This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2013 6:20 AM by jiri.machotka RSS

Defining metadata at the folder level.

btchncamaro Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We are migrating from Content DB to Webcenter Content 11.1.1.7, using FrameworkFolders.

Our old Content Management solution (Content DB), allowed us to define metadata on a folder level. For example a group of metadata (a category in Content DB) could be defined and applied to a specific folder. When documents are uploaded, the server enforces the metadata to be populated for all documents uploaded to that folder and all child folders.

Webcenter Content seems to behave quite differently. From what I can tell, this is set up in the "Configuration Manager" Admin applet. Metadata fields are defined in the "Information Fields" tab. Sets of fields are defined as a "Rule". Roles are enforced on uploaded content through "Profiles". A given profile is enforced by the user of a "Trigger". The trigger is specified to look at a specific field, which is global to everything on the server. This is all documented here: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23943_01/doc.1111/e10978/c04_metadata.htm#DAFJDCEH

Having the trigger field be global seems to be very restrictive. We will have several different systems storing content on the server. Isn't this a big limitation of the product?

How can create a rule to enforce metadata to be populated for all content that is uploaded to a folder?

Thanks!
  • 1. Re: Defining metadata at the folder level.
    Srinath Menon Guru
    Hi ,

Metadata that are applied to a folder can be set to propagate to any sub-folders / contents in that . This is provided by the functionality of Metadata Propagation . This can be controlled by checking the option while creating a folder - Additional Options .

When propagation is set (which is by default) then any set of metadata that is set on folders can be enabled to be propagated to contents that will be ingested to these .

Control is provided to each of the metadata for this purpose .

More details are provided here : http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E28280_01/doc.1111/e26693/ucm_organize_content.htm#CIAGDGEF

Section 6.1.1.6 Folders Metadata

Hope this helps .

Thanks,
    Srinath
  • 2. Re: Defining metadata at the folder level.
    666879 Newbie
    this is very helpful. my question is how do you create a set of meta data (aka category in Content DB 10g) and assign that set a folder?
  • 3. Re: Defining metadata at the folder level.
    jiri.machotka Guru
    I'd say the answer is: create a folder and assign it a set of metadata (and inherit, if you will).

I don't think WebCenter Content, or UCM, has a concept equal to the mentioned category as described; i.e. an object that represents a metadata settings that can be assigned to 'something'. There are, however, many concepts that are close:

- rules/profiles mentioned in the initial posts - a profile (consisting of rules) may correlate to a "content type". It defines what fields make sense for this particular content item, what is required, default, etc. (relationship between fields). The caveat is that profiles define actually just how content items behave in the GUI; (global) rules can enhance also back-end processing (e.g. fill in an automated contentID identifier, if missing), but in reality they don't define data model
    - folders - folders help to define hierarchy on items. As Srinath explained, we can also benefit from propagation of metadata, or inheritance. This is probably the closest concept to the Content DB category, but the holder is not the category, but the folder itself. Keep also in mind that folder is an optional parameter, and metadata inherited from a folder can be overriden for both items and folders
    - in URM, where the categorization is more strict is another hierarchical structure; retention category (which can be assigned other settings, esp. disposition rules, and which can contain retention folders)
    - yet, another concept that might be useful in some use cases are folios; a folio is an item (XML-file) that has its own metadata, and can reference other content items. However, operations on a folio item OOTB does not affect contained content items, and a content item can be referenced by several folios.

Finally, if no standard concept helps, you may always create your own customization via filters. A filter is a Java piece of code, which can be "hooked" to standard events (like "uploading a file", or check-in as it is called in UCM) and which can do whatever validation you like. For instance, I created a component which checks that an assigned quota on a folder to which an item is uploaded is not exceeded.

I assume that for your use case, you might be good to go with a combination of folders and profiles (a profile setting can also be assigned to a folder as default metadata). Let us know if you get stuck.
  • 4. Re: Defining metadata at the folder level.
    666879 Newbie
    so how do you assign a profile to a folder?
  • 5. Re: Defining metadata at the folder level.
    btchncamaro Newbie
    The link referenced above (http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E28280_01/doc.1111/e26693/ucm_organize_content.htm#CIAGDGEF) states the following:

"Folders can be configured to enforce metadata rules on their content items"

This is exactly what I want to do. Unfortunantely, the remainder of the section doesn't tell you how to accomplish this. It seems like a simple function that many people would want to apply. This has to be a really basic thing to do in a Content Management solution. Does anybody know how to do it?

Thanks!
  • 6. Re: Defining metadata at the folder level.
    666879 Newbie
    is there a webcenter version of Frank Nimphius here? what are some good forums for webcenter?
  • 7. Re: Defining metadata at the folder level.
    jiri.machotka Guru
    so how do you assign a profile to a folder?
    With Profiles, there is always one metadata field selected as a "profile trigger". Often, this is a special field (like a custom metadata field called "ProfileTrigger"), whose values are defined in a custom table/view.
    When you assign a value of this profile trigger field, you have effectively selected a profile.
    what are some good forums for webcenter?
    It feels like you don't like this one ;-)

Well, another good one I am aware of is here: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/intradoc_users/
    Folders can be configured to enforce metadata rules on their content items
    I believe this refers to the Force Propagation setting mentioned below. Myself, I'd probably use a softer verb than "enforce".
  • 8. Re: Defining metadata at the folder level.
    btchncamaro Newbie
    Thank you for the information! It is very helpful (although not exactly what I wanted to hear). It sounds like the functionality I want is possible, assuming the following is possible:

Is it possible to set a default value on a field (the trigger field) on all content that is uploaded to a folder? This will need to apply to content uploaded to subfolders as well. The default value must be set when content is initially uploaded, so a profile trigger can be used to force the uploader to set the required metadata fields defined by the profile's rules.
  • 9. Re: Defining metadata at the folder level.
    jiri.machotka Guru
    Is it possible to set a default value on a field (the trigger field) on all content that is uploaded to a folder?
    Yes, it is. However, there are few limitations you should be aware of:
    - there is an option to Inhibit Propagation
    - with some operations like moving a folder to another destination, Propagation might not be applied (I don't know that out of my head, but it's quite easy to verify)

If you want to be absolutely sure (perform a validation rather than metadata propagation), you might have to go with rules or even customizations. Take a look at this post, which discusses the question in details: Metadata Validation

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points