4 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2013 8:57 AM by Catch-22 RSS

OEL 5.9: Effect of removing net-snmp to kernal

Hi,

I have situation where i have to install custom rpms for net-snmp.

What will happen or what ll be the effect of removing the net-snmp,net-snmp-utils and net-snmp-perl rpms from the system forcefully?

I see a dependency to oracle-linux kernal rpms.

Please help me in this regards

Thanks in advance
      Kushal
        • 1. Re: OEL 5.9: Effect of removing net-snmp to kernal
          Tommyreynolds-Oracle
          I have situation where i have to install custom rpms for net-snmp.
          Why? How are the distribution RPM packages deficient?
          What will happen or what ll be the effect of removing the net-snmp,net-snmp-utils and net-snmp-perl rpms from the system forcefully?
          I see a dependency to oracle-linux kernal rpms.
          The oracle-linux RPM lists these as requirements; that is not the kernel. So, whatever you do with the net utils, you won't hurt the kernel; you may just disable your SNMP support.

Any approach that mentions "--force" is automatically suspect. You can only use the "--force" switch once in your career; are you sure this is the time? :)

So if you want to use your own RPM packages they should have higher revision number than your currently-installed packages, so they should just update normally.

What am I missing?
          • 2. Re: OEL 5.9: Effect of removing net-snmp to kernal
            Catch-22
            Assuming that the dependency is there for a reason you will break system integrity regardless of possible affects or consequences.

For what it's worth:
            # find /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/ -name *snmp*
            /lib/modules/2.6.39-300.26.1.el5uek/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/nf_nat_snmp_basic.ko
            /lib/modules/2.6.39-300.26.1.el5uek/kernel/net/netfilter/nf_conntrack_snmp.ko
            I'd rather try to find out why the existing snmp software need to be replaced or whether you just need to update some configuration. What is the complete story?
            • 3. Re: OEL 5.9: Effect of removing net-snmp to kernal
              Since the custom package has a different name, it is not able to update it normally. Instead it is give file file conflicts between them.

rpm name is like <company_name>-net-snmp.

Edited by: 1007554 on May 23, 2013 5:14 AM
              • 4. Re: OEL 5.9: Effect of removing net-snmp to kernal
                Catch-22
                The net-snmp package contains the snmp init daemon and other related files. I would not replace a standard package with some alien software. You cannot predict the effect. SNMP was known in the past for security issues too.

You could try to extract and compare your package to find out what is different:
                wget http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL5/latest/x86_64/net-snmp-5.3.2.2-20.0.2.el5.x86_64.rpm
                rpm2cpio net-snmp-5.3.2.2-20.0.2.el5.x86_64.rpm | cpio -idmv