4 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2013 4:07 AM by rarain RSS

Asm striping

user8779435
      Hi

I've two shared disks under /dev/mapper folder. How can i create a diskgroup with fine striping to store redo logs in it?
      I wasn't able to find the parameter to define striping in CREATE DISKGROUP command
      thanks

John

P.S. I'm using Orale 10g on Linux

Edited by: user8779435 on May 16, 2013 10:16 PM
        • 1. Re: Asm striping
          P.Forstmann
          To change default striping you need :
          1. to use ALTER DISKGROUP with ADD TEMPLATE or ALTER TEMPLATE clause: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/storeman.htm#i1019485.
          2. to create the database file with the right template: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/storeman.htm#i1010348.
          • 2. Re: Asm striping
            user8779435
            Thank you so much
            I've defined template and added new diskgroup (with number 5)
            When I query v$asm_template I see new lines were added with group_number 5 where it uses different striping for onlinelogs, controlfiles, datafiles and etc.
            I will use this dskgroup for online redo log files, so how asm defines that the files are online log files and uses correct striping?
            thanks
            • 3. Re: Asm striping
              Alvaro
              Striping is enforced by ASM at the file level not diskgroup.

Redundancy is enforced at diskgroup level.

ASM knows which file is what by it's header when it gets created and will apply the stripping accordingly, as set on the template.
              • 4. Re: Asm striping
                rarain
                Hi,

But we can also specify protection level while creating the template. For example let's say we have a diskgroup +DATA with normal redudancy and I created a template for DATA diskgroup with protection level UNPROTECTED, in that case whatever files will be created with this template will not mirror the data although diskgroup redudancy level is Normal.

Thanks