This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2013 4:22 AM by DB RSS

to create Report DB using the existing oracle binaries

DB Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

We are planned to do Purging last 3 year data in our database which is small in size(30GB).
Before that to create the Report_database using the cold backup for safety pre-cautions.
We actually decide to use the same oracle binaries which used for production to up the database to check and close.

For same Oracle binaries,
1.Datafile path must be Cold backup path.
2.Change on PFILE.
3.Change the DBNAME and instance name as xxxxold
4.oracle/admin/xxxold/adump,bdump,cdump,udump

5.And my doubt is,if we open the report DB using production binaries..now it points the old .dbf folder(/oracle/oradata/xxxx) or new .dbf(/oracle/oradata/xxxxold)

if i want to point the new .dbf ,what i need to do.on which step we mention to point the new oradata(/oracle/oradata/xxxxold) folder.Please explain.

Thanks in Advance

Regards,
DB
  • 1. Re: to create Report DB using the existing oracle binaries
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    Pl post details of exact OS and database versions. I am assuming you want to make a clone of the existing database. If so pl see

How to Manually Backup - Restore or Clone a Database to Another Node [ID 562556.1]
    Clone a Database With RMAN Without Connecting To Target Database [ID 732624.1]
    Clone/Refresh Non-prod database from production [ID 1338233.1]

HTH
    Srini
  • 2. Re: to create Report DB using the existing oracle binaries
    EdStevens Guru
    DB wrote:
    Hi All,

We are planned to do Purging last 3 year data in our database which is small in size(30GB).
    Before that to create the Report_database using the cold backup for safety pre-cautions.
    We actually decide to use the same oracle binaries which used for production to up the database to check and close.

For same Oracle binaries,
    1.Datafile path must be Cold backup path.
    2.Change on PFILE.
    3.Change the DBNAME and instance name as xxxxold
    4.oracle/admin/xxxold/adump,bdump,cdump,udump

5.And my doubt is,if we open the report DB using production binaries..now it points the old .dbf folder(/oracle/oradata/xxxx) or new .dbf(/oracle/oradata/xxxxold)

if i want to point the new .dbf ,what i need to do.on which step we mention to point the new oradata(/oracle/oradata/xxxxold) folder.Please explain.

Thanks in Advance

Regards,
    DB
    It is no problem to have multiple databases running with the same oracle binaries (ORACLE_HOME). The procedure to replicate a database is more complex internally than you think. The best, easiest way to replicate is to use rman. Details in the [url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10642/rcmdupdb.htm#i1008564]Backup and Recovery User's Guide

But just to reduce the size of a db that is only 30gb to start with? I loose more space than that in rounding errors. You can put that entire database on a thumb drive. What business problem do you think this operation will solve?
  • 3. Re: to create Report DB using the existing oracle binaries
    DB Newbie
    Thank you

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points