1 2 3 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2013 11:53 AM by jgarry Go to original post RSS
      • 30. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
        jgarry
        "If you want something done, ask a busy person" - Benjamin Franklin or Lucille Ball or some busy person :D

Appreciate you putting thought into this, you will have to oversimplify things. We've seen aces leave Oracle and come back, and sooner or later someone will leave a company under a cloud and not want to be associated with it.

It's a great idea to have people be recognized beyond a single site (I wanted to do that myself from the usenet side, but the effort petered out, no one seemed interested so I lost interest). I think people should be given control over how much or how little that happens. As we've seen, it's quite a motivator, many will want to. I'd like to see points for humility ;)
        • 31. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
          sonyabarry-Oracle
          Hi Aman,

I'm not sure what we'll do in that case - although this thread did get Ops attention so it's been put on the table to discuss internally now. :)

I'm working directly with MOS on the project and will be working toward the solution that best suits them.

Sonya
          • 32. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
            Aman....
            sonyabarry wrote:
            Hi Aman,

I'm not sure what we'll do in that case - although this thread did get Ops attention so it's been put on the table to discuss internally now. :)
            That's good :-) . So hopefully we shall hear something about it soon!
            I'm working directly with MOS on the project and will be working toward the solution that best suits them.
            The solution that would best serve the oracle community , yes ;-) ?

Aman....
            • 33. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
              Dude!
              sonyabarry wrote:
              Hi Sanjay,

Points were tweaked a while back to keep them in line with the points system in the MOS forums because we will be merging OTN and MOS together at some point in the next year, so we wanted the status levels and names to be consistent across the board.
              I have to admit that up until you mentioned it, I never bothered to check in more details what is behind the community tab on "My Oracle Support".

Like it was previously mentioned in this thread already by another member, I too don't like the interface much. It requires an alarm when a page has loaded ;-) I like the option to upload a document though.

Sharing MOS content is not allowed in the current OTN forum. OTN is a public forum, MOS obviously isn't. Would there not be a conflict of interests when merging the two? But then again, perhaps I don't know what the MOS community is for or why it was actually created. And for what it's worth, to add some relevant info to this thread, community feedback on MOS is apparently more positive about the point system.
              • 34. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
                sonyabarry-Oracle
                I don't think there will be a conflict of interest - there are already people who mistakenly link to things from there in the public forums. That's never going to change, but they will still be in a separate space, so users who don't have explicit access will never see it any more than they do now.

The main idea is to consolidate as much community discussion on one platform as possible, and to provide a consistent experience to users who are part of multiple communities.
                • 35. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
                  Aman....
                  sonyabarry wrote:
                  I don't think there will be a conflict of interest - there are already people who mistakenly link to things from there in the public forums. That's never going to change, but they will still be in a separate space, so users who don't have explicit access will never see it any more than they do now.
                  The main idea is to consolidate as much community discussion on one platform as possible, and to provide a consistent experience to users who are part of multiple communities.
                  Hi Sonya,

I believe that we are talking about two different things here. The content over MOS is definitely restricted so access of that, without explicitly being shared by someone, to those who don't have a valid CSI is not going to happen. That's happening even now too! But when you say that there is going to be a merger between the OTN forums and MOS community, the issue is the login access that is done via the email. For most, the MOS access is not taken by them using their personal emails and money but from their employer and the login email is also the business email. Now, on OTN, one uses(should use) his personal email id. When you say that there would be one platform , after OTN and MOS forums are merged, the issue would be for those majority of the people who have two different email id's to manage both the platforms. I am not sure how the consolidation of these two platform's login id's would be working.

Aman....
                  • 36. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
                    sonyabarry-Oracle
                    Aman,

I understand that it's two different issues, but they are closely related. There are several possible solutions here and I'm not sure which one we'll use for the profiles. Our system is set up to do one account per email address, so having personal and work accounts makes sense for a lot of people. One possibility is that we leave those two things separate and set it up in the gamification platform that users can bridge multiple accounts together themselves - so if you want to combine points together you can set up your profile to pick up both LDAP accounts, or if you want to keep them separate for each space you could do that too. The integration is going to be a major topic of conversation in our planning meetings over the next month and there are a lot of moving parts to consider.

My top two priorities are 1) keeping the community members happy and 2) making decisions that allow us future flexibility. Now that I've spent a few months digging around behind the scenes, I think the biggest overall problem with many of these programs is that different teams have used different processes and made customizations to the system that ended up being a bad idea in the long run, because those customizations have prevented us from upgrading over the years, forcing us to the point where we are now with crappy performance and the need to spend a ridiculous amount of time and money on a full content migration. So sometimes, 1) is going to suffer slightly for 2) if users lose a customization they like and are used to, but 2) can guarantee a long term better user experience because we will be in a position to do regular software upgrades and improvements over the next few years.

No matter what we choose, I know that somebody isn't going to be happy, just because everybody wants different things from the program as a whole and most people don't like dealing with change on a website. :)

Sonya
                    • 37. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
                      Billy~Verreynne
                      sonyabarry wrote:

My top two priorities are 1) keeping the community members happy and
                      So OTN is going to get a virtual coffee machine...?
                      2) making decisions that allow us future flexibility.
                      ..that can make cappuccino and long blacks in future!? Awesome! :-)
                      Now that I've spent a few months digging around behind the scenes, I think the biggest overall problem with many of these programs is that different teams have used different processes and made customizations to the system that ended up being a bad idea in the long run, because those customizations have prevented us from upgrading over the years, forcing us to the point where we are now with crappy performance and the need to spend a ridiculous amount of time and money on a full content migration.
                      A common thing in IT, sadly.
                      No matter what we choose, I know that somebody isn't going to be happy, just because everybody wants different things from the program as a whole and most people don't like dealing with change on a website. :)
                      And that is always difficult- managing user expectations.

Change is always painful. So my suggestion is to just bear it (fact: there will be lots of whinging and complaining*), and push home the changes and features - as long these are sensible robust ones that will be flexible in supporting changes and new stuff in the future.

<i>* I may resemble that too some time after the upgrade</i>
                      • 38. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
                        jgarry
                        Simply communicating all this is worth a lot.

One more small spanner into the gamy stew: some sites want to make everyone use the same MOS login so they can have everyone on a mail list follow all SR interactions.
                        • 39. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
                          Hemant K Chitale
                          Thank you for the honesty.
                          that different teams have used different processes and made customizations to the system that ended up being a bad idea in the long run
                          We occassionally see similar issues in projects we work on.
                          No matter what we choose, I know that somebody isn't going to be happy
                          You got that right. But as long as forums is a participatory democracy, the sum total of happiness is positve.

Hemant K Chitale
                          • 40. Re: Degradation of status and reduction in gained points..very critical issue..
                            jgarry
                            Participatory democracy? Out of 10000 users, only a few squeakers contribute, and it's still whatever the corp decides on. The system works pretty well for those who accept its limitations, but it's no democracy. We're just lucky they have some good people running it, who are optimistic and conscious of the social aspects.
                            1 2 3 Previous Next