This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2013 1:29 PM by CraigB RSS

GRAPHS IN ORACLE FORMS 10G

1005774 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello Everyone,

i would like to create a bar graph based on a block within my form. I have read alot, but haven't seen either how to send that data to and excel spreadsheet and then display it in a chart, or how to create using PL/SQL right in the form when a "button is pressed". Any directions would be greatly appreciated. (working with Oracle Dev Suite 10g, hooked into an 11g database)

thank you,

steven
  • 1. Re: GRAPHS IN ORACLE FORMS 10G
    CraigB Guru
    Steven,
    Oracle Forms 6i was the last version of the Forms Suite to include a Graphics Builder. With Forms 9i and greater you have to use a Java Bean (JB) to display graphics in a form. There is a version of the Graphics in the Forms Demo's on OTN's website and there are numerous articles on the internet that demonstrate how to use this or other Java Beans to display graphic (charts) in a Form. There are also several thread in the forum regarding this topic as well. Take a look at one of my favorite site for and example of how to use the FormsGraph.jar and the link to download it: Oracle Forms 10g release 2: Demos, Tips and Techniques operated by Fracois Degrelle.

Hope it helps,
    Craig...

Edited by: CraigB on May 9, 2013 4:03 PM
    I just tested the link on the download link listed in this site doesn't work any more. Here is the current link: Forms Downloads. Scroll down and select the Oracle Forms Graph Java Bean Demo link. You might also want to download the Oracle Forms 11g Demo Pack as well as there are other great examples of what you can do in forms in this demo pack.

Craig...
  • 2. Re: GRAPHS IN ORACLE FORMS 10G
    FrançoisDegrelle Oracle ACE
    <p>Thank you, Craig, for pointing this work. Here is a more recent url to that article.</p>
    Francois
  • 3. Re: GRAPHS IN ORACLE FORMS 10G
    1005774 Newbie
    which directory do i put the formsgraph-522400.jar file? and do i have to sign it? I'm utilizing oracle dev suite 10g.

thank you,

steven
  • 4. Re: GRAPHS IN ORACLE FORMS 10G
    1005774 Newbie
    from what the instructions say, this DEMO doesn't work with Windows 7 64 bit, only NT, 2000, and XP.

do you have a different experience with this DEMO in a Windows 7 64 bit configuration?

thank you,

steven
  • 5. Re: GRAPHS IN ORACLE FORMS 10G
    <p>Try the last forms demo pack 11g from the Oracle site.</p>
    Francois
  • 6. Re: GRAPHS IN ORACLE FORMS 10G
    1005774 Newbie
    it appears that this demo utilizes weblogic? because in step 3a, it's telling me to go to a place that i don't have.

i'm only have a server with an oracle database and then i connect to it utilizing Oracle Dev suite 10g. i'm just trying to create a simple bar graph from a block on a form utilizing two columns, one for the X axis and the other for the Y axis. Not sure i can finish trying to setup the demo when i don't have anything called middleware or weblogic installed.

help me please...

steven
  • 7. Re: GRAPHS IN ORACLE FORMS 10G
    CraigB Guru
    from what the instructions say, this DEMO doesn't work with Windows 7 64 bit, only NT, 2000, and XP.
    It should still work, although, I haven't tested to confirm. With Windows 7 64-bit, you're still going to have a 32-bit JRE installed in addition to the 64-bit JRE. Speaking of Java, make sure you are not using the included Oracle JInitiator. This JRE is way too old and is not compatible with any of the modern browsers (greater than IE 6).

The demo's should list the setup steps to use the FormsGraphs.jar, but here are the basics.
    1st - you have to copy the .jar to the /DevSuiteHome/forms/java directory.
    2nd - update the CLASSPATH in the default.env to include the new .jar file (make sure you include the full path with the file name).
    3rd - (Optional) update the Windows Registry to include the .jar file in the FORMS_BUILDER_CLASSPATH string in the DevSuiteHome hive. This step is optional, but you will get a Forms Builder error when you open the Canvas that has your Bean-Area item - but this error can be ignored.

Hope this helps,
    Craig...
  • 8. Re: GRAPHS IN ORACLE FORMS 10G
    1005774 Newbie
    Hi Craig,

Thank you for the info. I have put everything in place as you indicated. How do now bring the FromsGraph spec and body, as in the demo graph.fmb into my form? I clicked on Program Units and thought i could then click on the '+' sign and import that into the form, but it doesn't seem to know it and wants me to build the spec/package in a separate window.
  • 9. Re: GRAPHS IN ORACLE FORMS 10G
    CraigB Guru
    How do now bring the FromsGraph spec and body, as in the demo graph.fmb into my form?
    Open both files in the Forms Builder and then drag-n-drop or Copy and Paste the objects you want in your new form. You will be prompted to Copy or Subclass the objects. I recommend you copy them.

Craig...
  • 10. Re: GRAPHS IN ORACLE FORMS 10G
    1005774 Newbie
    Hi Craig,

After creating a 'image object' on the form, then changing it to a java area (item type), i am trying to add the to the Implementation Class to point at the FormsGraph.jar, but no matter what i type, it continues to indicate it can't find the object "FRM-13008: Cannot find JavaBean with name 'c:\devsuitehome_1\forms\java\FormsGraph.jar'.

I have added the FormsGraph to the Path and Class_Path, but not understanding why it can't find it. I pulled the file off the OTN site, does this need to be 'signed'

Just struggling with anything about Graphs and getting the environment all setup. Nothing seems to work.

getting frustrated,

thank you,

steven
  • 11. Re: GRAPHS IN ORACLE FORMS 10G
    FRM-13008: Cannot find JavaBean with name 'c:\devsuitehome_1\forms\java\FormsGraph.jar

This is a Design time message and you can ignore it. Most important is to have the bean working at runtime.

Francois
  • 12. Re: GRAPHS IN ORACLE FORMS 10G
    CraigB Guru
    Steven,
    As I mentioned in my previous post...
    3rd - (Optional) update the Windows Registry to include the .jar file in the FORMS_BUILDER_CLASSPATH string in the DevSuiteHome hive. This step is optional, but you will get a Forms Builder error when you open the Canvas that has your Bean-Area item - but this error can be ignored.
    If you don't want to see the design-time error, you have to update the FORMS_BUILDER_CLASSPATH string in the registry to include the .jar file.

This is only a design-time error so you can ignore it. As Francois stated, what's important is that it works in the Runtime.

Craig...
  • 13. Re: GRAPHS IN ORACLE FORMS 10G
    1005774 Newbie
    Hi Craig,

still trying to get the 11g_demos to work on my system. I went back through the installguide.html and was very meticulous to ensure all was correctly modified and put in place as stated. One question i do have is, i'm not running web_logic and there was one part where your suppose to add in the following:

Modify the Forms demo environment file
    Using a text editor, open the Forms demo environment file:

C:\Oracle\Middleware\user_projects\domains\ClassicDomain\servers\WLS_FORMS\stage\formsapp\11.1.1\formsapp\config\formsdemo.env

since I run everything on my laptop locally, i'm not running web_logic and don't have any folders starting from "user_projects\domain...."

when i lauch the demo.html, the page comes up, but i no links work. it appears that it's not actually getting a URL and when i put the URL that comes up when i run my FORMS, and slightly modifiy it to point at the demo.html, it doesn't find anything... 404 error i believe is what came up.

any thoughts?

thank you,

steven
  • 14. Re: GRAPHS IN ORACLE FORMS 10G
    CraigB Guru
    Steven,
    Let's clear up something first. In order to run the 11g Demo's you're going to have to have Forms 11g installed and running. I should have nipped this in the bud sooner and recommended you download and install the Forms 10g Demo instead of the 11g Demo's. I am sorry, I should have caught this sooner! :( I didn't realize you were going to try and run the demos. I assumed you were just going to get the .jar file and use it with Forms 10g.

Since you intend on running the demo's I recommend you download the Forms 10g Demos and install them. You will have to start an OC4J instance in order to run the demmos. Finding the 10g demos on Oracle's web site is not easy, but I found them. Here is a direct link: http://download.oracle.com/otn/other/general/forms10gdemos9_0_4_2.zip and I have confirmed that it works.

Again, sorry I didn't recommend this sooner. It would have saved you some trouble.

Craig...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points