5 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2013 1:42 PM by Abhijit RSS

LiveMigration Network Separation

Abhijit
      Objective : Separate LiveMigration Network

By default LiveMigration, ServerManagement, ClusterHearbeat are in the same bond0 interface. There is the option to configure the hypervisors to a VLAN than a physical interface, thereby leaving the management VLAN untagged. That will enable to present other VLANs (if we want to separate LiveMigration or Cluster HeartBeat) to that same bond0 interface.

A little detail here : http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/servers-storage-admin/networking-ovm-x86-1873548.html (refer Fig 5 - 7)

Scroll down to Figure 5. That is the exact setup I am trying to achieve. But, what is contradicting is (from Fig 7), why the bond interfaces for the VLAN have an IP ? in OVMM manager you can only set IP for the bond interface when they are untagged. When tagged it creates the segment and carries VLAN information, in my case the new VLAN will carry LiveMigration information. So, do I need to manually assign IP addresses for those interfaces on each hypervisor ? {which is not recommended to do than OVM Manager}

So, how do i achieve my Objective. And, does LiveMigration only work over IP address (and they need to be configured).
        • 1. Re: LiveMigration Network Separation
          user11391721
          I am interested in this also as I would like to utilize VLANs as represented in the article.
          • 2. Re: LiveMigration Network Separation
            user12273962
            I am little confused about what you actually want to do.

In the figures reference there is just a single bond. That bond is bond0. This bond is made up of 2 nics. Eth0 and Eth1. This illustration only references a instance in which you only have 2 nics.

Do you have more than 2 nics? If so, I personally would not do this. I would dedicate a single nic to live migration. I would do the same with the cluster heartbeat. This would require at least 3 nics. For my VM guest/storage I would dedicate another nic. This would require 4 nics.

The references provided only deal with a server that has 2 nics. They created a single bond and then used VLANs to create segments or unique broadcasts domains. Subneting/VLAM your individual nics will do the same thing if you have more than 2 nics.

Yes, you will need to assign IP addresses on each VM server for each segment you create. What good is a VLAN segment without a target IP?
            • 3. Re: LiveMigration Network Separation
              Abhijit
              >

I have 8 Virtual NICs (from Flex10 switch). Other NICs are used [for example bond2 = eth2 + eth3, bond3 = eth4 + eth5, bond4 = eth6 + eth7]. All these 3 bonds will be used for different application networks
              Do you have more than 2 nics? If so, I personally would not do this. I would dedicate a single nic to live migration. I would do the same with the cluster heartbeat. This would require at least 3 nics. For my VM guest/storage I would dedicate another nic. This would require 4 nics.
              I understand the article refers to a server with 2 NICs. But that is just a reference. The person who wrote the article created the first bond, bond0 and did show another figure where IP addresses were assigned to the tagged VLAN on the same bond. That option i cant find in OVMM
              The references provided only deal with a server that has 2 nics. They created a single bond and then used VLANs to create segments or unique broadcasts domains. Subneting/VLAM your individual nics will do the same thing if you have more than 2 nics.
              Depends on implementation (where you are managing the L3 functionality). In my environment I dont need to assign IP address to VLAN segment(s) (irresepective of VLAN group or creating a simple 1:1 Network). It will be like a Layer2 VLAN on they hypervisor. As long as the bond interface carries the tag information for all the VLANs in question, IP address is not required for VMs to operate. Basically, your vm's have an IP address and your gateway is on the next hop (switch or firewall or router). I do have hybrid application environments working like this {except livemigration is on the same net/bond as the mgmt , which i want to separate now}
              Yes, you will need to assign IP addresses on each VM server for each segment you create. What good is a VLAN segment without a target IP?
              Edited by: Abhijit on May 22, 2013 8:33 AM
              • 4. Re: LiveMigration Network Separation
                user12273962
                *Depends on implementation (where you are managing the L3 functionality). In my environment I dont need to assign IP address to VLAN segment(s) (irresepective of VLAN group or creating a simple 1:1 Network). It will be like a Layer2 VLAN on they hypervisor. As long as the bond interface carries the tag information for all the VLANs in question, IP address is not required for VMs to operate. Basically, your vm's have an IP address and your gateway is on the next hop (switch or firewall or router). I do have hybrid application environments working like this {except livemigration is on the same net/bond as the mgmt , which i want to separate now}*

I'm not going to get into a intellectual battle over how VLANS work. Needless to say you have to have an protocol even in layer 2. IP... requires IP addresses to have an accurate delivery system. It has nothing to do with layer 3.

How it works out for you.
                • 5. Re: LiveMigration Network Separation
                  Abhijit
                  I dont have to either get into a battle as to who is right and who is wrong. As i said, there are multiple ways of implementation and what i am doing here doesnt need an IP address. This is not restricted to just the hypervisors. I dont understand your logic of requiring an IP address for accurate delivery system... But as in the industry, what 1 person thinks is right, other guy thinks it is wrong and flawed, :ROFL

Anyways my problem is resolved. In this case, i just need to re-edit the VLAN in quesiton and go through the options and click on Vlan Interfaces and assign the IP.

>
                  I'm not going to get into a intellectual battle over how VLANS work. Needless to say you have to have an protocol even in layer 2. IP... requires IP addresses to have an accurate delivery system. It has nothing to do with layer 3.

How it works out for you.