3 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2013 10:08 AM by slas RSS

section size backup

We are on Oracle RDBMS We have a table with a LOB column in a bigfile tablespace that has grown to 113 GB. We're looking for a better solution to our backup time of 4 1/2 hours. We have to use compressed backup also due to space limitations. One of the things I found interesting was "section size" and see it as a way to possibly bring down the backup time on the bigfile tablespace but it can't be used on a full backup. Here's what seems feasible.

1) Use "section size" to backup the bigfile tablespace
      2) Backup everything else normally omitting the bigfile tablespace
      3) Keeping everything online and in synch

Is this possible and what are the possible issues?
      Is anyone using this type of "mixed" backup solution?
      Are there any additional solutions as to how to handle the size issue?

Edited by: slas on May 15, 2013 1:35 PM
        • 1. Re: section size backup
          Have you enabled block change tracking and are you using a combination of incremental Level 0 and Level 1 backups?
          • 2. Re: section size backup
            No we have not. The requirement from mgt was a full nightly backup. I omitted something else, this is a standby database. We have tested recovery of the standby backup to production and all works well. Again, we are space limited which is why we backup the standby (on it's own server) as opposed to production.

I found another post where someone had reduced their backup time by2 hours with this approach so I decided to try it:

Exclude the huge tablespace.
            Backup the rest of the database.
            Backup the huge tablespace using "section size"
            Backup archivelogs
            Backup controlfile.

This attempt resulted in the RMAN error:
            RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
            RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
            RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
            RMAN-03002: failure of configure command at 05/16/2013 10:23:19
            RMAN-05021: this configuration cannot be changed for a BACKUP or STANDBY control file
            I was unaware that you can not exclude a tablespace when backing up a standby database. Lesson learned. The quest continues.

Edited by: slas on May 16, 2013 9:01 AM

Edited by: slas on May 16, 2013 9:01 AM
            • 3. Re: section size backup
              Our Solution:

To take advantage of our processors configure default:
              New command, with the above configuration, took our compressed backups of a 175 GB database, with a 113 GB tablespace with LOB data, down from 4 1/2 hours to around 20 minutes.
              backup as compressed backupset section size 2500M database plus archivelog;