.

Thanks,
    raki
  • 3. Re: Identify forms in Oracle forms Builder
    InoL Guru
    I don't think that this is a very good way of specifying complexity. Forms has many triggers that do not have an equivalent in Apex. What is an pre-query trigger for instance?
    If you want to specify complexity this way, just open a form in Forms Builder and expand all the nodes. Hopefully, the real complexity (business rules) is already in database procedures that you can re-use in Apex.

Maybe a more realistic way to see the complexity is to make a CRUD (create-retrieve-update-delete) matrix and the number of items per form. Sort of a function point analysis.
  • 4. Re: Identify forms in Oracle forms Builder
    994691 Newbie
    Yeah can you just give me a start up on this, just for one form and report on how to continue, then I will use the same method for the remaining forms and reports, If you don't mind, Can I know how to start up with.

Thanks a lot.

Thanks,
    raki
  • 5. Re: Identify forms in Oracle forms Builder
    InoL Guru
    Is see you double posted this thread, and the other one is also a bit vague.

It is not such a straightforward task to specify complexity. You have to have a good working knowledge of the system. I can give you example about one of our forms. It looks really simple: type in some identifier, and it will show you all open invoices of a customer, Press a button for full or partly payment of the invoices and receipts will be printed.
    This involves many things in the background, like checking the financial system. It looks simple (one when-button-pressed trigger), but is very complex indeed.

If you want to migrate from Forms to Apex, you should properly plan it. If you have no experience at all in your company for such a project, you might want to contact a specialized company.
  • 6. Re: Identify forms in Oracle forms Builder
    994691 Newbie
    Thanks a lot,

So by looking at the forms and reports , can't we tell how complex are they.
    if we can determine those, then can you please let me know what are all the considerations that we need to check .

It can be a brief steps( like first open any .fmb file, then go to triggers, the click here, check it, and then choose this , and then see it associated report and then do this bla bla bla .....), can you just give me one example how to move with this, at least I could try to do some thing with this.

Your suggestions are valuable for me .

Thanks,
    Raki
  • 7. Re: Identify forms in Oracle forms Builder
    850765 Newbie
    Contact the the company PITSS - They can provide you with a free complexity report including an time estimate on how long it would take to convert from Forms to APEX.
    They also have a tool to migrate from Forms to APEX

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points