This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2013 2:24 AM by rarain RSS

Create an Object in Logical standby database in Oracle 10G

978946 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I have logical standby database in oracle 10g R2 for reporting purpose.Now i want to create procedure in logical standby which is use to create new temp table in logical standby and contained data generated from select operation on existing table.

Can i create a new user in logical standby database,add new tablespace in logical standby which can insert,update and delete data in standby database base table?

kindly provide me the steps to implement all this.What will be effect if i set guard_Status in v$database is NONE in logical standby?

Thanks,
Shital Patel
  • 1. Re: Create an Object in Logical standby database in Oracle 10G
    rarain Explorer
    Hi Shital,

Guard_status protects the data from being changed.

ALL- By default it is not possible for a non-privileged user to modify data on a data guard SQL apply database. This is because the database guard is automatically set to ALL.
    With this level of security, only SYS user can modify the data.

STANDBY- When you set this level of security, users are able to modify data that is not maintained by the Logical apply engine.

NONE permits any users to access the standby database as long as they have correct privileges. This is the normal security for all data in the database.

You can change the guard status value from ALL to NONE in order to allow non-privileged users to modify data and Yes you can create user and extra tablespace in logical standby database..this is what the one of advantage of using Logical standby database.

SQL> ALTER DATABASE GUARD NONE;

Thanks
  • 2. Re: Create an Object in Logical standby database in Oracle 10G
    978946 Newbie
    If I set the gaurd_status=standby..

Will it allow me to create an object in Logial standby?

In which scenario standby data sync with prod?

Thanks,
    Shital Patel
  • 3. Re: Create an Object in Logical standby database in Oracle 10G
    rarain Explorer
    Hi Shital,

guard_status=standby wil not allow you to create new database objects, you have to set it to none. Standby database is not meant for sync with production but when you perform the switchover after that existing standby become primary and old primary become standby in that case syncing will happen from new primary to new standby.

Thanks

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points