This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2013 6:55 AM by abillconsl RSS

Which JVM for high performance environment?

abillconsl Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
In a production environment, would you suggest JRockit or JDK for WebLogic? Is there a "better"?

~Bill
  • 1. Re: Which JVM for high performance environment?
    gimbal2 Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    I think it would be more interesting to know what Oracle recommends. If I have to believe the inclusion of the JRockit forum under the Application Server category, they seem to place JRockit as part of their Weblogic stack.

    But either should work just fine. I can't believe they wouldn't extensively test Weblogic against the hotspot runtimes (which is what you meant to write when you wrote JDK).
  • 2. Re: Which JVM for high performance environment?
    abillconsl Explorer
    Currently Being Moderated
    I'd like to say that, "yes, I meant hotspot.", but that'd be wrong. I never used JRockit and other than a VERY quick glimpse at it, don't know anything about it. Yes I've heard about it for a while, but that's it. So I don't know whether it replaces the entire JDK or just the JVM or even just the compiler.

    But for the most part, even with my question needing your clarification, thank you, you've answered what I "should" have intended to write. The only reason that I did not mark this as having been answered is because, thought having a high regard for your answers in general, I'd still like to get more of a concensus. Thank you,

    ~Bill
  • 3. Re: Which JVM for high performance environment?
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Expert
    Currently Being Moderated
    gimbal2 wrote:
    I think it would be more interesting to know what Oracle recommends. If I have to believe the inclusion of the JRockit forum under the Application Server category, they seem to place JRockit as part of their Weblogic stack.
    Given that Oracle charges for JRockit I would be rather certain about which one they recommend for everything.
  • 4. Re: Which JVM for high performance environment?
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Expert
    Currently Being Moderated
    abillconsl wrote:
    In a production environment, would you suggest JRockit or JDK for WebLogic? Is there a "better"?
    Presumably you are asking this only after you have profiled your applicaiton using an environment that simulates the actual production target with suitable traffic/data.
  • 5. Re: Which JVM for high performance environment?
    abillconsl Explorer
    Currently Being Moderated
    Actually, it is a hypothetical question as far as I'm concerned, framed mostly out of curiosity. Someone on a job-related listserve asked this question as they (and we soon) prepare for a totally new product technology. The product we buy/(rent?) is called Banner, and it is now based on Oracle forms run from an Applet. It is being re-written piecemeal into Groovy/Grails with Java/Groovy Servlets (Gervlets?) and GSP with JQuery, etc, etc. This new environment (which I have nothing to do with setting up, is the topic of many posts on this listserve I am referring to ... anything from DBA asking about table changes, to Systems guys asking about hardware and, well, like the question I posted.

    So although I will likely have nothing to do with making any decisions about any of it, being the only Java Applications programmer here, I am quite curious about all of it ... hence the question.

    Probably way more material than you care to hear, but I thought you deserved to know a bit about why I asked.

    ~Bill
  • 6. Re: Which JVM for high performance environment?
    gimbal2 Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    jschell wrote:
    gimbal2 wrote:
    I think it would be more interesting to know what Oracle recommends. If I have to believe the inclusion of the JRockit forum under the Application Server category, they seem to place JRockit as part of their Weblogic stack.
    Given that Oracle charges for JRockit I would be rather certain about which one they recommend for everything.
    Not anymore right? Since the Sun take over it should be free. At least that's what wikipedia and several sources google found for me tell me :)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JRockit

    General reply:

    Of course this question has been asked before. This is an interesting thread on stackoverflow:

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10361311/diffrence-between-jrockit-in-bea-weblogic-and-sun-java-implementation

    I remember reading that features from JRockit would be merged into the 'regular' runtime (and that's also in the wikipedia entry). I think the heap space deal mentioned in the above thread at least is already implemented, the server VM at least since Java 6 update 18 tunes the max heap space based on the system environment in stead of having a stupidly low default.

    Doing a search for weblogic tuning guides also makes zero mention of JRockit anywhere. In fact this article right here:

    http://fasterbytes.blogspot.nl/2012/05/oracle-weblogic-server-12c-performance.html

    points in the opposite direction due to Hotspot being more up to date :)

    Finally: is there a Java 7 version of JRockit at all? It doesn't appear so.
  • 7. Re: Which JVM for high performance environment?
    abillconsl Explorer
    Currently Being Moderated
    gimbal2 wrote:

    Finally: is there a Java 7 version of JRockit at all? It doesn't appear so.
    You're kidding me ... that can't be right!? ... can it? ... and thanks for the research.
  • 8. Re: Which JVM for high performance environment?
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Expert
    Currently Being Moderated
    gimbal2 wrote:
    jschell wrote:
    gimbal2 wrote:
    I think it would be more interesting to know what Oracle recommends. If I have to believe the inclusion of the JRockit forum under the Application Server category, they seem to place JRockit as part of their Weblogic stack.
    Given that Oracle charges for JRockit I would be rather certain about which one they recommend for everything.
    Not anymore right? Since the Sun take over it should be free. At least that's what wikipedia and several sources google found for me tell me :)
    Sun has/had nothing to do with JRockit.

    Interesting. Last I read there was going to be a product but only a partial update of the regular VM.
    Finally: is there a Java 7 version of JRockit at all? It doesn't appear so.
    Looks like not.

    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E15289_01/doc.40/e15058/aboutjrockit.htm#i1076854

    So I would guess that Oracle would recommend the regular one then.
  • 9. Re: Which JVM for high performance environment?
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Expert
    Currently Being Moderated
    abillconsl wrote:
    ...hence the question.
    Per the docs JRockit doesn't support Java 7 and is not free.

    So I would guess that it is an orphaned product and thus need not be considered.
  • 10. Re: Which JVM for high performance environment?
    gimbal2 Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/jrockit_is_now_free_and

    Indeed its easy to misread it. It IS free... unless you use it commercially which means its not free at all. Much like most products which are only semi-free such as MySQL.
  • 11. Re: Which JVM for high performance environment?
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Expert
    Currently Being Moderated
    gimbal2 wrote:
    https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/jrockit_is_now_free_and

    Indeed its easy to misread it. It IS free... unless you use it commercially which means its not free at all. Much like most products which are only semi-free such as MySQL.
    I don't read it that way.

    The current license is here.

    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/jrockit/downloads/index.html

    It can be used commercially except for the "Commercial Features". Those are in the table 1-1 in the following.

    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/terms/products/index.html

    Those are mostly production runtime management features except for one type of GC which I suspect wouldn't normally be that useful.
  • 12. Re: Which JVM for high performance environment?
    abillconsl Explorer
    Currently Being Moderated
    jschell wrote:
    gimbal2 wrote:
    Finally: is there a Java 7 version of JRockit at all? It doesn't appear so.
    Looks like not.

    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E15289_01/doc.40/e15058/aboutjrockit.htm#i1076854

    So I would guess that Oracle would recommend the regular one then.
    Okay, thanks.

Legend

  • Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points