4 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2013 12:37 PM by xerces8

DBTIMEZONE

hi
      In my database when i query i get the following info.Can anyone say what is difference.my DBTime is +00.00.
      The systimestamp shows some thing different.Can anyone help.

SESSIONTIMEZONE
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Asia/Calcutta

1 rows selected

DBTIMEZONE
      ----------
      +00:00

1 rows selected

SYSTIMESTAMP
      -------------
      20-JUL-10 06.06.49.141927000 AM -04:00

1 rows selected

Thanks
        • 1. Re: DBTIMEZONE
          Aman....
          Sessiontimezone is the local setting of your client whereas the dbtimezone is the time zone of your db. So if they are different, it shouldn't be a problem.

HTH
          Aman....
          • 2. Re: DBTIMEZONE
            Hi

Is systimestamp and dbtimezone different? because i see systimestamp gives GMT -4:00 and dbtimezone gives +00:00.
            Any clue why is this difference?
            My thinking is systimestamp gives you the system(OS) level and dbtimezone gives you in db level.
            Can you confirm this?
            • 3. Re: DBTIMEZONE
              Girish Sharma
              http://psoug.org/reference/timestamp.html#tdtz

may be of your interest.
              • 4. Re: DBTIMEZONE
                xerces8
                newbie wrote:

Is systimestamp and dbtimezone different? because i see systimestamp gives GMT -4:00 and dbtimezone gives +00:00.
                Any clue why is this difference?
                My thinking is systimestamp gives you the system(OS) level and dbtimezone gives you in db level.
                Can you confirm this?
                The seconds answer (by user Chi) on this page explains this mystery: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8884545/oracle-10g-time-zone-confusion

(I can not vouch that it is the real true answer, but it makes sense. Someone with time could play around with his server and confirm or deny those claims.)