This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: May 26, 2013 7:50 AM by Chris_0703 RSS

Oracle XE on ARM

NicoMartens Journeyer
Currently Being Moderated
Hellow,

So I was wondering. Why is Oracle not supporting ARM. Almost all mobile devices use an ARM processor. How cool would it be to have for example an APEX instance running on a samsung gallaxy or a raspberry pi...

I just don't understand why the Oracle XE (their demo of a great product) is not supported on those devices... Using only a tablet to promote a database would just come in very handy.

Or are there plans to release an ARM version. I have tried emulating x86 and sparc on a raspberry pi. Believe me the results are terrible. Emulation is not a solution. Oracle should compile their sources against an ARM processor.

How cool would that be.

Regards

Nico
  • 1. Re: Oracle XE on ARM
    Chris_0703 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    I wouldn't count on it right now.

http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/oracle-arm_server_processor-sparc-intel_processor-moonshot,1-413.html

In some way, I agree. Unless you're running it on a multi-processor ARM box, the results are going to be slow. If they do support ARM, I don't think it's going to be because of Raspberry Pis (cue the Beowulf cluster jokes).

That said, MySQL and PostgreSQL have various builds floating around that'll run on it.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points