3 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2013 2:33 PM by KonradZuse RSS

Advantages of DataFX over standard JDBC?  RedFX?

KonradZuse
      So I've been looking into DataFX, and it seems interesting; however someone I work with thinks there is no point to it over just using a standard MYSQL DB and connecting through Connector/J.

http://www.javafxdata.org/

IT seems like it's supposed to make life easier so I'm curious about it, and how much we use it? Do we still use Normal SQL statements, or is everything done with the DataSources within DataFX? We still need to connect and all of that I would assume?

I'm also looking to have my data stored up on a server, so I'm interested in RedFX also http://www.redfx.org/technology.html .

Any help or insight is appreciated :)

~KZ
        • 1. Re: Advantages of DataFX over standard JDBC?  RedFX?
          gimbal2
          KonradZuse wrote:
          however someone I work with thinks there is no point to it over just using a standard MYSQL DB and connecting through Connector/J.
          Implying that you would hook up a JavaFX application directly to a database, which 99/100 times is just a Very Bad Idea. DataFX however provides many more means of providing the data for JavaFX controls.

And with that kind of reasoning we'd all still be programming in Assembly. Because hey - its possible so what is the point of going higher level?
          • 2. Re: Advantages of DataFX over standard JDBC?  RedFX?
            csh
            I never worked or even looked into DataFX, so I can't tell anything about it. But RedFX looks really outdated. (Page is from 2010 and samples are for JavaFX 1.3).

But I can tell you that we and probably many many others manage to write their application without these frameworks.
            • 3. Re: Advantages of DataFX over standard JDBC?  RedFX?
              KonradZuse
              The guy is a very oldschool programmer, and is very against "3rd party" since he had to use a lot of them back in the day, and still now.

What is the issue with connecting to a DB directly, why is it a bad idea?

The person seemed to not understand that it's not just certain files, but it's also JDBC, they kept saying "why not just SQL statements, and how is this better?" It's like who cares honestly... If it works, and it does a better job, then yeah!!!