4 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2013 8:55 AM by Scott_Symonds RSS

Installing WebLogic on Windows 7 64-bit

robmcangus
      I am new to weblogic and am trying to install it on my local machine but am having major issues. I found a document that stated I should have a "jar" folder in my MW_HOME but there is no such folder. I found a note where it says to perform the command:

java -jar wljarbuilder.jar

but I do not have the wljarbuilder.jar file - instead I have wljarbuilder.jar.pack.

Can anyone provide assistance? Or is there a weblogic for dummies that I can get?

Thanks in advance,
      Rob
        • 1. Re: Installing WebLogic on Windows 7 64-bit
          Scott_Symonds
          Hi Rob,

What version of Oracle WebLogic Server (WLS) are you installing?

As I'm not sure what version you are using, I'll use WLS 10.3.6 as an example. Depending on the WebLogic Server download you downloaded, the file name that was downloaded should be "wls1036_generic.jar" (12c would be wls1211_generic.jar, etc.). Of course, if you are installing a different version of WLS such as 12c, the numbers will be different (everything else is the same). To start the installer, you can run the following command in Command Prompt (as an administrator): java -D64 -jar wls1036_generic.jar

IMPORTANT: You will need to have a JDK installed and deployed in your PATH environment variable; otherwise, the above command will not work. If you do not have a Java JDK installed (or downloaded), you can download the most recent JDK at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html. Make sure you download the version of the JDK that is certified with your version of WebLogic Server:
          WLS 11g (10.3.x): http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/downloads/fmw-11gr1certmatrix.xls
          WLS 12c (12.1.1.x): http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/ias/downloads/wls-1211x-certmatrix-1395408.xls

If you do not have the jar file (or one similar) I mentioned above, you can download it with your OTN license at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/ias/downloads/wls-main-097127.html (or in Edelivery if you have purchased the software). It is the one in the section for Oracle WebLogic Server and Oracle Coherence that is for "Generic". Hope this helps!

Thanks,
          Scott (PITSS)
          • 2. Re: Installing WebLogic on Windows 7 64-bit
            robmcangus
            Thank you very much for the info. I will try that right now and will update the thread.

Rob
            • 3. Re: Installing WebLogic on Windows 7 64-bit
              robmcangus
              Hi Scott -

My machine is a Windows 7 64-bit so the file I downloaded was wls1211_dev.zip. Is that not the correct file? When I extract it I have 4 directories:

modules
              patch_wls1211
              utils
              wlserver

There is also a configure.cmd file but when I run it, nothing happens. Is that expected? Should I install an Oracle VM to do this on a linux platform instead?

Thanks,
              Rob
              • 4. Re: Installing WebLogic on Windows 7 64-bit
                Scott_Symonds
                Hi Rob,

Thank you for letting me know what version you are trying to install. Anyway, an Oracle VM is not required to run WebLogic. I usually don't download the zip file version of WebLogic whether it is 12.1.1 or 10.3.x. In the WebLogic download page, I would recommend downloading the Generic (997 MB) download under the category "Installers with Oracle WebLogic Server and Oracle Coherence" in the WebLogic download page URL I provided in the previous post. TIP: If you move your mouse cursor over "Generic", it will show "wls1211_generic.jar". This is the installer you need for Windows 64-bit.

Another tip: to start the installer using the jar file I specified above, open up Command Prompt as an administrator and run the following command to start the WebLogic installer:
                java -D64 -jar wls1211_generic.jar

NOTE: As I mentioned in the previous post, make sure you have a supported JDK in your PATH environment variable. Otherwise, the above command will not work. Hope this helps!

Thanks,
                Scott (PITSS)