14 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2013 6:33 AM by EdStevens RSS

changing the log_archive_config parameter?

Hi, I have a 2 node rac cluster running on linux Itanium and we currently have one physical standby server configured and we did not use the data guard broker. I want to stop sending redo data to the standby and I am a little confused with some of the documentation that I am reading? The parameter log_archive_config says it is dynamic so I was under the impression that I could make this change while the dabase is online but some of the documentation that I was reading regarding standby configurations said that you should bring both instances down when changing this?
      I want to set log_archive_config= nodg_config.
      Apologies for the simple question and I know your probably asking why don't you try this on your test system. Well unfortunately we dont have the resources for the standby on our test env right now... Lucky me...
      Thanks to anyone that has any input on the matter.
        • 1. Re: changing the log_archive_config parameter?
          OrionNet
          Hello,

You want to stop sending logs to the standby , is that right or there is more to it?
           Alter system set LOG_ARCHIVE_CONFIG='' scope = both sid='*';

ALTER SYSTEM SET LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_STATE_2=DEFER
          Regrds

Edited by: OrionNet on Feb 24, 2009 4:50 PM
          • 2. Re: changing the log_archive_config parameter?
            Well yes there is more to it I actually want to completely remove the standby server so that I can reuse the hardware. So as far as I can tell I just have to change 2 parameters...
            log_archive_config and log_archive_dest_2 which is the log_dest that is using the service name for the standby server.
            Thanks for your reply.
            • 3. Re: changing the log_archive_config parameter?
              OrionNet
              Hello,

Yes just 2 parameter and you are good to go, hope this helps
               Alter system set LOG_ARCHIVE_CONFIG='' scope = both sid='*';

ALTER SYSTEM SET LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_STATE_2=DEFER;

Also check following view to confirm

select * from v$archive_dest_status;
              Regards
              • 4. Re: changing the log_archive_config parameter?
                Thanks so much for your reply I really appreciate it. I guess just one follow up if I may? How come I want to set the log_archive_dest_2=defer instead of just making the parameter a null value? Just curious?
                • 5. Re: changing the log_archive_config parameter?
                  Anand...
                  Hi...
                  How come I want to set the log_archive_dest_2=defer instead of just making the parameter a null value? Just curious?
                  Firstly, the parameter that is * log_archive_dest_state_2* not * log_archive_dest_2*

Secondly, log_archive_dest_state_2 :- Specifies the state of the destination specified by the LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n parameter.

Possible attributes are:

* ENABLE specifies that a valid log archive destination can be used for a subsequent archiving operation (automatic or manual). This is the default.
                  * DEFER specifies that valid destination information and attributes are preserved, but the destination is excluded from archiving operations until you reenable archiving with the ENABLE option.
                  * ALTERNATE specifies that the destination is not enabled, but will become enabled if communication to another destination fails.
                  * RESET functions the same as DEFER, but clears any error messages for the destination if it had previously failed.

HTH
                  Anand
                  • 6. Re: changing the log_archive_config parameter?
                    OrionNet
                    Hello,

As Anand mentioned in his post for possible values for the parameter. If you are running data guard broker, then set db_broker_start=false as well. And you should be good to go taking your standby down for anything you want do with it.

Also if you think any of the post helped you mark them as helpful or answered for other benefits.

Regards
                    • 7. Re: changing the log_archive_config parameter?
                      HI, I keep geting the following when trying to change the log_archive_config parameter?
                      SQL> alter system set log_archive_config='' scope=both sid='*';
                      alter system set log_archive_config='' scope=both sid='*'
                      ERROR at line 1:
                      ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

I have also tried setting it to nodg_config as follows but still I get the same error?
                      SQL> alter system set log_archive_config=NODG_CONFIG scope=both sid='*';
                      alter system set log_archive_config=NODG_CONFIG scope=both sid='*'
                      ERROR at line 1:
                      ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

I was able to set the log_archive_dest_state_2 parameter to defer ok but having issues when attempting to change log_archive_config?
                      Any help is greatly appreciated.
                      Thanks.
                      • 8. Re: changing the log_archive_config parameter?
                        OrionNet
                        Hello,

Is your isntance up and running? check alert.log file and make sure its up and running? Also what is the status under this view

On Primary.
                         select * from v$archive_dest_status;
                        I think you are good to go but just confirm errors in alert.log file and the above view.

Regrds
                        • 9. Re: changing the log_archive_config parameter?
                          Thanks for replying...the v$archive_dest_status view shows that log_archive_dest_2 is deffered...
                          I am seeing the following in the alert log on both nodes of my cluster...
                          Trace dumping is performing id=[cdmp_20090225141503]
                          Wed Feb 25 14:15:37 2009
                          Errors in file /orahomes/admin/RCIDB/bdump/rcidb2_diag_8817.trc:
                          ORA-27050: function called with invalid FIB/IOV structure
                          Additional information: 2
                          ORA-27077: too many files open
                          Wed Feb 25 14:15:37 2009
                          Errors in file /orahomes/admin/RCIDB/bdump/rcidb2_diag_8817.trc:
                          ORA-27050: function called with invalid FIB/IOV structure
                          Additional information: 2
                          ORA-27077: too many files open

These messgaes in the alrt log all started happening when I ran the alter system commands to try and change the log_archive_config parameter? Does the standby instance need to be shutdown befoe I change this parameter on the primary? Because thew standby was up and running in recover mode?
                          Thanks.
                          • 10. Re: changing the log_archive_config parameter?
                            OrionNet
                            Hello,

Shutdown your standby instance and if possible stop and start both nodes isntance one by one. If the error presists then you might be hitting a bug and then you should contact oracle support. Verify errors in additional trace files as well.

Regards
                            • 11. Re: changing the log_archive_config parameter?
                              I have shutdown the standby instance and tried to set the parameter but still I am getting the same errors? Unfortunately I cannot stop and restart the instances as this is a live production cluster and I believe this is a bug on the linux Itanium platform so I have opened up a tar with oracle support.
                              Thanks for your replies.
                              • 12. Re: changing the log_archive_config parameter?
                                OrionNet
                                No problem, Make sure you save all the trc file for oracle support. If any of the post were helpful mark them helpful and rewards points.

Regards
                                • 13. Re: changing the log_archive_config parameter?
                                  I am sorry for interrupting ,but I have the same problem and i need to ask about the parameter DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT , If i did your steps do i need to modify the parameter DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT? if so how to do that please.
                                  • 14. Re: changing the log_archive_config parameter?
                                    EdStevens
                                    NABIL ALmsilati wrote:
                                    I am sorry for interrupting ,but I have the same problem and i need to ask about the parameter DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT , If i did your steps do i need to modify the parameter DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT? if so how to do that please.
                                    you are not 'interrupting' anything, but did you notice you just revived a 4+ year old thread.

It's always best to start your own thread to discuss your own specifics.