This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2013 10:43 PM by 948748 RSS

Beginner Help

1009614 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
hi everyone .!
how are all of you.? hope u'll be well today.........................

I am going to start java......... I want to become an expert programmer in java because I know C++. so going to start java.
I want to learn everything of java language (from A to Z). like a professional................. so anyone please guide me. i'll be very thankfull to you..................................
  • 1. Re: Beginner Help
    939520 Explorer
    I suggest you go to amazon.com and look for a beginner book on Java that has high ratings (reviews) and that isn't too old (not more than 2 or 3 years?). You can also go to Barnes and Knoble if you want to skim through a book to see if its to your liking. I know you have experience in C++ and may consider yourself beyond a beginner book on Java, but such a book will introduce you to the syntax. Read the book from cover to cover and work through some of the examples on the command line to get familiar with the compiler, etc. Then download Eclipse IDE (its free) and work through some more of the examples. From there, you can develop desktop applications or web applications. I personally suggest you go with web applications since I suspect there are more jobs in that field. If you go that route, I suggest you read a book on JSF. Install Glassfish server. Create a Hello world JSF project and get to launch within Eclipse. Next, install Oracle Express (its free), create a few one-to-many and many-to-many tables (foreign keys). Create a basic CRUD project based on MVC principals to display data from the database in JSF. You will have to read up on JDBC to connect to the database. You can find on-line articles on how to use JDBC. Thereafter, see what other technologies are in the JEE6 stack that you would like to read up on.
  • 2. Re: Beginner Help
    rp0428 Guru
    Welcome to the forum!
    >
    I am going to start java......... I want to become an expert programmer in java because I know C++. so going to start java.
    I want to learn everything of java language (from A to Z). like a professional................. so anyone please guide me. i'll be very thankfull to you..................................
    >
    The Oracle Java Tutorial covers most of the basic and intermediate functionality and it includes source code.
    http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/

You should download the latest JDK and an IDE to use. This is the Oracle Java download page and there is a download button you can use to download a JDK that includes Netbeans.
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

Remember - the forums are to HELP you - not to do things for you. If you run into a problem post here in the 'New To Java' forum and provide all of the information needed to help. That info will often include the JDK version, the OS and version and maybe even the IDE and version you are using. For code issues you will need to post code that demonstrates the problem.

Good luck!
  • 3. Re: Beginner Help
    gimbal2 Guru
    Your dot button seems to be broken, I would have that fixed.
    1006611 wrote:
    I want to learn everything of java language (from A to Z).
    Great!
    like a professional
    Well not specifically.
    so anyone please guide me.
    And too bad. A pro knows how to find his/her own information.
  • 4. Re: Beginner Help
    1009614 Newbie
    :P
  • 5. Re: Beginner Help
    1009614 Newbie
    I got it................. obviously I have knowledge of C++, also well known of java syntax, I also have Programming Skills..........................................

I actually don't have a proper approach to learn java deeply, no guidance, what to do.? or what not to do in order to learn java..?
    tell me the path, the way to learn, the way to improve my performance. so I am able to develop small applications to large applications.?
  • 6. Re: Beginner Help
    HyperTension Newbie
    Master the OOP concepts in core java. Then try to access libraries in Java using same concepts. Libraries can be downloaded or generated by using javadoc command once you are done with installation of java. Once you know how to access libraries i.e. classes and its methods then you can code in advance Java i.e. Java EE using Servlets and JSPs

Hope this helps

Also try to keep an eye over Memory Management though Garbage Collector does it for us u should be an efficient programmer

Best Luck

Edited by: HyperTension on May 31, 2013 12:01 AM
  • 7. Re: Beginner Help
    iarpan Newbie
    And yes to be honest you need not download any IDE as of now. You can start with notepad as it will be good for your own understanding of errors otherwise NetBeans and Eclipse will keep on suggesting you about the possibility of the the error by giving a red underline. I would recommend you not to use Notepad++ either.

You can always code in these IDEs once you write you code on your own in Notepads

Hope You Understand this thing
  • 8. Re: Beginner Help
    948748 Newbie
    As you already knew C++, the keywords, operators, control statements, class structure are similar in Java.
    Identify the differences between C++ and Java.
    Idenfity the topics new to you such as :
    1. enhanced for loop, var arg, diamond operators, generics(templates in C++), try-with-resources, Object class methods, interfaces and etc.
    2. know Java API and its hierachy
    3. Collections Frameworks
    4. File I/O and FileNIO
    5. Concurrency Classes
    6. MultiThreading
    These concepts majorly for console based application, after practicing these you could start with graphical application development tool kit (Applets, Swing, Java FX)

Hope this information may help you.

Happy learning!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points