This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: May 24, 2013 5:07 AM by matt_atk RSS

Changes not showing on page - Caching of pages?

matt_atk Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I'm on Apex 4.2 and Oracle XE 11g and I was wondeing if there was any caching going on of the structure of the page.

I make changes to the structure of a page (adding a region, moving a region up or down), save my changes and then when i run the page i don't see the changes I've made. Caching is set to no both at the page level and region level, and i've also checked I'm actually editing the correct page (you never know :) °,

any ideas?

thanks, Matt
  • 1. Re: Changes not showing on page - Caching of pages?
    Howard (... in Training) Pro
    I know some affects like pagination do not change immediately when one applies changes to interactive(?) reports. Hmm. These are done in Ajax -- I wonder if that has something to do with it. But I do not recall having added, changed or deleted any items or regions that were not immediately changed when I ran the page.

How often and in what context/situation(s) does this happen?

1) Happens with just one specific APEX application or several different applications?
    2) How often? Once in every 3, 5, or ?? changes?
    3) When do you see the change effected? After a couple minutes? After stopping and restarting that specific APEX application? After logging out and logigng back into APEX? ....
    4) Any other clues as to when this happens or never happens or what you do to get the change recognized/applied?

Thanks,
    Howard
  • 2. Re: Changes not showing on page - Caching of pages?
    matt_atk Newbie
    Hi Howard,

i'm currently working with the packaged application "Customer Tracking", customizing it to meet my needs, mainly page 50, the customer page. It happens every time i add or move a region, deleting one is very quick though. Logging out, swapping browsers does not help, but if I wait a couple of hours the change appears. The more i bang my head against the wall with this, the more i think it's me missing a check box somewhere, i've been through all the pages looking for cached radio buttons, but it seems odd that changes take so long to appear when i'm the only one on the application.

thanks, matt
  • 3. Re: Changes not showing on page - Caching of pages?
    matt_atk Newbie
    A very simple example : I've changed the image logo on the application, applied the change and when i login to the app, in the top left corner I still see the old logo, I hit F5, Ctrl F5, change browser etc... nothing works, i still get the logo (same test with replacing the image by some text, same result)
  • 4. Re: Changes not showing on page - Caching of pages?
    Have you done the ultimate test -- the Bill Gates manuever? REBOOT?
  • 5. Re: Changes not showing on page - Caching of pages?
    matt_atk Newbie
    ha ha funny you should mention that, i just did 5 min ago, bounced everything : database, db server, my pc... this is my second test with Apex, first time was on a Enterprise Edition database, but now it's on a XE edition, could that be the source of my problems?
  • 6. Re: Changes not showing on page - Caching of pages?
    I was hoping you were on a PC connected to a host DB with APEX and not in a situation with the DB hosted on the same machine. I wanted to isolate possible caching on the PC separate from any DB caching/latent effects.

I installed Customer Tracking in my apex.oracle.com WS. When I moved (page 50) Products from below to above Contacts in the container, it actually appeared at the bottom of the list of subregions. And when I moved Contacts back ahead of Products, then they were both at the bottom of the list. Go figure!

Howard
  • 7. Re: Changes not showing on page - Caching of pages?
    matt_atk Newbie
    I am on two machines, my PC with the browser and then a VM on an ESX server with the db. I don't have a clue what is going on... I'll reinstall APEX on a new db, and see what happens....

thanks for your help!
  • 8. Re: Changes not showing on page - Caching of pages?
    Let's check what we know again. You said:
    I'm currently working with the packaged application "Customer Tracking", customizing it to meet my needs, mainly page 50, the customer page.
    1) [I'm trying to figure out if this is a page 50 ONLY problem.] So, is the problem only on page 50 or mostly on page 50 because that's the one you are modifying most?
    2) [Is it just a problem with this copy of page 50?] If you copy page 50 to page 500, do you see identical effects for identical changes on page 500? Or similar, but not identical effects?
    3) [Is it just this instance of Customer Tracking?] Could you install a second copy and make a few identical edits to see if the result is an identical problem?
    It happens every time i add or move a region, deleting one is very quick though. Logging out, swapping browsers does not help, but if I wait a couple of hours the change appears. The more i bang my head against the wall with this, the more i think it's me missing a check box somewhere, i've been through all the pages looking for cached radio buttons, but it seems odd that changes take so long to appear when i'm the only one on the application.
    The APEX meta data and attributes are stored in Oracle tables. Some things -- for example, pagaination -- persist but not much AFAIK. Any delay would mean meta data writes and/or reads to the DB are being cached. That seems unlikely.

Howard
  • 9. Re: Changes not showing on page - Caching of pages?
    matt_atk Newbie
    I have no idea what was going on, but I've created a new database, re-installed APEX and now the changes are immediate (works for a logo change, a region change etc). The only difference is that this new db is on a standard edition, whereas the other one was a XE...
  • 10. Re: Changes not showing on page - Caching of pages?
    Sometimes it's sufficient if the problem goes away.
    Does that get what you need or do you need to try a new install on XE?

Howard
  • 11. Re: Changes not showing on page - Caching of pages?
    matt_atk Newbie
    I have space in this database so i might just stick with it. I went with XE to have a free hand licence wise so I could show off to management about how good the product can be without spending any cash, but since the database was already there, i'm happy with it.

thanks for your help Howard!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points