This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2013 6:51 AM by Dude! RSS

How to connect the two virtual machine .

GaneshDevadhe Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I installed VM workstation and created two virtual machine .Please suggest me how to connect them internally each other though vm network editor.I want create RAC Setup for practice.
  • 1. Re: How to connect the two virtual machine .
    EdStevens Guru
    Ganesh Devadhe wrote:
    I installed VM workstation and created two virtual machine .Please suggest me how to connect them internally each other though vm network editor.I want create RAC Setup for practice.
    This uses VirtualBox instead of VMware, and there are some differences in the way the two handle host network adapters, but you might find it useful: http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/11g/oracle-db-11gr2-rac-installation-on-oel5-using-virtualbox.php

Beyond that, your question is really too vague to answer with any specificity.
  • 2. Re: How to connect the two virtual machine .
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Ganesh Devadhe wrote:
    For RAC VMs, I suggest 2 virtual NICs per VM.

The 1st NIC is the public interface. For that you either use NAT or bridged configuration.

The 2nd NIC is for the Interconnect interface. That needs to be a dedicated private interface and network. For that I suggest using the internal network configuration option - this results in a virtualised interface that only exists in VM space, and that can only be "seen" (via IP) by other VMs in that VM space.

VirtualBox of course - not sure how this translates to VMware. Been a while since I last use VMware.
  • 3. Re: How to connect the two virtual machine .
    Dude! Guru
    NAT is the default adapter type in VirtualBox, which will work in almost any configuration and networking environment. Using the NAT adapter, the host system will establish connections on behalf of the guest OS. NAT requires that the corresponding VM guest adapter uses DHCP and cannot be used to provide any services unless you configure port forwarding (>1024) at the VirtualBox VM NAT adapter.

Bridged networking is the most transparent adapter type, but requires a physical network adapter on the host OS, which is limited depending on the host system and hardware, e.g. wireless. It also requires that the user understands network and routing restrictions of the host system in case of using the interface to communicate between the host and VM. A combination of host-only and NAT may sometimes be necessary to allow the VM to connect to the internet and allow the host to communicate with the VM guest OS.

Btw, the host-only adapter IP actually works on behalf of the host OS and can be used to allow the VM to access the host system. So if Internet is not required, the NAT or bridged adapter are not required. I'm not sure if many people realize that, since it's not really mentioned in the documentation. So if you use the host-only adapter, simply use the host-only IP instead of the host system real IP to connect the VM to the host OS.

I also switched to VirtualBox a couple of years ago, mainly because it provides more VM hardware options, is free and because of the ability to manage multiple virtual machines and group them together. I have about 70 virtual machines for testing and evaluating configured on my home computer. I also like the option in VirtualBox to clone a VM based on a Snapshot.

VMware provides a Virtual Network Editor in VMware Workstation (KB 1018697), which allows to customize any of the existing virtual network adapter or add new ones. The available technologies under any Type 2 hypervisor are very similar between different products:

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws45/doc/network_configure_ws.html

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points