This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 37 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2013 3:53 AM by user10394539 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Minority Interest calculation and consolidation
    KostasN. Expert
    Currently Being Moderated
    Hi again,
    First of all, minority interest is not something that must be calculated at the base level -i.e. at the <Entity Currency> level of the base entity. So the fact that minority interest does not appears when the <Entity Currency> calculates should not annoy you, its how it should be. Minority interest should appear at the [Proportion] level and above, up to [Contribution Total] and further to the <Entity Currency> of the parent entity. But this discussion has to do a lot with the accountant you're talking to, so I can't know what are the specific likings of this individual. If it was my client I could definitely manage this.

Now, about the 80% thing you mention, as soon as your PMin contains the correct value -i.e. 20% it should calculate correctly. I have tried to minimize changes to your code as much as possible, so I have intentionally left one more point of your code intact, which is the percentage used. The correct minority percent to use is 1-HS.Node.POwn("") and not PCon-POwn (so that it won't depend on any accidental error input to PCon). Therefore I would suggest that you try to use the vMin variable in HS.Con of the minority interest, instead of Pmin.

Hope you get it right this time.

Regards,
    Kostas
  • 16. Re: Minority Interest calculation and consolidation
    user10394539 Newbie
    Sub Consolidate()

Method=HS.Node.Method("")
    PCon=HS.Node.PCon("")
    POwn=HS.Node.POwn("")
    vMin=1-HS.Node.POwn("")
    Dim strAccount,i

Set DataUnit=HS.OpenDataUnit("")
    NumItems=DataUnit.GetNumItems
    For i=0 to NumItems-1

Call DataUnit.GetItem(i,strAccount,ICP,Custom1,Custom2,Custom3,Custom4,Data)

If Method="Holding" Then

Call HS.Con("",PCon,"")
    End If

If Method="Global" Then

If StrAccount = "CapitalStock" Then

Call HS.Con("",POwn,"")
    Call HS.Con("A#281100",vMin,"")
    ElseIf StrAccount = "Investments" Then

Call HS.Con("",POwn,"")
    Call HS.Con("A#281100", (-1) * vMin,"")
    Else

Call HS.Con("",POwn,"")
    End If
    End If
    Next

End sub

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Kostas , As you suggested we have tried the above code using the vMin instead.

Values for Minority Interest are not getting populated in either of these value dimensions : <Entity Currency> <Parent Currency> <Proportion> <Contribution> etc

There is no value getting populated with the Minority Account : A#281100 .
  • 17. Re: Minority Interest calculation and consolidation
    KostasN. Expert
    Hi again, are you sure you have set up the correct Pown, Active and Method = "Global" for the period you do the testing? One more thing to check is the dimensionality of accounts 281100, CapitalStock and Investments. Do all these accounts support identical custom dimension top members, do they support the same IsICP flag?
  • 18. Re: Minority Interest calculation and consolidation
    user10394539 Newbie
    Hi Kostas,

USD
    L__AU
    L__NZ
    L__US

I have given "Global" method for NZ with POwn as 80% and Pmin as 20%. US being "Holding" with PCON as 100%. Both are active. There is no Custom1 member tagged to Investments and CapitalStock, but 281100 has a Custom1 member tagged to it. IsICP is "N" for all of them.
  • 19. Re: Minority Interest calculation and consolidation
    KostasN. Expert
    Since 281100 has an associated Custom1 top member, you should use one of the base members of custom1 to carry your consolidation results, like this:
    Call HS.Con("A#281100.C1#some-base-member",vMin,"")
  • 20. Re: Minority Interest calculation and consolidation
    user10394539 Newbie
    If i am not wrong, "A#281100.C1#some-base-member" will have the minority value calculated @ [Propotion] based on our rule....am i correct ? What confuses me is without having value in A#281100 minority interest, how does consolidation happens to it @ 20% ?
  • 21. Re: Minority Interest calculation and consolidation
    KostasN. Expert
    Yes, "A#281100.C1#some-base-member" is meant to have the value @ [Proportion]. This is how proportionalization works. When the loop runs, for each i a combination of account, customs and icp is picked. With the HS.Con function you tell the system where this value will be directed @ [Proportion] and using which percentage. So, for example consider the lines below:
    If If StrAccount = "CapitalStock" Then
    Call HS.Con("",POwn,"")
    Call HS.Con("A#281100.C1#some-base-member",vMin,"")
    As soon as the account picked during the loop is "CapitalStock", two things will happen:
    1. First CapitalStock will be proportionalized @ POwn to the same account "CapitalStock" (now I'm seeing this again it is incorrect, it should be PCon here), and
    2. The same value of CapitalStock will get proportionalized @ vMin to the A#281100.C1#some-base-member.

Remember that the first argument of HS.Con is the destination POV, whereby if you leave it empty it will mean the same as the source POV (the one picked by the DataUnitGetItem() during the execution of each loop, but if you specify it to be a different account combined with some customs then the amount will be redirected to the POV you specify as the destination. So, it is not necessary to have every account populated @ <Entity Currency> level in order to see numbers in that account @ [Proportion].

--Kostas

Edited by: Kostas N. on May 20, 2013 1:31 PM
  • 22. Re: Minority Interest calculation and consolidation
    user10394539 Newbie
    We tried Exactly the same as you mentioned. We also changed POwn to PCon . But we are Still Unable to populate the values using the custom member views aswell. Could u kindly provide ur mail id . i would email u the screenshot . Thanks a lot.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sub Consolidate()

PCon=HS.Node.PCon("")
    POwn=HS.Node.POwn("")
    vMin=1-HS.Node.POwn("")
    PMin=PCon-POwn
    Dim strAccount,i

For i=0 to NumItems-1

If Method="Holding" Then

Call HS.Con("",PCon,"")
    End If

If Method="Global" Then

Call HS.Con("",PCon,"")
    Call HS.Con("A#281100.C1#TopMinorityInvLiab",vMin,"")

Call HS.Con("",PCon,"")
    Call HS.Con("A#281100.C1#TopMinorityInvLiab", (-1) * vMin,"")
    Else

Call HS.Con("",POwn,"")
    End If
    End If
    Next

End sub
  • 23. Re: Minority Interest calculation and consolidation
    KostasN. Expert
    From what you write in the code:
    "A#281100.C1#TopMinorityInvLiab"
    my understanding is that you use the top member of the Custom1 hierarchy, which won't work. In all kinds of calculations in HFM, you have to use base members as calculation targets.

Also have in mind that the percentage under the "Else" part of the code should also be PCon.

If you still have a problem, we'll see what we'll do, please understand that I wouldn't expose my e-mail publicly.

--Kostas                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
  • 24. Re: Minority Interest calculation and consolidation
    user10394539 Newbie
    Hi Kostas, Sorry .. I just thought will send u the screenshots of grid where we are not getting the value @ Minority interest...
    I tried the method u suggested nw ...but in vain...

Sub Consolidate()

PCon=HS.Node.PCon("")
    POwn=HS.Node.POwn("")
    vMin=1-HS.Node.POwn("")
    PMin=PCon-POwn
    Dim strAccount,i

For i=0 to NumItems-1

If Method="Holding" Then

Call HS.Con("",PCon,"")
    End If

If Method="Global" Then

Call HS.Con("",PCon,"")
    Call HS.Con("A#281100.C1#BegBalMIL",vMin,"")

Call HS.Con("",PCon,"")
    Call HS.Con("A#281100.C1#BegBalMIL", (-1) * vMin,"")
    Else

Call HS.Con("",PCon,"")
    End If
    End If
    Next

End sub

where "BegBalMIL" is the base member in Cutsom1 dimension.
  • 25. Re: Minority Interest calculation and consolidation
    user10394539 Newbie
    Hi Kostas... Sorry ...I just thoght will send u the screenshot of grid where value is not populating @ Minority interest,
    I tried the way u have suggested but in vain:

Sub Consolidate()

PCon=HS.Node.PCon("")
    POwn=HS.Node.POwn("")
    vMin=1-HS.Node.POwn("")
    Dim strAccount,i

For i=0 to NumItems-1

If Method="Holding" Then

Call HS.Con("",PCon,"")
    End If

If Method="Global" Then

Call HS.Con("",PCon,"")
    Call HS.Con("A#281100.C1#BegBalMIL",vMin,"")

Call HS.Con("",PCon,"")
    Call HS.Con("A#281100.C1#BegBalMIL", (-1) * vMin,"")
    Else

Call HS.Con("",PCon,"")
    End If
    End If
    Next

End sub

where BegBalMIL is the base member in Custom1 dimesion of TopMinorityInvLiab
  • 26. Re: Minority Interest calculation and consolidation
    KostasN. Expert
    Well, just seeing the empty cells would not help to determine why they are empty.

Three more things:
    1. Are you getting values @ [Proportion] for "CapitalStock" and "Investments" accounts?

2. From the name of your C1#BegBalMIL, I suspect that there is a calculation rule pulling from prior year ending balances. This would carry the zero over from the previous year @ [Proportion], overwritting your 20% minority interest.

3. Another reason that nothing appears @ [Proportion] is more complex. This may happen when your scenario is set as ConsolidationYTD = "No" and your accounts are either revenue or expense type and there is no change of the balance of that accounts between the current and the previous period @ <Entity Currency> -i.e. Periodic = 0. However, CapitalStock and Investments accounts are normally of asset/liability type and this should not be the case.
  • 27. Re: Minority Interest calculation and consolidation
    user10394539 Newbie
    Hi Kostas,

1. Are you getting values @ [Proportion] for "CapitalStock" and "Investments" accounts?

Yes, we are getting values @ [Proportion] for "CapitalStock" and "Investments" accounts.

2. From the name of your C1#BegBalMIL, I suspect that there is a calculation rule pulling from prior year ending balances. This would carry the zero over from the previous year @ [Proportion], overwritting your 20% minority interest.

We tried changing the Custom1 base member as below: . Even then no values are populating

Sub Consolidate()

PCon=HS.Node.PCon("")
    POwn=HS.Node.POwn("")
    vMin=1-HS.Node.POwn("")
    PMin=PCon-POwn
    Dim strAccount,i

For i=0 to NumItems-1

If Method="Holding" Then

Call HS.Con("",PCon,"")
    End If

If Method="Global" Then

Call HS.Con("",PCon,"")
    Call HS.Con("A#281100.C1#MinorityInterestPct",vMin,"")

Call HS.Con("",PCon,"")
    Call HS.Con("A#281100.C1#MinorityInterestPct", (-1) * vMin,"")
    Else

Call HS.Con("",POwn,"")
    End If
    End If
    Next

End sub

• 28. Re: Minority Interest calculation and consolidation
    KostasN. Expert
    The values you get in "CapitalStock" and "Investments" accounts @ [Proportion] are 100% or 80% of the corresponding values at <Entity Currency> level?

If 80%, it means that the else part is executed, which in turn means that the code never passes in the "CapitalStock" and "Investments" parts during execution.

If 100%, it means that the actions related to the specific accounts "CapitalStock" and "Investments" are executed, including the A#281100 part. Then, there is something about your account like a calculation rule cleaning it up or something. Can you create a new dimensionless (all Customs [None], IsICP = "N") test account and try using this account in place of A#281100 to see if it gets a value?

--Kostas                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
  • 29. Re: Minority Interest calculation and consolidation
    user10394539 Newbie
    Hi Kostas,

The values that i am getting in "CapitalStock" and "Investments" accounts @ [Proportion] is 80% at <Entity Currency> level.
    So u mean to say that the code is not passing in the "CapitalStock" and "Investments" parts during execution?

If this is the case pls do suggest me what changes needs to be done to make the code functionable?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points