This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2013 8:13 PM by 1008459 RSS

Newbie 2 Develop repeatable performance test best practices/tool Oracle10g?

1008459 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello

I have good SQL and fair PL/SQL experience, Now I have a NEW TASK to Develop repeatable performance test tools/practices for 10g?

Any help to quickly learn ? So that I can help my team to follow the practices?

Is there a VMware type ready set up environment to start practicing online by loading some data ? I did like watching some videos now wanna try them. Instead of installing everything I thought ready setup would be nice...
  • 1. Re: Newbie 2 Develop repeatable performance test best practices/tool Oracle10g?
    sb92075 Guru
    1005456 wrote:
    Hello

I have good SQL and fair PL/SQL experience, Now I have a NEW TASK to Develop repeatable performance test tools/practices for 10g?

Any help to quickly learn ? So that I can help my team to follow the practices?

Is there a VMware type ready set up environment to start practicing online by loading some data ? I did like watching some videos now wanna try them. Instead of installing everything I thought ready setup would be nice...
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/developer-vm/index.html
  • 2. Re: Newbie 2 Develop repeatable performance test best practices/tool Oracle10g?
    Tubby Guru
    1005456 wrote:
    Hello

What's Oracle 10g? Please be very specific when posting.

If you are on Oracle 10.2.x.x and you are properly licensed you could potentially use database replay.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14211/wcr.htm#CJGJFGJE

Cheers,
  • 3. Re: Newbie 2 Develop repeatable performance test best practices/tool Oracle10g?
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    What sort of load testing you want to do and why you want to develop a tool by yourself? Did you have a look at Swingbench ?

Aman....
  • 4. Re: Newbie 2 Develop repeatable performance test best practices/tool Oracle10g?
    1008459 Newbie
    Thank you.

Recent Virtual Box 4.2.12 has Oracle 11g whereas my client has 10g so which version of Virtual Box I should download for 10g only and what is Virtual Box extension pack?

Which one i.e. Virtual Box or Virtual Box extension I should I download for Performance related practices ?
  • 5. Re: Newbie 2 Develop repeatable performance test best practices/tool Oracle10g?
    1008459 Newbie
    Hi

I mean Oracle 10.6 and thanks for the link which talks about REPLAY function. I guess I am trying to set up my own environment in my laptop and wanna test the following functions:

ADDM (Automated Database Diagnostics Monitor) introduced in Oracle 10g
    TKProf
    Statspack
    tuningpack

what is the best way?

What are the best performance tuning practices/tools for ORACLE DB and PL/SQL application ?
  • 6. Re: Newbie 2 Develop repeatable performance test best practices/tool Oracle10g?
    1008459 Newbie
    Thank you Aman, Swingbench seems to be interesting at firstlook, I will check it out. Please see my fresh posts in my thread and help me out. I am not trying to invent my own tool need best tools for performance tunings ORACLE DB 10.6 ?
  • 7. Re: Newbie 2 Develop repeatable performance test best practices/tool Oracle10g?
    jgarry Guru
    But you do seem to be inventing your own version of Oracle.
  • 8. Re: Newbie 2 Develop repeatable performance test best practices/tool Oracle10g?
    1008459 Newbie
    lol.. Thanks jgary for confirming there is no 10.6 because there is TOAD for 10.6 link when you google for 10.6 version, I was confused myself.
  • 9. Re: Newbie 2 Develop repeatable performance test best practices/tool Oracle10g?
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    1005456 wrote:
    Thank you Aman, Swingbench seems to be interesting at firstlook, I will check it out. Please see my fresh posts in my thread and help me out. I am not trying to invent my own tool need best tools for performance tunings ORACLE DB 10.6 ?
    Is this what you are referring to,
    TKProf
    Statspack
    tuningpack

You must understand, to test performance, you would need the workload. With Swingbench, Load Runner, you would be getting lots of transactions that you can take as a load or stress test. But if you want to create workload for TKPROF, you would need badly performing queries , for pl/sql you would need application that is using it and is reporting slowness. AFAIK there is no such test load that you can download to test these things. That's the reason that for such things, you have to be in a live environment where daily you get such kind of issues and you can use the mentioned tools to tune them.

I would suggest that you rethink what you want to do.

Aman....

PS: There is no tool called Tuning Pack
    PSS: There is no database release called 10.6.
  • 10. Re: Newbie 2 Develop repeatable performance test best practices/tool Oracle10g?
    marksmithusa Journeyer
    1005456 wrote:
    Hi

I mean Oracle 10.6 and thanks for the link which talks about REPLAY function. I guess I am trying to set up my own environment in my laptop and wanna test the following functions:

TKProf
    Statspack
    tuningpack

what is the best way?

What are the best performance tuning practices/tools for ORACLE DB and PL/SQL application ?
    Find out yourself. Test them and see.

As for practices, I would advise asking your DBA. You could look at a hundred links, but 50% of them will be wrong (as they'll be from Burleson Consulting) and you won't know which are good practices and which aren't.

There is a contradiction when you state 'Newbie 2 Develop repeatable performance test best practices/tool Oracle 10g?': how, exactly, is a 'Newbie' expected to create a performance test using BEST PRACTICES?
  • 11. Re: Newbie 2 Develop repeatable performance test best practices/tool Oracle10g?
    1008459 Newbie
    Thank you Aman.

For Oracle 10g DB & APPLICATION performance testing, are they any BEST repeatable Practices that you are aware of i.e. any article, video, book, your own approach ?
  • 12. Re: Newbie 2 Develop repeatable performance test best practices/tool Oracle10g?
    1008459 Newbie
    Sir, Thanks for your help.

Please read my posting again. I am newbie to PERFORMANCE Testing and looking for BEST Practices, as you said there are so many articles, perhaps! you could point me to few of them and with the help of this FORUM, you and I will discover the BEST practice :)
  • 13. Re: Newbie 2 Develop repeatable performance test best practices/tool Oracle10g?
    Aman.... Oracle ACE
    Ranker wrote:
    Thank you Aman.

For Oracle 10g DB & APPLICATION performance testing, are they any BEST repeatable Practices that you are aware of i.e. any article, video, book, your own approach ?
    All what I would tell you is actually covered in the below guide already so have a read of it,
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14211/toc.htm

Aman....
  • 14. Re: Newbie 2 Develop repeatable performance test best practices/tool Oracle10g?
    marksmithusa Journeyer
    Ranker wrote:
    Sir, Thanks for your help.

Please read my posting again. I am newbie to PERFORMANCE Testing and looking for BEST Practices, as you said there are so many articles, perhaps! you could point me to few of them and with the help of this FORUM, you and I will discover the BEST practice :)
    The 'BEST practice' for what?

Are you asking about best practices in performance tuning?
    Are you asking how you develop (or the tools you use) a performance test?

For me, performance tuning is all about what you’re hoping to improve – usually there is a specific problem that you can target. Depending on the problem, you will use different tools. ‘BEST PRACTICES for performance tuning’ is too vague.

Here’s a reasonable analogy of what happens when a DBA is told of a performance problem:

User: ‘The database is slow’
    DBA: ‘OK. What is slow, exactly?’
    User: ‘The database’
    DBA: ‘Yes, but which part is slow? What are you trying to do?’
    User: ‘It’s taking me too long to run my reports?’
    DBA: ‘OK. How many reports are running long?’
    User: ‘3’
    DBA: ‘Is there anything else that’s slow? Have you tried other queries, etc?’
    User: ‘Everything else is fine’
    DBA: ‘Can your colleague run the reports any faster than you can?’
    User: ‘No, the database is slow for them too’
    DBA: ‘What do the reports have in common?’
    User: ‘They both hit tables x and y’

So the DBA would then look at the various dynamic performance views and check whether tables x and y (and their indexes) have stale stats, determine whether or not the data volume that the reports is using has increased, see whether there’s contention in the database and compare explain plans with previous runs which were demonstratively better.

That’s just one example of ‘performance tuning’. There are so many others – a DBA could, literally, be asked to solve a problem with the database, the data, the application logic, the operating system, the network, etc.

That’s why I said it’s very unrealistic to expect a ‘Newbie’ to be able to either know all the best practices or to develop a performance test tool. The knowledge of best practices basically comes from experience.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points