3 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2013 6:28 AM by MikeW RSS

Oracle VM manager 3.2.2 and local disk repository setup

shadow
      Environment:

Server HP DL560 Gen8
      5 disks:
      -     2 disks in Raid 1 configuration
      -     3 disks in Raid 5 configuration
      On the first 2 disks I have installed Oracle VM server 3.2.2 and the 3 remaining disks were left raw without any partition or filesystem
      Oracle VM manager 3.2.2 was installed on a separate Linux 6.2 machine and was started successfully.

Problem:
      Problem is that I am not able to see the local disks (3 disks left raw) to create a repository but I am able to see the VM server and create the server pool.

Can you please let me know what I am doing wrong or not doing? Note that on the VM server machine when running fdisk –l, I can see both devices /dev/sda (2 disks in RAID1) and /dev/sdb (3 disks in RAID5) where /dev/sdb has no partitions.

Your support is highly appreciated.

Thx
        • 1. Re: Oracle VM manager 3.2.2 and local disk repository setup
          MikeW
          How are you trying to configure that storage as a repository? If I understand your environment correctly you need to go through the local storage configuration steps. I believe the help guide has a decent walk through of the steps.

Please list what exact steps you have done and at what point you think it is failing.

Edited by: Mike W on May 22, 2013 2:31 AM
          • 2. Re: Oracle VM manager 3.2.2 and local disk repository setup
            shadow
            Hi Mike

Based on the local storage setup guide, you don't need to configure a storage. You need to setup the repository directly by selecting physical disk and move forward with the steps. However when i get to the part where i want to select my disk (in this case /dev/sdb) i don't get anything in the window. It shows an emptry combo list for both SAN and volume group.

Please advise.

PS: the document I am using is http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26996_01/E18549/html/CHDCBBII.html (step 7)

Thx,
            Elie
            • 3. Re: Oracle VM manager 3.2.2 and local disk repository setup
              MikeW
              That looks like a 3.0.3 document and the steps do not look like what I remember on 3.2.1. 3.1 improves on 3.0 and there are changes in 3.2...

Please open the help on your 3.2.2 OVS Manager server and walk through the steps/tutorial that it has. That is what I did and it worked for me.

It is fairly confusing as the steps are very different for Local vs SAN vs NFS vs iSCSI. I would search for local storage and focus on those links.

If you hit a step that looks like it isn't working, please paste the help topic name into this thread and the url from your OVM Manager help system and I will try to replicate on 3.2.1.

I have to travel between offices multiple times today and have deadlines so will be off line much of the day.