This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2013 2:26 PM by garcol RSS

call Oracle Report from APEX

garcol Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I am trying to call an Oracle Report from APEX. (4.2)

Does anyone know how this works? I have heard by URL?
The rdf/rep-file is on our file system, but how can I get the report running. I would be nice if a user clicks a button, the report will popup (redirect to URL when clicking on button?)

OF course I have searched on google, but I do not know what to use a URL.
  • 1. Re: call Oracle Report from APEX
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru
    Here is an old article that should help: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/apex/howto-integrate-oracle-reports-097845.html

Do yo have the reports server running on your network?

Thank you,

Tony Miller
    Ruckersville, VA
  • 2. Re: call Oracle Report from APEX
    garcol Newbie
    Yes, I have seen that old article.

I think we don't have a reports server running on our network. We also have an old ORacle Forms application, that runs reports via: c:\orant\bin\rwrun60.exe rep_name.rdf...
  • 3. Re: call Oracle Report from APEX
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru
    If you are running Forms apps, then you PROBABLY have the Reports applet running too... If not, then you CAN'T run Oracle reports directly from APEX< you need the Reports applet running to execute the report..

Thank you,

Tony Miller
    Ruckersville, VA
  • 4. Re: call Oracle Report from APEX
    InoL Guru
    that runs reports via: c:\orant\bin\rwrun60.exe rep_name.rdf
    That is the old client/server version of Reports 6i. You cannot use that in Apex. You need the web version if you want to call a report directly from your Apex app.

If a web version is not possible at all, and you really need this report to run from Apex, you may get this to work:
    - Create a batch job with dbms_scheduler to run an external command file.
    - This command file runs the report using rwrun60.

The problem is where to put this bat file. It will very like not be on the database server, but on some machine where Developer 6i is installed. So, you also need to enable running remote batch jobs with dbms_scheduler.
  • 5. Re: call Oracle Report from APEX
    garcol Newbie
    Every user has the c:\orant\bin\rwrun60.exe installed.

Does that help?
  • 6. Re: call Oracle Report from APEX
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru
    NO, since it is pretty much a BAD idea to run local applications through a browser. Instead IF you want to use those Oracle Reports, you will need to install the Reports server applet OR redevelop them as APEX report pages..

Thank you,

Tony Miller
    LuvMuffin Software
    Ruckersville, VA
  • 7. Re: call Oracle Report from APEX
    garcol Newbie
    Thanks.

The problem is, the reports are already developed and now started from a Forms 6i application. That application is migrated to APEX, but they still want to use that old reports. We don't have time to convert them to... I really don't know to what actually...

Simplest way is to start the reports from APEX, if that is possible. What is the Reports server applet you mentioned?
  • 8. Re: call Oracle Report from APEX
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru
    Well, you will need to convert them to a web enabled version of Oracle Reports: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/middleware/reports/overview/index.html

Then you will be able to call them via an APEX page, using a url to where the middleware is loaded and calling your report..

As noted earlier in the thread, you CAN NOT call a 6i report from a browser...

My suggestion would be, open the report file up in your designer tool, gather the SQL and layout and build NEW APEX Report pages...

You can fiddle around with your old rdf files and possible make them work a while, but in the end, you need to migrate them, since support for Oracle reports will be moving towards BI Publisher...

Thank you,

Tony Miller
    LuvMuffin Software
    Ruckersville, VA
  • 9. Re: call Oracle Report from APEX
    garcol Newbie
    OK thanks for you advise.

I will talk to the client tomorrow then...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points