This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2013 11:36 PM by Sahar Hassan RSS

Display Newsfeed from UCM to Webcenter portal

Sahar Hassan Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I am new to UCM and Webcenter portal technologies. I have a requirement for displaying newsfeed content which will be stored in UCM and to be displayed in a webcenter portal.
Please guide me on how can I achieve this. What all technologies I should use.

Sahar
  • 1. Re: Display Newsfeed from UCM to Webcenter portal
    jiri.machotka Guru
    Hi Sahar,

there are at least two options:

1) metadata queries (UCM) and Content Presenter (WCP)
    2) RSS Feeds component (UCM) and RSS Task Flow (WCP)

ad 1) Take a look at this tutorial: http://www.yonaweb.be/webcenter_tutorial/using_content_presenter_templates

In a nutshell, your "news" can be any content stored in UCM, defined by its metadata. To display it, you may create a template according to your needs.

ad 2) This way might not be working any longer.

The idea is to use obtain news as RSS feeds and display them. As for the WCP part, there will be no problem - for details, see http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23943_01/webcenter.1111/e10149/rss.htm#WCSUG1384
    I am not, however, certain for the UCM part. There used to be a component that enabled sharing content as RSS feeds. The component is available at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/webcenter/content/rssfeeds-129386.zip
    Unfortunately, in 11g it seems to have been discontinued (I could find no reference to it in the 11g docs), though, it might be still working - see the discussion in How to enable RSS feeds in UCM

If you want to go this way, you will have to test it/fix it yourself.

Jiri
  • 2. Re: Display Newsfeed from UCM to Webcenter portal
    Sahar Hassan Explorer
    Hi Jiri,

I have followed the tutorial http://www.yonaweb.be/webcenter_tutorial/using_content_presenter_templates
    Once I run the portal, after clicking the "Create New" link from courses.jspx page, I am not able to see the Site Studio Contributor (as mentioned in the tutorial)
    What all I see is "Oracle Site Studio" page. Any idea how can I get Site Studio Conitributor?
  • 3. Re: Display Newsfeed from UCM to Webcenter portal
    Sahar Hassan Explorer
    Facing one issue in the tutorial link given
  • 4. Re: Display Newsfeed from UCM to Webcenter portal
    jiri.machotka Guru
    Any details?
  • 5. Re: Display Newsfeed from UCM to Webcenter portal
    Sahar Hassan Explorer
    From the Tutorial:

Because we currently don't have any trainings, we don't see anything. Click on the Create New link so we can finally create the training. If you get the login screen from UCM that's normal. The reason for this is because there is no single sign on configured between our application and UCM. For our tutorial this is not bad but once you are planning on using this in a production environment you should install OAM and configure SSO between UCM and WebCenter.

In the popup select New Contributor data file. In the next screen you need to specify the metadata of the file. Change the title to something meaningful like WebCenter training and put the file in the Vie Portal folder. Press Next and select Edit Content Item now. This will open the contribution mode in Site Studio:

I am worried about the line In the popup select New Contributor data file. All is well and fine except the popup where he says to select New contributor data file. I am not getting any such popup and the application is directly taking me to the Site Studio page.
  • 6. Re: Display Newsfeed from UCM to Webcenter portal
    jiri.machotka Guru
    My guess is that the Contributor Data File has already been created.

You should be able to view its ContentID and then search for it in UCM. You can delete it and repeat the scenario.

Note also that 'Check In New Contributor File' is an option that needs to be enabled for a placeholder (there are more like 'Use Existing', or 'Create New Native File' - the latter does not work from WebCenter Portal). That could be also worth looking into. However, if it works for you, I would not worry and just go ahead with the tutorial.
  • 7. Re: Display Newsfeed from UCM to Webcenter portal
    Sahar Hassan Explorer
    No, there is no Contributor data file been created.
    When I select Contributor data Files from the Site Assets drop down, I can see no Content ID.
  • 8. Re: Display Newsfeed from UCM to Webcenter portal
    jiri.machotka Guru
    I should probably see what you see, because
    taking me to the Site Studio page.
    makes me no sense.

(if you mean something like the image below the text: "In the popup select New Contributor data file. In the next screen you need to specify the metadata of the file. Change the title to something meaningful like WebCenter training and put the file in the Vie Portal folder. Press Next and select Edit Content Item now. This will open the contribution mode in Site Studio:", then ContentID is listed in the heading - UCM001402, or can be viewed on the 'Metadata' tab.

Note that the file will be created when you click on 'Save and Close' - then, you should be able to search for it in UCM)
  • 9. Re: Display Newsfeed from UCM to Webcenter portal
    Sahar Hassan Explorer
    It opens a new page but it is not similar to the image below those text.
    Instead, it displays a page with header "Oracle Site Studio" and there is no content inside the page.
    What I am still worried is that the popup supposed to appear during run time (When the Create New link is been clicked) is missing.

Please note that I have made a change to the code of goLink component in courses.jspx page as:
    <af:goLink id="create" 
      destination="http://localhost:7102/cs/resources/wcm/designer/contentwizard/contentwizard.hcsp?dDocType=Document&amp;cpRegDef=RD_TRAINING&amp;dSecurityGroup=Public&amp;cpIframe=true&amp;forceLogin=1"
       targetFrame="_blank" text="Create New"/><af:region value="#{bindings.doclibcontentpresenter1.regionModel}"
                           id="r1"/>
    Have made change in the destination attribute
    Edited by: Sahar Hassan on May 14, 2013 6:02 AM
  • 10. Re: Display Newsfeed from UCM to Webcenter portal
    jiri.machotka Guru
    It is possible that something is not configured on the Site Studio side.

I'd recommend you to get familiar with Site Studio first. Unfortunately, I am unable to locate the tutorial for Site Studio Designer. The reference guide is here http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23943_01/doc.1111/e10613/toc.htm and a tutorial for SSXA (the same principles, but a different technology) is here http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23943_01/doc.1111/e13650/ssxa_creatingsites.htm#sthref493

Note that you should be able to create a new site, its home page, a placeholder and assign content to it (via a CDF) from Site Studio only. Once it works, you can start with doing the same from the portal.
  • 11. Re: Display Newsfeed from UCM to Webcenter portal
    Sahar Hassan Explorer
    I have been going through some blogs about future of Site Studio and it was discussed that Site Studio will be dead since Oracle is pushing Webcenter sites.
    Is Webcenter sites an alternative to Site Studio and can I achieve my requirement using Webcenter sites?
  • 12. Re: Display Newsfeed from UCM to Webcenter portal
    jiri.machotka Guru
    That's, I'm afraid, a good question, that might unfortunately take us far away from your problem.

A simplistic (and perhaps, incorrect in some aspects) answer would be: WebCenter Sites is the Oracle solution for external web sites, that will be the strategic product for the future. WebCenter Content's Site Studio is still supported, and some of its concepts (e.g. inline editing of html resources) will be consumed by WebCenter Portal.

You could probably build your whole solution on WebCenter Sites (at the moment it has its own content repository, or can integrate with 3rd party content repositories like MSSO, or EMC Documentum), but it is a replacement of both WCP and WCC, not just WCC "under" WCP. But there are certainly some features unique to either WebCenter Sites, or WebCenter Portal, so you should think ahead what is the right technology in your case.

I have seen your other posts in the WCC forum, and I assume there is something missing - either in configuration of your system, or most likely in the definition of your site. Besides, you don't need to build the whole site, just to create one page with an editable region where you will verify that you can enter Contributor mode.

In an internal system I was able to find a Site Studio 10g Tutorial. I will send it to you. Maybe it will help you to find the missing piece.
  • 13. Re: Display Newsfeed from UCM to Webcenter portal
    Sahar Hassan Explorer
    Thanks a lot Jiri.
    I have fixed the issue now.
    Now we have another requirement: Localize the content.
    The portal is accessed across the globe and say, in China, people may want the contents and texts to be displayed in Chinese.
  • 14. Re: Display Newsfeed from UCM to Webcenter portal
    jiri.machotka Guru
    There is a number of inputs on this topic both in the forum or the internet (just google for 'multilingual WebCenter Portal').

If you don't know where to start, take a look at Re: building multilingual portal using WebCenter and its referenced links.
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points