This discussion is archived
1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2013 2:18 PM by bigdelboy Go to original post RSS
  • 30. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    bigdelboy Pro
    Currently Being Moderated
    ow001681 wrote:
    I believe the purpose of this forum is to exchange technical information, and we don't seem to be doing that at this point.

Good luck with your work, I wish you the best.

Edited by: ow001681 on May 18, 2013 9:22 AM
    A couple of my viewpoints:
    * As I have said before, IMHO Steve book is a good book:
    --- It helped me prepare for the certification exam.
    --- I can now write better SQL as a result of that study.
    --- On at least one occasion couple of occasion's I've actually used the book to look to solve a commerical issue ( oh yes I remember this was part of the certification exam and it was in Steve's book .... )

* I was really sorry Steve's earlier threads went the way they did. I really hated calling a moderator in, but letting the posts stand would have been a bad precedent.
    * I did ask for one to be left ... the moderator however took the view all should go. ( I will support this moderator 110% in his decision ... it was not totally unreasonable to delete all the threads, especially as he does an excellent job spam removing on this and other forums).
    * I did send Steve an email about this at the time .... but have just realised I had posted in the wrong URL. ... which would have been confusing!
    * I was aware however of the value of Steve's posts to the forum, which is why I posted the links.

* The UserID number of account relationship is perhaps of interest. I am convinced previously the date / sequence related to an OTN registration date. However more recently it might relate to first post. It may be the was the threads were removed caused the forum UserID number to be removed, and a new UserID created and dated when the forum was used again. I am only trying to interpolate the information here .... the Jives forum software can be a law unto itself.

* I'm not really sure how the exchange between Matthew and Steve seemed to escalate. You're both on the same side helping the world write better SQL!!! (And avoiding braindumps!). Thankyou both.
    * And I think Matthew was only trying to explain the forum moderators viewpoint.
    .... And Matthew's reference page for 1z0-047 info ( http://www.oraclecertificationprep.com/apex/f?p=OCPSG:EXAM_DETAILS:0::NO::P2_EXAM:1Z0-047 ) has mentioned Steve's book for months!!!

On a lighter note .....

=====================================================
    ANYWAY THE MOST VITAL FOR STEVE IS ... HAS ANYONE WON THE $10 ON P.332 ????
    The second question is, why for an OCE exam does the book title stress OCA ???????
  • 31. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    ow001681 Newbie
    bigdelboy - Thank you for your post!
    I was really sorry Steve's earlier threads went the way they did.
    You're talking about the forum's deletion of my six posts I made months ago containing links to my Oracle Press book scripts? No worries, it's ancient history now. I can tell by the script download records that word got out through other avenues and the scripts are being distributed, so - mission accomplished.
    I'm not really sure how the exchange between Matthew and Steve seemed to escalate.
    Please note - I did not criticize Matthew. I was just puzzled at the nature of his comments and asked him why he was scrutinizing me so closely on issues unrelated to the point of the forum. But that aside, he appears to be an asset here and seems to contribute to the forum. That's my perception, and if that is in fact the case, the forum is a better place because of his involvement.

And bigdelboy, given the big picture I don't fault you for having reported my months-old script posts to the forum moderators as a potential problem. As I said earlier, I appreciate your having reposted the link, thank you.
    On a lighter note .....
    YES! Regarding the Cartesian Product Challenge, I announced a winner at Oracle Open World last year:

http://blog.corbinian.com/node/72

!!!

I confess I have yet to send her the $10, but I promise to do so soon! AND ... there's much more in the works on that topic. Stay tuned ...

:)

- Steve
  • 32. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    bigdelboy Pro
    Yes, thanks Steve for your comments, Matthew is certainly an asset to the community and is building up a great set of links to quality third party resources including in addition to his own works. I'll buy you both a virtual beer if you meet up sometime ;-)

Thanks for the link to that about the cartesian product. I personally found it interesting, and glad to be of assistance to someone getting their rightful $10! ;-)
  • 33. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    matthew_morris Expert
    Please note - I did not criticize Matthew. I was just puzzled at the nature of his comments and
    asked him why he was scrutinizing me so closely on issues unrelated to the point of the forum.
    Steve:

I'm going to make one last attempt and then I give up. I was not fighting with you. I was not criticizing you. I never called your posts spam.

In your first post of this thread, you seemed puzzled why the moderators would have deleted your threads. I recalled the incident. You wonder why? I recalled them because I have a very good memory. It was also an unusual incident and we get very few posts in here by Oracle Press authors. John Watson posted in the Certification forum a few months back. I remember his post too. He was asking for statistics on how many OCMs currently exist. I told him that the forum moderator had already answered a similar question several months prior stating that it is against Oracle policy to break the numbers down below a single 'total' number of Oracle Certified professionals. I'll note that I answered his question from memory and I am putting this information in from memory as well. That said, I forget to take out the garbage about one time in three and my record on remembering my wedding anniversary is abysmal.

Because you did not understand why the posts were deleted, I tried to explain why they were deleted. I pointed out that they fit the fingerprint of spam. That is to say, they were several identical posts in threads spanning a wide date range by a 'New to the OTN forum' account. When you said the account wasn't new, I tried to explain why -- at least to the OTN forums, it appears that way -- both to me and to the mods. You did not do so deliberately or maliciously, but you did break the rules by making those posts in that fashion.

Why did I bother answering a non-technical issue? Non-technical or not, it was related to the forums. If you don't understand why the mods deleted your threads, you are liable to run afoul of the rules again. Part of the role of people who answer technical issues on the forums includes helping newcomers understand them.

Whatever your feelings after this post, I am done with this.
  • 34. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    ow001681 Newbie
    Regarding the matthew_morris post on Aug 8, 2012 11:23 AM:

Yes - my book states on page 296 that GROUP BY and HAVING can appear in either order. Good to know yours does as well. And good job pointing out that this is a little known fact that is a classic example of a question on the exam. In my experience, it's good logical form to place HAVING after GROUP BY for readability, but the exam is intended to test all aspects of SQL.

Incidentally - congratulations on your book series, it appears to be quite a set of material.

- Steve

Edited by: ow001681 on May 23, 2013 11:01 AM

Edited by: ow001681 on May 23, 2013 11:11 AM

Edited by: ow001681 on May 23, 2013 11:14 AM
  • 35. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    ow001681 Newbie
    Regarding bigdelboy's post of Jul 29, 2012 4:06 AM

Thank you again for reposting the link to the script download. I just noticed this comment of yours in that post:

My understanding is download is free to book owners, but obviously the process may also be used to offer you services.

Let me state for the record - the only reason I set up the script download to require an email address was to simply attempt to limit the distribution to bonafide book owners (you have to enter a couple of words taken from specific locations in the printed book to get past the download screen). That's all.

To my best recollection, I don't believe I've contacted anyone who provided their email address for the download, other than perhaps to make sure they received the download, but I don't recall ever having done that either, I think the script has been executing fine.

And I guarantee I've never even thought about selling anything to those folks, nor tried, nor provided those addresses to anyone other than myself, nor even thought about it.

I don't intend to, either. Like I said, it's just to control distribution to true book owners, that's all.

it's a good issue to wonder about that, glad you mentioned it so I could address that concern. Like I said, it didn't even cross my mind, and I wouldn't do it.

- Steve

Edited by: ow001681 on May 23, 2013 11:11 AM
  • 36. Re: Im planning to take 1z0-047.. started preparing with steven O book... can a
    bigdelboy Pro

Thank you again for reposting the link to the script download. I just noticed this comment of yours in that post:

My understanding is download is free to book owners, but obviously the process may also be used to offer you services.

My perception at the time I made that post was that I was drilling down link(s) in http://blog.corbinian.com/ and getting redirects into http://www.corbinian.com

I feel I must have felt I. navigated on point in the site that gave me cause to store a memory of that impression.

A couple of clicks round the blogs site at the moment doesn't give me that impression.

IMHO All options are possible, I might have been mistaken, the site might have changed, he blogs section may have expanded, I might not have gone down the link that gave me that impression.

I suppose I am very cautious about linking to non oracle.com websites from the certification forum.

I have various impressions, I have he the impression an oracle database control file needs to be rebuilt before maxdatafiles can be exceeded. Perhaps.

On a lighter aside I was thinking of you at 2am his morning. I suddenly had an immense desire to do a (simple) rollup. But couldn't remember the syntax. .. and too exhausted to google it and decided I could add 4 numbers quicker) ... that bad.

( I think i wanted to try something simples like select username,count(*) from V$session group by rollup (username) ) or see ref: ( {message:id=10185290} ).
1 2 3 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points