4 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2013 3:29 PM by 932976 RSS

Missing Templates for Standalone Oracle Database

According to this link: [Templates Overview|http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/vm/overview/templates-101937.html]
      and this link: [Database Template|http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/vm/database-092479.html] ...
      There should be a template for a standalone (non-RAC) database.
      But when you go to eDelivery there is no such template.

Why does Oracle not provide a template for the standalone database ???
        • 1. Re: Missing Templates for Standalone Oracle Database
          Emyl
          You can use the templates for Oracle Enterprise Linux.

According to Readme:

"The oracle-rdbms-server-11gR2-preinstall package is installed in the templates
          before the Oracle Linux 6 Update 4 templates. This package installs software
          packages and sets system parameters that are required for Oracle single instance
          and Real Application Cluster install for Oracle Linux Release 6.
          This package creates the 'oracle' user, with an initial login group of 'oinstall',
          a supplementary group of 'dba', and a home directory of /home/oracle. The
          Oracle-validated package disables logins by the user 'oracle', and the password is
          locked for the 'oracle' user by default. To enable the 'oracle' user account, log in
          as the 'root' user to the guest virtual machine after it is booted."

If you choose to use OEL 6 Update 4 you can install the package using the package manager.
          • 2. Re: Missing Templates for Standalone Oracle Database
            Abhijit
            You are right. There is no VM template for just the database. I got in touch with an SE and he is asking me to use the RAC template (which i see for download), but then even with RAC1 there will be license implications. I swear there i saw one vm template before (just for the database).
            • 3. Re: Missing Templates for Standalone Oracle Database
              Abhijit
              More update from Oracle pre-sales : The database template was removed. I was asked to check with Oracle OVM team. I am in the process of getting a new CSI and will open a support case for inquiry.
              • 4. Re: Missing Templates for Standalone Oracle Database
                I can't imagine why there wouldn't be a template for the standalone database. If the template is not provided then Oracle should stop advertising that it's available on the aforementioned pages.