4 Replies Latest reply: May 24, 2013 11:15 AM by Steve H -Oracle RSS

IPMP configuration not permenent

HEBA2008
      Hello

I've configured two interfaces to be in an IPMP group and failover to each other incase of failure, when I test it , it's fine.

+/etc/hostname.bge0+
      bscs-bl netmask broadcast + \+
      group production up \
      addif bscs-bl-net0 deprecated netmask brodcast + -failover up+
      +::::::::::::::+
      +/etc/hostname.nxge0+
      bscs-bl-net1 netmask broadcast + group production deprecated up+

the issue is when I reboot the system the first interface shows like it's not configured the bge0 IP is displayed as 0.0.0.0.
      I suspected that the files content is not correct , but when I try the same in a shell command , the bge0 became configured in the ifconfig -a

thanks for your support

BR
      HEBA
        • 1. Re: IPMP configuration not permenent
          Reidod
          Hello,

There are two ways of configuring IPMP. The first one called 'probe based' is by creating test addresses like in your case. The second one called 'kernel based' you don't need test addresses.

Simply put this line on your interfaces configuration file (/etc/hostname.<>) that you want to be part of the IPMP group:

solaris10 group mpath1 up

Then reboot. After reboot, test the IPMP functionality by using command if_mpadm -d <interface> to cause a fail over procedure and ip_mpadm -r <interface> to cause a fail back procedure.

Regards,
          Rei
          • 2. Re: IPMP configuration not permenent
            HEBA2008
            Hello Rei

thanks for your these information , it's new to me.
            excuse me to ask again , to make sure I understand right:
            - with this configuraation Active-Active?
            - "" if_mpadm -d <interface> to cause a fail over procedure and ip_mpadm -r <interface> to cause a fail back procedure"" , this is to test the failover, but I the actual failover in case of failure happens automatically?
            - which way do you advice me to go with?

thanks for your support
            HEBA
            • 3. Re: IPMP configuration not permenent
              Reidod
              Hi HEBA,

If you have, for example interfaces e1000g0 and e1000g1 that are part of the same IPMP group, if you issue:

if_mpadm -d e1000g0
              ifconfig -a

you will see that the IP data of the e1000g0 will be handled by e1000g1 interface. A logical interface e1000g1:1 will be created with the same IP configuration as e1000g0. The e1000g0 will show the IP 0.0.0.0.

If you give if_mpadm -r e1000g0, the logical interface will be automatically removed and e1000g0 will continue to work normally. Hope I explained it clearly.

Regards,
              Rei
              • 4. Re: IPMP configuration not permenent
                Steve H -Oracle
                are you sure the /etc/hostname.bge0 file is correct ?
                not sure what all the plus symbols shown in first post are and also broadcast is misspelled in the addif line
                /etc/hostname.bge0
                bscs-bl netmask broadcast + \+
                group production up \
                addif bscs-bl-net0 deprecated netmask brodcast + -failover up+
                it should look like this with bscs-bl and bscs-bl-net0 in /etc/hosts

bscs-bl netmask + broadcast + group production up \
                addif bscs-bl-net0 deprecated netmask + broadcast + -failover up