This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: May 11, 2013 8:37 AM by Dinusha RSS

RMAN policy configuration on Active Data Guard on Oracle 11.2.0.3

Dinusha Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dear DBAs,

I have following requirement regarding RMAN configuration on Active Data Guard on Oracle 11.2.0.3 on AIX 7.1.

1.     We are taking daily backups on Primary database: Full database plus archive logs.
2.     Also every four (4) hour baking up archive logs.

But these are the conditions; we need to delete only the backed up archive logs from the archive log destination provided that they are applied on the standby database.

We have configured FRA but not use as archive destination on the primary database. Please let me know the RMAN configuration for “ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY” and is it possible to use “backup archivelog all delete input;” with the above policy configuration?

Also once the archive log has been applied on standby, we need to delete those applied archives on standby archive destination too.

Please let me know, should I run separate RMAN job on standby server? And what should be the RMAN policy configuration on standby?

Thanks,
Dinusha.
  • 1. Re: RMAN policy configuration on Active Data Guard on Oracle 11.2.0.3
    TSharma-Oracle Guru
    These following metalink note might be of some help:
    Note 728053.1 Configure RMAN to purge archivelogs after applied on standby
    Note 394261.1 How to Ensure that RMAN Does NOT Delete Archived Logs That Have Not Yet Shipped to Standby
  • 2. Re: RMAN policy configuration on Active Data Guard on Oracle 11.2.0.3
    Dinusha Newbie
    Dear TSharma,

Thanks for the prompt support, I have gone through these documents. What I feel is basically these instructions are for 10g and workaround for “bug 6216036

By setting,
    alter system set "_log_deletion_policy"=ALL scope=spfile sid='*'; can get rid of “RMAN-08591: WARNING: invalid archivelog deletion policy” error but our database is 11.2.0.3 and since we are not using FRA for archive destination, I don’t think this will work (correct me if am wrong)

My production DB (Where I take daily backup of production) I have set below RMAN configuration,
    CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO APPLIED ON ALL STANDBY;

On standby server:
    CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO NONE;

I want to make sure by setting the above configuration and running RMAN script, “backup archivelog all delete input;” would back up all the archivelog but delete only the applied archivelog on the standby database. (Again we are not using FRA as a destination of archivelogs on either databases)
    Welcome your thoughts

Regards,
    Dinusha
  • 3. Re: RMAN policy configuration on Active Data Guard on Oracle 11.2.0.3
    okKarol Newbie
    Hi,

I've face exactly the same Problematic, and followed same configuration process as yours

On Prod
    CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO APPLIED ON ALL STANDBY;

On standby server:
    CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO NONE;

My Conclusions were :

The deletion Policy " .... TO APPLIED ON ALL STANDBY; " what it does is "during the backup of the archivelogs on your Prod D it does not delete archove logs that are not yet applied in the Stanby "

There's no way to delete the Archivelogs on the Secondary Site unless Sheduling a Job in the Cron or in OEM with a RMAN script :

DELETE NOPROMPT ARCHIVELOG ALL completed before 'SYSDATE-2/24';

I hope it helps.

Rgds
    Carlos
  • 4. Re: RMAN policy configuration on Active Data Guard on Oracle 11.2.0.3
    Dinusha Newbie
    Thanks Carlos your points are helpful.

Please let me know are you using FRA for archive destination on Prod DB. At the moment I’m using log_archive_dest_1 = /dborafiles/fusion/oraarch on Prod DB. I have FRA configured but not use as archivelog destination.

Please let me know, “backup archivelog all delete input;” work with the above configuration? My understand is it will only delete archivelogs if they are under FRA (Already on standby). Correct me if I’m wrong.

At the moment we are using “delete noprompt archivelog until sequence=<Max Seq>” where the “Max Seq” return from “select max(sequence#) from v$archived_log where applied = 'YES' and REGISTRAR='RFS';” this supposed to run evey night as a cron job to purge applied archive on standby DB. But what I’m worrying is if there any archivelog, sequence < max(sequence#) in-between available without applying for some reason (since it is until sequence = MAX(sequence#)) that once also will get deleted from the above command.

Same method we are using on production database after backing up all archivelogs.

Appreciate if you have better idea/solution than this.

Regards,
    Dinusha

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points