8 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2013 12:17 PM by EdStevens RSS

Installation - Best Practices

Howdy everybody,

I want to know if is recommended that i install Oracle Database (XE, Enterprise, Standard) using oracle-validated, yum install (from internet) or using packages from DVD - Media ?

if DVD - Media, they are can send me the commands necessary to install?

for example:

for Oracle XE 11gR2:

rpm -Uvh libaio.1234.rpm
      rpm -Uvh unixodbc.1234.rpm

what is command full to install?

and about Enterprise and Express, is necessary that I install all packages from dvd for Oracle Express? or only Enterprise?

Thanks everybody!

Att,
      Lucas

Edited by: 1005247 on 18/05/2013 07:08
        • 1. Re: Installation - Best Practices
          EdStevens
          1005247 wrote:
          Howdy everybody,

I want to know if is recommended that i install Oracle Database (XE, Enterprise, Standard) using oracle-validated, yum install (from internet) or using packages from DVD - Media ?

if DVD - Media, they are can send me the commands necessary to install?

for example:

for Oracle XE 11gR2:

rpm -Uvh libaio.1234.rpm
          rpm -Uvh unixodbc.1234.rpm

what is command full to install?

and about Enterprise and Express, is necessary that I install all packages from dvd?

Thanks everybody!

Att,
          Lucas
          It doesn't matter where you get the packages from. But by far the easiest way to meet the requirement is to install the oracle-validated package from oracle's yum server.
          • 2. Re: Installation - Best Practices
            all right... but there are many people that said is not good to use from yum install (internet), because if you install from internet, many packages is not necessary to oracle....
            what you think?

And about oracle express, is necessary that you install all packages? similar is enterprise?
            • 3. Re: Installation - Best Practices
              Srini Chavali-Oracle
              All required packages are documented in the appropriate install guide. It is recommended to use yum to install necessary packages/rpm/updates.

http://public-yum.oracle.com/

HTH
              Srini
              • 4. Re: Installation - Best Practices
                Enterprise, Express, Stantard and Standard Edition?
                • 5. Re: Installation - Best Practices
                  sb92075
                  1005247 wrote:
                  Enterprise, Express, Stantard and Standard Edition?
                  yes, as needed
                  Install all 4 editions in/on their own VM to see what is required for each.
                  • 6. Re: Installation - Best Practices
                    my doubt is if necessary i using oracle-validated, yum install rdbms in all editions oracle...
                    • 7. Re: Installation - Best Practices
                      sb92075
                      1005247 wrote:
                      my doubt is if necessary i using oracle-validated, yum install rdbms in all editions oracle...
                      Answer depends upon what exactly you start with.
                      Install all 4 editions in/on their own VM to see what is required for each.
                      • 8. Re: Installation - Best Practices
                        EdStevens
                        1005247 wrote:
                        all right... but there are many people that said is not good to use from yum install (internet), because if you install from internet, many packages is not necessary to oracle....
                        what you think?
                        What do I think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bufTna0WArc

The 'oracle-validated' package is actually just a specification of packages that are needed to support oracle. It will not download anything that is not needed to support oracle. If you would rather do rpm package installs from the distribution media, and thus enter into 'package dependency hell' -- well, knock yourself out.
                        And about oracle express, is necessary that you install all packages? similar is enterprise?
                        What do the Installation Guides say?